Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Storage pod on multiflex board

Must admit something bigger like that would be good. In a 3 bench seat would need it width ways to fit? I've seen twin units one with sink and one with cooker the a table that bridges the two when folded out.

Potential to sell multiple pods?

Hi SlidePods, I guess we are all different in our needs but having lived in a camper non-stop round Europe for six months I know what I'd want/need.

Basically a copy of the classic Westfalia three cupboard unit but maybe with slidey doors not hinged for access.

Ca-y-est-le-blog-est-ouvert.jpg

So, fridge (top loading, space permitting) on left, cooker and sink on right.

But with the independent flush fitting Smev type hob and sink (not combined) so good use of worktop space independent of use of appliances.

Or even more simple just a Smev sink and then the option to simply pop a stored cartridge cooker on top of the worktop or take outside.

Underneath fresh/waste cans in simple 10litre plastic jerry cans. At least one drawer. Table rail to take the VW table.

Access through the cupboard to the original VW trim panel storage.

Semi-permanent connection using standard VW rail fittings.

A quick connect fused multiplug to connect to the leisure battery directly for fridge efficiency.

That's it really - clean, simple (!)

I think there some great ideas here Max. Where it gets complicated with a removable / semi permanent unit with no back on it is stopping it from racking because it has a large aperture for doors (i.e a box missing x2 opposing sides wants to collapse flat). This is by no means impossible to overcome but to do it well so it looks OEM and is robust enough..... that's the trick. I would absolutely relish the chance to build this system for a 2 seat beach as I think its a brilliant practical use of space if your willing to sacrifice some of your full width bed (I'm a sleeping starfish kinda guy personally). Currently we are rushed off our feet preparing for our september production run of slidepods but I'm always interested in developing new pod ideas so for the beach and I would never EVER charge someone development costs! quite the opposite!

Found some more photos of mine that give an idea whats going on at the back of the unit.
I was worried about it going from being a rectangle to a parallelogram as well (the MDF mockup was rather wobbly). The fixed section under the coolbox provides support to the left hand panel and I have added bracing beams arranged so that they don't restrict access to the side trim storage. The other factor which helps with strength and stiffness is its an all glued structure using biscuit joints.

P1000960.jpg P1000963.jpg

P1000651.jpg

Not much room to drop the coolbox here.

The connection to the rails is via the VW fittings and in the first photo you can just about see the 12V cable and plug used to connect to the leisure battery. 240V does need a screwdriver to disconnect. If doing it again I would try and locate the consumer unit somewhere else away from the unit and have a plug in system.
Other change would be to not have a hinged top to storage area on the right hand side but instead have a large drawer in its place.

It amazes me that hookups with battery chargers and leisure batteries were not standard equipment on at beaches. I always locate a small consumer unit under the driver's seat when I do electrics this gives the option of a 240v plug on the back of the seat base. Believe it or not there is actually enough room under the driver and passenger seats to install all of the following.....

X2 110ah AGM Leisure batteries
X 30amp whisper quiet battery charger
X1 small consumer unit
X1 300w sinewave inverter
X1 240v power selector (supply plugs with mains power when on hookup and inverter at other times)
X1 10 way blade fuse holder

Then in the seat base backs...

Digital volt meter
X2 240v sockets
X2 12v sockets
X2 usb sockets
Etc

It does make it pretty full under there and leaves no room for a webasto outlet but this doesn't worry me as I retro fit heaters exactly as vw did through the lower B pillar using all the genuine ducting.

I've managed to put my leisure battery, split charge relay, 12V control box, battery charger & 3 gang 240V socket in the beach side pod with 12V sockets, USB sockets & two 1 gang CBE sockets all positioned in the front of the pod, access is via the top lid with a waeco top loading fridge positioned behind the hinged lid, the consumer unit is fitted at the rear above where the scissor jack used to be mounted, this way I can connect hook up either through the rear tailgate or through the sliding door window, I didn't fancy having to connect under the bonnet or under the rear bumper. Also my hook-up cable has an extra RCD at the end where it plugs into the site electrics.

Useful Info. I'm pondering a second battery under the drivers seat to extend the time I can run the waeco without hookup.

I have a charger I use but it would be good to hide it all and have it permanently in place.

Great work there Owen.

Slidepods - (this is all IMHO) but the narrow 1.15m bed in the vast majority of full side layout VWs with wardrobe simply makes the bed too narrow for anything but very occasional use by couples unless you sleep like Egyptian Mummies.

But the full 1.5m of wider beds is not needed at full length either only really for the first 2ft so your head/ shoulders/arms have a lovely 1.5m wide space and your legs happily lay in the remaining 4ft length which is 1.15m wide. This is like the older Leisuredrive Daytime, Bilbos Weekender, maybe even Remio Cityvan etc. Makes a great compromise and much more usable. The panoramic windows all round and no wardrobe gives a much more airy feel too.

So, I'd just copy the Cali Se/Westy Cali kitchen run as noted ditching the wardrobe or anything in it's place, stopping the unit at the backrest (ie where the 2 seat beach storage box ends) and leaving the full width flexy board. Or go super narrow a la Reimo Cityvan or a dual width kitchen a la Bilbos Komba.

So, the three part unit here, maybe slightly wider:
Reimo-City-Van.jpg

cityvan-wohnraum-1_698.jpg

I like these cartridge stoves, you can then take it outside easily, they only cost £12 at Decathlon including 4 cans of gas and if you buy the gas in bulk they come close to £1 each which makes them cheaper than Camping Gaz 907's etc. Much easier to store them and buy anywhere.

Main difficulty is to find a top loading Waeco that builds in to leave full worktop. As I say a small sunken Smev 8005 or smaller looks super neat.

I'd forget any built in electrics and leave that to the customer. Twin fresh/waste tanks are fine for VW size use and much easier to fill/clean.

In summary, I'd like the option of flat pack carcass only with doors, shelves, drawer. And option for one with Smev and/or fridge fitted.

I just did a quick rough and ready sketch - will take some juggling but I'm sure it could all be fitted in.

So fridge maybe with separate compressor to left with same type of opening worktop as Cali SE. Smev sink sunken with glass lid as usual on right.

Under sink is flap to match drawer in middle with shelf to store pans under sink.

Second shelf under this to store cartridge gas stove which simply sits on top of worktop.

Water storage under stove storage.

Doors match to middle and RH side.

Cutlery drawer to middle top and shelves below in cupboard.

Trimmed in blue with vertical dividers/construction as per the T4 Cali unit I pictured further up this page to match Beach decor.
pod-max.jpg

With regard to finding a coolbox that fits into the available space one option I considered was a built in top loading box and locating the compressor unit underneath in that hard to access area alongside the sliding seat . Based around something like this:
http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/shop/product/700/ Or you can even build a fully custom shaped coolbox using the compressor and cooling plates.
This was all getting a bit complex (and expensive) though. Then found the coolbox for a good price and that swayed my decision.
This sort of setup would make it much more a built in rather than removable pod setup. With a built in fridge my pod would be to heavy to lift in and out easily.

Agree on the benefits of the small removable stoves. Mine can be removed to use outside by undoing a single thumbscrew. Downside that I have noticed is that when the cartridges are almost empty the gas pressure drops quite a bit.

Hi Owen, that's the sort of thing I had in mind, not sure in the SE (see pic below) but I think Waeco make the same sort of thing and mount the fridge/compressor separately, could work well here. But it gets expensive, perhaps just a mini self-contained Waeco that will fit in the space might work.

zdjecie.php

As said though really you just need the RH lower Cali SE unit complete - the fridge must end up over the wheel arch so VW fit the large fridge and compressor in somehow.cali kitchen.jpg

I'm really enjoying the ideas cropping up in this thread. From everything said here there are plenty of you who are prepared to sacrifice a bit of bed for the ability to cook inside who have 2 seat beaches.
So let me see if I'm right a good design would feature.....
Sliding or tambour doors
Sink with waste and fresh water
Removable stove
Cutlery drawer
Maintain ability to swivel passenger seat
Optional part of pod to go on multiflex board
Retain ability to use storage pockets at the side of the van

I'm going to start really churning all the ideas from this thread over the next few days and I'm thinking maybe...... forum group buy to make this style of pod and keep it good value buy passing on bulk savings on goods :thumb:thumb:thumb our September production run is pretty much full now but would a great way to kick off October in the workshop.

I'm going to throw in a few suggestions from my end..... no integrated coolbox or fridge so you don't need to buy a specific coolbox to be able to utilise it with your pod in case you already own one and it's not the right one. I would also suggest a glass top unit with independent glass lids for sink and hob. Can have recently released the GR1765 which is shorter than the smev 9222 so gives you more worktop. This can also be run (using the right regulator) off 500g gas canisters, thus negating the need for a big heavy (dangerous) 907 bottle. Then for outside.... A nice shine NEW cadac safari chef 2 which we are lucky enough to be one of the very first stockists of ;);) can't even find pics of it online yet.

I would agree on the fridge, I have a CF40 which I use either under the bench in the rear or in the front fixed down. I personally dont want a pod to put the fridge in, I would be looking for storage etc.

We've been looking longingly at the Cadac lately, I shall await the 2 with baited breath. :)

Hi Matt we will have the cadac 2 in later this week. We are still setting our online shop up but if you give me a bell I could do you one for early next week if you like :thumb

I can't this month as its the GFs 40th but I might be in the market for one in late September I think. :)

Last edited:
Owen, hope you had a good trip. :)

If you have time some could you help out with some measurements please as I'm just designing a pod in more detail (if I ever find a Beach to buy)?

Just need the length from the front multiflex board front (ie where the standard storage pod in the 2 seat beach goes up to) to the cab edge on the floor (ie rear edge of seat base). Also the depth from NS rear bench to van side trim.

And height to lower base edge of window frame.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Hi
Yes had a great trip thanks. Must do a bit of a write up on it and report back on campsites.
Will send the dimensions but they are a bit dependant on the height at which I take them. So Will also send you dimensions of my pod which I have as a pdf.
Slight delay as away again on business currently but travel back today.

Thanks Owen, safe journey. :)

If you want to email I'm on max(REMOVE THIS)poilu(AT)+++++(DOTCOM)

Feel like I've gate crashed the Beach section good and proper today! As I've mentioned on a couple of other threads I'm in a spin deciding between the 2 and 3 seat options. I know I'm going to want a fridge and (I'm sorry to say) a porta poti. Somewhere to have a small cooker would be a bonus. Not worried about a sink at all.

With the 3 seat I could put the fridge and poti on fixings one behind each seat and move them out to the boot or a tent when parked up. I really want the big flat bed in the 2 seat but not so sure it will be as versatile for essential items.

So what I'd like to see for the 2 seat is a pod that replaces the storage box, cupboard by the front seat with room for cooker and some storage including for something like theThretford 335. Then as you move back this would drop down to a simple plinth for securing a fridge of choice, ideally with a little cupboard underneath.

But I'd like all this to be really compact so the fridge bit has room for a fridge but with some surface area left free towards the rear so you could add a cushion and have say 3ft of full bed width at the back instead of 2ft.

I could try drawing this but essentially not dissimilar to Owens (but simpler in terms of electrics) or this one from Maxxcamp...but just squished up towards the front and with a plinth for the fridge to sit on which matches the height of the current storage box.

You may have noticed that I'm not as technically minded as the rest of you. Sorry about that but hopefully you get the idea :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+ Max - I have send you a mail with the drawing and dimensions. Let me know if you don't receive it.

+ Steve, I think I can imagine what you are describing. The Maxcamp was where I nicked a lot of my ideas from !.
I had a check if it would be possible to fit a Thetford in my pod if I wanted to. On the right hand side it would be difficult as the existing VW side trim sticks out quite a way. On the left hand side storage 'hole' its almost possible but the way I have build the rear support strut makes the depth to small and I don't think the sliding door would open enough to get it in easily. Why not either keep it under the multiflex board and bring it out when on site or when 'needed'. Granny Jen has a cover for hers and I think keeps it in the living area.
I can see that a sort of half width version of the pod giving a bigger bed area would work though. Sort of cut the right hand side off mine and shift everything a foot to the right?

Not at the moment. We are flat out on launching x3 new designs of slidepod and the next thing in the pipeline will be the inslidepod.