Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steering column issues

So I have the clonk and have noticed something of interest. I recently swapped back to my 16" wheels for a short period (from 17") and the clonk virtually disappeared. My tyres were a little under pressure as well the wheels having been off the van for a while (couple PSI). As soon as the 17s went back on the clonk returned. Both sets of wheels are running 235 wide Dunlop Sports so its not a tyre pattern / construction thing. So just to mention if anyone is going to set up a poll ... the size of wheel might be of interest. Anyone here have the clonk on 16s??

Steve.

Mines on both winter 17s and summer 18s - both are factory sets of wheels/tyres.

factory 17's ....with 4motion DSG....it was fine before xmas after being greased then didn't use it for 2 weeks and the steering clonk was back with a vengeance when i got back in it....weather ( damp cold?) or lack of usage related?

I tried Choplees wheel adjustment wiggle trick and it does seem to help (I was a bit sceptical!) it does not solve it but has eased the symptoms a bit. Mine also go worse over Christmas whilst the van was just sitting so this also seems to be related to the amount of use the vehicle gets.

My larger wheel theory seems to have gone out the window mind!

Steve.

I don't think it relates to the use the vehicle gets, as mine is used everyday.

...but could there have a been a period where you didn't use it for it to set in?...just thoughts!

JcCali said:
...but could there have a been a period where you didn't use it for it to set in?...just thoughts!

Hiya, no - it moves everyday, except 4 nights at Silverstone in July.

Had phone call from VW on Friday stating factory in Germany looking at it and be at least 2 months before they expect a result from their investigations.

The clonk isn't anything to do with a change of wheels, we are still as standard and have the clonk..... we were told by breeze that's its because of the cold weather?
We were also told its only the right hand drive that has the issue AND its had it since 2010!! :!:
We need to get together and let them know that our hard earned cash has got us our calis and whilst we love our campers its NOT good enough that we are being fobbed off with excuses and timescales.
Has anyone tried to contact VW Europe directly?
We sent a mail last week, no response but then that's no surprise either. :sad
If anyone has or can find an email that is correct then we can swamp them daily with multiple mails stressing our complaints and hope that provokes VW into doing something....
A group of us may make a difference though? Can we do something?

apparently Vauxhall had the same issue and it was fixed by a spline rather than the sliding one that VW use.......... (info from VW technician)

i think the poll will help...that could be sent on to VW...!

We have the same problem. Our dealer in Swindon said VW are aware and have purchased a used Cali Right Hand Drive with the problem and taken to Germany to test (not sure if I believe the whole story, but apparently it does not happen on LHD versions). We are no on a list waiting for a call on what to do next!

We are waiting a letter to arrive to confirm the clonk is safe.....that's not really the issue is it? The fact is we want it fixed...........

We wont rest here as VW have known about this problem since 2010 on uk models, they are happy to take our hard earned cash, are you happy with that?

Once again we suggest everyone bombards vw uk with emails expressing your displeasure at the way we are being ignored and demanding to know when this fault will be rectified.

Hi all, took my Cali into VW Cardiff today for pre-arranged warranty check on a couple of items - as my van is two years old in October. Thought it was time I got on the waiting list for the dreaded roof corrosion repair too! I was told that VW were visiting three locations in the UK this week and, as luck would have have it, today they were in Cardiff. I don't know who from VW would be there, but as I had the steering column fault, they'd be taking a look at my Cali. I didn't expect any work to be carried out on my van today - I just wanted to make sure I'd registered faults "in warranty". When I arrived at VW Cardiff this evening I was pleasantly surprised to find they'd taken photo's to submit my corrosion claim - ordered a new drivers side sun visor (electrical prob with vanity light) - lubricated/sorted my sliding door catch - checked out an issue of soft floor behind handbrake - and, more importantly, and the reason for this post - fitted a new steering column which, they say, is a new modified part! I was asked to check out how the steering performs of the next couple of weeks and report back on any issues, as they are anxious to know if they have cured the fault. Apparently, mine was one of five new columns fitted today - although, speaking to one of the fitters, he said it was hard to spot any difference between old part and new.
Anyway, thought it was worth a mention. Also, when we asked today about them checking out our 1yr old T5 Kombi with the same steering issue, they asked if we could wait on the feedback on the new columns they'd fitted today - fingers crossed.
Cheers G

Also interesting is the soft (spongy) floor between the front seats
I always thought that was normal ! :eek:

Re: new "modified' steering column

Alan said:
Also interesting is the soft (spongy) floor between the front seats
I always thought that was normal ! :eek:
They all do it so must be normal

Hi, is the reason for your modified steering column because of a knocking noise on the steering when turning right at slow speeds. I have this problem on my 2013 California and not getting any answers. VW garage packed the offending part with grease, only lasted about 250 miles and the knocking returned. posting.php?mode=reply&f=5&t=8125#

yes, well known problem. Our 2012 cali & 2013 T5 Kombi suffered with exactly the same issue - time will tell if it's cured now!
Also quick thanks to Martin & Kev for their advice at Malvern re my auxiliary heater. When we arrived, late, at the campsite we noticed the heater symbol on the control panel was flashing, and we could not get the heater to work. I was suspicious that the dealership had caused a problem when they disconnected the battery to change the steering column, and other checks earlier in the week. Surprise surprise, when I phoned them on Saturday morning, they stated the problem would be nothing to do with anything they had done and must be a new fault. I asked if there was any action I could take to clear the "error" message on the control panel and restore the heater function - as I was on holiday with my kids and may need a night heater - I was told there was nothing I could do and would have to have it looked at in the dealership (when my sun visor is replaced). Well, after speaking to Kev & Martin I played around with the control panel and did indeed stumble across a reset for the heater error and restored function. Long winded story I know, but just another tale that highlights the apparent lack of expert knowledge that seems to prevail at some VW dealerships concerning £50,000 vehicles, whose owners really do deserve better.
Anyway thanks again guys for your help & for all the fun we had at the meet.
G

Has anybody tried the steering wheel adjustment that was suggested by somebody on here earlier this year?
I did it and my knock disappeared and hasn't come back since.
Basically all you have to do is release the lock on the column and rigorously adjust the wheel for maximum reach and rake in both directions. Sounds daft but it worked for me.

Back