Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Steinbeck

S

Steinbeck

Vehicle
Just browsing
Thus far I don't have a camper having joined this site to learn from the experience of others.
After many years of caravanning I bought a Swift Esprit 462 motorhome two years ago, and hated it. It was great fun to drive but the rest was ridiculous. I still had to drive 20 miles to the storage, had two vehicles to tax, service and MOT, and had less space than in my caravan. So I bought another new caravan.
However, many years ago I read Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck which seeded the dream for me.
Mostly alone I now find that to completely set up the caravan takes about three hours and not a lot less time to leave the site.
So... the thought of a camper has its appeal. I could sell my daily driver and keep the camper under my carport which would make those quick impulse trips more realistic and service the camper from my front door. It would also be my daily driver meaning one vehicle to tax and insure etc.

But, are campers really a young persons game? At 77 years, although in great shape, would a camper be a silly idea? A recent test drive of a fully loaded California was very enjoyable but... at nearly £70K it's a massive investment to get wrong. Of course, I could buy a second hand one for about £50k but even that seems a lot when my stunning caravan cost me half of that.

I know that I should hire one to try it out...

I will be very interested to follow this site. I am particulary interested in reading about the realities of life with a camper, without too much of the rose tinted comments by those who have only just taken the plunge.

In return, if any member is thinking of buying a motorhome I would be able to supply the hard facts of life with one, without being too negative. Each to his own of course.

Suggest you hire a proper California, as opposed to a conversion, chalk and cheese sir. If you can still climb stairs you can operate a campervan, age is not a limitation in my opinion.

I say go for it!
If it doesn't work for you then you'll find you can sell it easily and get most of your money back.
Provided you can slide the bench seat forwards and backwards then you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum,

You would be wise to go ahead and hire just as you have suggested in your original post.
It looks like you have all the pro's and con's of the alternatives weighed up so it really means trying to live in the California for a while is the answer.
Regarding the investment, I don't think there is any normal vehicle that has such great used residuals so that really eases the the burden when coming to sell on. It's not like a £50k car thats worth half that in 3 years.
The things that will come to light during the hire are the comparative lack of space from what you are used to and the requirement to frequently turn your bench seat into a bed unless you are spritely enough to use the colder top bed. Is this an issue with your physical fitness is the question. The cooker is only 2 burners but the top loading fridge is way better than I ever anticipated. Heating is just fine, economy should be around 40 MPG in the 150 version. No toilet of course.
You already realise there are compromises so it's how they fit with your needs.

Here is a suggestion....
Treat your self to an early autumn break on the south coast for a week. Book an Ocean from Mark at kamperhire @kamper on a late deal and drive down. Explore the new forest, and beyond getting a feel for setting it up and packing away.
Then again there is always the unknown Grande California but of course this takes away some of the day veicle practicality gained in the Ocean.

We are on our 2nd California our only "car" For us it works as a daily drive a day van down by the sea and a campervan for trips away. When away it is simple plug in the power - roof up and kettle on all done in a few minutes. Just back from Scotland and enjoyed watching other fuss around and take hours to set up their caravans. The big plus for us is we tour so only one or two nights at each site before moving on the quick set up and departure is a big plus.
We did not hire before we bought but had been tent campers and dad had a van in the 60s. If you were going to buy I sure a dealer may loan you a van for an overnight trial if you were 90% sure you were going to buy.

Welcome on board , what else can we say then , go for a Cali...!

Welcome to the forum. Try before you buy is a sound idea. I don't think your age is a limitation if you are reasonably active. Driving a Cali is very car like and they are easy to park. For me the only downside is the downstairs bed is not comfortable as I find it hard but there are solutions.

Many thanks for an excellent, and quick, set of useful replies gentlemen.
A minor update ; I have just returned from my local dealership having shown the California to my partner. She seems game for the inevitable compromises given that such a vehicle might well get us away more often.
In my starter post I might have given the impression that I am a little bit of an old boy. In fact I am very fortunate genetically with being fit. That means that the physical requirements associated with the operation of a camper will not be a problem.
There are questions of course. For example, when opening the side door in morning does one immediately freeze, or is the diesel fired heater enough to retain heat?
The list of optional extras seems endless. Would it be simpler to just buy a loaded demonstrator and assume that what I don’t know about I will not miss?

I do think that I am going to go ahead with this plan. Perhaps I’ll go to the caravan show and look at the Westfalia as well. That seems slightly better thought out than the Ocean.

I agree with the thought not to buy a fitted out van. I think the residual would suffer in comparison.

Many thanks so far. There must be many like me but, we all have to start somewhere.

Make sure you christen your van Rocinante!

“Rocinante is not only Don Quixote's horse, but also his double: like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.”

Ha ha .... is that me?

Back