Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

stereo and dvd advice

H

hotwaterjohnny

VIP Member
Hi all, can anyone advise on a good quality stereo and dvd system to replace existing one in my 3 month old cali. I was at cotf and briefly looked at the Kenwood type. Are they worth the money?

Why do you want to change it?

I'm a pioneer fan because I've got one! Mine's a sat nav as well but I think as a whole their stuff is pretty decent and a bit better than kenwood.
Not idea what the current models are like though as it's a couple of years since I looked.

FWIW I ended up with a Pioneer AVIC-F960DAB after quite a bit of research. The (I am told) 510 and the Kenwood (although it has an updated code) still use old satnav technology - their advantage is, of course, that they look 'OEM', but at what cost ... I had a 510 fitted, but luckily it went wrong, as I found the satnav really horrid!
The pioneer works well, although difficult to see in sunlight, but I guess this would apply to all of them.

Cheap and cheerful, possibly not the same build quality as Kenwood, Pioneer etc but all works well apart from the radio which doesn't hold station well with the AF. Lovely big screen.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TMC-8-Car-Ste ... 1c40d8259d
We have had one of these in our old Bongo for three years and now have one in the Yeti.
I have tried it in the Cali, direct swap (no new facia plate needed), all the canbus systems work fine (aircon, parking etc) but the Cali came with an RNS510 so I'm leaving that in for now.
The sound quality sounds excellent to me, certainly on a par with the VW units. We now have a separate DAB unit which we move from vehicle to vehicle to take care of the radio.
http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Pure_Highw ... radio.html
This either bluetooths across or plugs into the aux input.

Thanks everyone for your advice ;)

We have two units left at a price of £750 + VAT and if you are not local we can courier to you. If you are local or fancy driving down to see us we will fit for free.

cheers

Do you if you still have one of these units and also is it a straight replacement fit, I have the factory fit 310DAB option fitted with the glovebox connection so it should have everything in place but I wonder if there are any adapters needed.

I am in the UK often so delivery to the UK is okay but would you also ship to Switzerland (without the VAT) - the swiss tax is 8 per cent so it usually evens out when you factor in postage.

Yes we do still have these in stock. They are a direct fit/swap and we have an adapter to use the existing DAB aerial in your vehicle as well.

If you are interested please call Steve in our parts department on 01403 581242 or sned him a PM (smgcowfoldparts on here)

Many thanks

Back