Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stopping luggage throwing forward

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm odd. I know this, but I want to be able to fill up the boot with luggage, but only to the extent that it touches the rear seats when they are at their furthest back position. I then want to drive with the rear seat in its furthest forward position (so passengers can easily chat to me). When I arrive I want to push the rear seat right back so that we can make the most of the space in camp mode, but without having to rearrange all of the luggage that has thrown itself forward over the course of the journey. Stuff on top of the rear mesh / bed is fine, I've got some bungees over the duvets etc on there. It's the plastic boxes, Thetford and levellers underneath that I'm concerned about. I'm stumped.

I've thought of anti-slip matting underneath the boxes, or bungees around the plastic boxes, but I want to be able to slide them out (from the tailgate side).

I can attach some cargo netting to the mesh / bed, but can't work out what to do with the bottom of the netting.

I've considered wedging a piece of wood there but that doesn't seem elegant enough for Potter.

Does anyone have any neat solutions that doesn't involve a drill?

Don't think thats gonna be easy , if under the shelf it just are plastic crates....just push them forwards agaings the seat once you put thatone in position .
It is also better to put more weight on top or in front of the rear axle insteed of behind it...;)

Couldn't you make up a couple of loop fixings to go in the floor rails below the rear shelf to attach net at floor level. Some people have posted on fixings they've made up.

Something like this?

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/looking-for-something-like-this-dog-fixing.2121/page-2
I'll have to familiarise myself with the mechanics of what is in those rails. Something like that loop that Kev made does look like it would solve the problem (when used with bungees). Cheers.

I solved this by using a piece of 12mm plastic sheet but plywood or anything solid would do.
A bolt slid into each seat rail with a flat washer on and a nut keeps the sheet in place at floor level and it's cut with notches at the top to fit into the holes in the rack. Everything stacks up behind the sheet and can't move forward. The sheet can easily be taken out if needs be. I'm away at the moment but can take a few pictures later in the week if would help

I solved this by using a piece of 12mm plastic sheet but plywood or anything solid would do.
A bolt slid into each seat rail with a flat washer on and a nut keeps the sheet in place at floor level and it's cut with notches at the top to fit into the holes in the rack. Everything stacks up behind the sheet and can't move forward. The sheet can easily be taken out if needs be. I'm away at the moment but can take a few pictures later in the week if would help
A picture would be cool. Had my first trip away last week and things did slide forward as I expected. In fact, it wasn't such a big pain to pull the plastic boxes back again, but it would be nice not to have to do so.

Pictures here. Hope this helps.

This a spare piece of plastic bargeboard left over from when we had new ones on the house.

Slotted to suit the rear shelf. Ours isn't full width as we put long items into the space. Could just as easily be made full width if required.

These are actually side rail fixings for a Comfortz topper. As we have a roll out awning these were spares so used them for this. They just push into the rails and can then be tightened up in any position.

OK here's my solution using stuff I already carry:-

IMG_9143.jpg
The ramps normally reside in the space between the seat drawer and the sliding table. If they're too long an inch or two can be cut off at the thin end without affecting their normal operation.

IMG_9142.jpg

In the green bag are my anti slip mats
IMG_9145.jpg

A tent peg here saves you holding the lever up as you move the seat and makes it much easier
IMG_9144.jpg
It's not your eyes, the photo IS blurred :D

I stopped my luggage being thrown when I fired the butler,

Can't stand drama queens :(

Another good practical solution motacyclist. I'll try that with my Thules. It would also create more space in the boot area. I could probably reach over the rear seat and pull them up for first job on arrival at site (or store in the passenger footwell area if not required). If necessary, I could attach a bit of wire (or similar) to stand up vertically from the ramp to assist reaching over the rear seat. Ah, I like this one. By the way, +1 for 'crumpled'.

Back