Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stolen??

There are scam sellers of vehicles on ebay.

Easiest thing to do is to pay for a vehicle check. They are not expensive and will show if vehicle is stolen, has outstanding finance, has been involved in accident etc.

Do not pay any deposits or pay for the vehicle without having seen the vehicle. Sounds obvious but it does happen.....a lot!

Hi Alan, yes aware, it was my world for 30 years , just found another one in Ayr also !
Just want to make sure no one is missing one as can’t ‘officially’ check any longer ! Thank you for your response

Hi Alan, yes aware, it was my world for 30 years , just found another one in Ayr also !
Just want to make sure no one is missing one as can’t ‘officially’ check any longer ! Thank you for your response
Is it the old “leave a deposit” and we’ll deliver? Lots of the scammers use genuine photos but obviously don’t own the van - and always live in the highlands or on top of Snowdon. I was caught out 15 yrs ago with a similar advert - I even saw the van locally, stopped them and called police - the owners were totally unaware. The police were pretty disinterested too!

It’s horrific isn’t it !!
It is @foxy1884
Didn’t stop us buying one but give whole family a real nudge into keeping our money safe. Lesson learnt. My mate now works with the police in dealing with all this stuff - he never goes into detail but there are some evil people out there who have no morals at all.

Yep that was my world for a long time - just know think they aren’t on it like they should be any longer

Like they say, If it seems too good to be true it probably is too good to be true. Ebay and Gumtree are the worst for this.

These vehicles are not stolen vehicles they are cloned accounts. Mostly the true account holders are completely unaware that someone else is using their account until it’s too late. Always using burner phones, never landlines.

Saw this recently on a Dutch website (marktplaats.nl) as well. Cali priced for an unbelievable price, I think it was a T6 for 25K EUR. Just follow your guts, if something looks too good to be true.... and never make an advanced payment for a vehicle obviously!

I think this answers the question

C435DC5F-102E-44DF-9429-D17F67C761A4.jpeg

The photo's and description will be often be of a genuine van that is for sale on another website. The frauster will just copy / paste the details and put a very low price on; Happened to us when we sold our T4, received a message from a buyer warning us that the van was also listed on Gumtree at a far lower price with different contact details. We contacted Gumtree and fraudulent Ad was removed immediatley.

Vehicle / Reg check etc will come back as OK as the van is genuine, but just not owned by the fraundlent seller! The seller will tell you that they have had alot of interest, but are away until next week so the van canot be viewed unitl then... and ask you to pay a refundable holding deposit (or full amount if they are pushing it). You will never see that cash again.

Always carry out usual checks before handing over any cash. Finance check, MOT History check (check mileage tallys). Ask for them to scan copy of the service history. Drive to the house that is mentioned on the V5, check photo ID of the seller matches that shown on the V5 etc etc. You can use websites like 192.com to check names against addresses for a small fee. + Usual rule applies - If it dosn't feel right, just walk away!

Seems a common scam.
On the colourful web site I found a Range Rover in Derbyshire at a good price.
Would you believe that the owner was on an oil rig out of Aberdeen and the RR was there, but would be reserved for a deposit etc. When I said that I would enjoy a trip to Aberdeen to view, all went silent.
Reported to the web site. It transpired that a genuine seller's advert had been hijacked and they were completely unaware of what was going on.

Seems a common scam.
On the colourful web site I found a Range Rover in Derbyshire at a good price.
Would you believe that the owner was on an oil rig out of Aberdeen and the RR was there, but would be reserved for a deposit etc. When I said that I would enjoy a trip to Aberdeen to view, all went silent.
Reported to the web site. It transpired that a genuine seller's advert had been hijacked and they were completely unaware of what was going on.
The oil rig shpeel is an old one. I would have thought they could come up with something more convincing by now. Buying or selling you need to be always 100% on the ball. There’s some very clever and convincing crooks out there.

Would have taken plenty of deposits if only they were smart enough to ask £20k not £10k.

I would buy that van at that price, the van looks good.
There are far to many cynical people in this world. A bargain can be had
if your savvy.

We bought 300 apples last week, price from the cash and carry was 166€
price from a market trader delivered was 56€
You do the math:)

I would buy that van at that price, the van looks good.
There are far to many cynical people in this world. A bargain can be had
if your savvy.

We bought 300 apples last week, price from the cash and carry was 166€
price from a market trader delivered was 56€
You do the math:)
Dunno the maths on that ... but 300 apples should make about 3 gallons of apple cider. Thats a lot of cider for next year ;)

The other one is moving abroad........................ seen a couple of those and when asked to view - oh we're abroad now but back soon - do you want to leave deposit??

So just to be clear, there are people who would actually send a deposit having never seen the vehicle ?

Yep - you'd be amazed how gullible people are. I'd never dream of doing it. All I have ever put a deposit on without seeing the product was my dog - a Drakeshead Black Labrador. Only reason was my own vet has his dogs trained by the breeder and said just do it. Dog was born evening of 24th May 2017 and paid deposit 25th May 2017. Within 4 days all 8 pups were sold UK wide!!!!! All have gone to excellent homes either as highly trained family pets or gamekeepers dogs!

Back