Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

A cheeky request for information.

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Mrs B has a 2014 Skoda Superb with the Columbus touch entertainment system that appears to have developed a problem. I know it's not a Cali but as this unit appears to be the same as the RNS 510 unit in our SE can I be cheeky and ask has anyone experienced a similar problem with the RNS 510? If so how was it resolved.

The problem - Every Tuesday evening I wait for Mrs B whilst she attends her choral society practice session held at a local school. During the wait I usually watch a dvd on the Skoda's entertainment system. Well actually it's usually a little watching and quite a lot of dozzzzzzzzzzing. Tonight I was about three quarters of the way through this evenings feature when without any preamble the screen suddenly went green all over and the sound was lost. I've tried another dvd to no avail. All other functions appear to be working normally except the dvd function. Anyone had any experience?

The three year warrantee ran out last month! :(

Mrs B has a 2014 Skoda Superb with the Columbus touch entertainment system that appears to have developed a problem. I know it's not a Cali but as this unit appears to be the same as the RNS 510 unit in our SE can I be cheeky and ask has anyone experienced a similar problem with the RNS 510? If so how was it resolved.

The problem - Every Tuesday evening I wait for Mrs B whilst she attends her choral society practice session held at a local school. During the wait I usually watch a dvd on the Skoda's entertainment system. Well actually it's usually a little watching and quite a lot of dozzzzzzzzzzing. Tonight I was about three quarters of the way through this evenings feature when without any preamble the screen suddenly went green all over and the sound was lost. I've tried another dvd to no avail. All other functions appear to be working normally except the dvd function. Anyone had any experience?

The three year warrantee ran out last month! :(
Unfortunately no. But you could try this:

Does it still play Audio CDs and/or data discs? Proving the player drive is ok.

Unfortunately no. But you could try this:

Thanks WG,
I have just been out and sat in the car in order to try out your hard reset suggestion. However before I began I tried a dvd just to confirm that it still wasn't working, only to find that it's now back to full working order.

So the question is now, why did it stop working last night? I did a quick google last night and found a suggestion that these type of VW based sat nav/radio/cd/dvd units can stop working if they over heat. I think I'll give the garage a ring this morning and see if they've come accross this before.

Anyway thanks for your advice.

P.s Whilst watching a dvd I do run the engine every ten minutes or so for about ten minutes to avoid running the battery down.

I have just telephoned the Skoda main dealer where we purchased the car and their service department said, "if it happens again, bring it in as it may need a software update". That's fine but what I cannot work out is why would it suddenly need updating. Unlike a computer, I am not inputting anything that it wasn't originally designed to cope with. It was designed to play a dvd and that's what I asked it to do. Am I wrong?

If I watch a dvd at home the gubbins that you play it on doesn't require any updating between the time you buy it to when it enters land fill.

Is that not the standard answer? I.E. they have no clue how to diagnose or fix, so it's a software problem.

.me..

That's because many DVD players are just that a Player. The RNS 510 is more of a mini computer and software can be updated and improved.

Yes it plays audio discs. What 's a data disc?
A cd with for example an update for the navigation database, but as its playing music It looks like it's not a hardware fault.

The problem - Every Tuesday evening I wait for Mrs B whilst she attends her choral society practice session held at a local school. During the wait I usually watch a dvd on the Skoda's entertainment system.
Why aren't you in the Cali with your feet up and a cuppa?

Even though the warranty has expired it is still worth consulting the Skoda. I had a head unit fail 1 week out if 3 year warranty on a Volvo. Volvo made an 80% contribution to replacement.

Why aren't you in the Cali with your feet up and a cuppa?
You make a very good point.
I have done that on several occasions when we were off on a jaunt somewhere after Mrs B had finished her caterwauling. On those occasions I usually make up the bed, draw the blinds and have a kip until she reappears. We usually wild camp after having driven until the very early hours.

Regrettably we are finding that poor Margot isn't getting any where enough use at present. She is currently covered up outside our house other wise our local feathered fiends use her shiny black paint for target practice. Either that or they just like watching me washing their efforts off every ten minutes. We were going to escape in her this week but have become mired in DIY that's been long overdue. However we are allowing ourselves a day out in her tomorrow with a full monty afternoon tea in the back whilst parked up somewhere picturesque. So the kettle will be on and I will be resting my eyelids.

My money is on the unit overheating. Simple test is repeat the exercise and see if you get the same result.

Back