Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steering Wheel Security Lock

M

muttley

Guest User
I suddenly became paranoid about the van being stolen with all our gear in it, just before our first week away over Easter. Just in case anyone else is of an equally nervous disposition, the details of the steering lock that I purchased are below:

4-tress lock from Eurocarparts + 30 pounds

As you can see from the photos, it is a bar type steering lock. It is a good fit on the wheel, and only takes a few seconds to put on or remove. It also fits nicely in the seat pocket between the driver's seat and the door when not in use - so not likely to club you round the head in an accident.

I am not sure how secure any of these devices really are, but I hope that it might prove to be some sort of deterrent at least.

Simon

van 003b.jpg van 004b.jpg

The big weakness of these devices is that to by pass it, is enouth to cut the steering wheel (hand saw 5 minutes, electric cutter 30 seconds).

I'm sure that's true - it is only useful as a deterrent. Once someone attempts to remove it, you have already lost.

I was told that the disklok which completely covers the steering wheel was better, then I found a video of someone driving a car with the disklok still in place (and the steering lock broken).

Mind you, I have also seen videos of BMWs being stolen in less than 2 minutes using a laptop and an OBDII cable - so any extra delay with the alarm sounding might be worth it.

Simon