Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strange Smell?

As above, But, do you use the AirCon regularly?
If not has the system been sterilised?
Hey WelshGas…the van is probably used very infrequently these days on daily trips as I work from home and cycle into the office on the odd occasion I am in. I have just run an aircon cleaner through so will see if that helps. Initial thoughts centred around the wind out awning which was left wet during Glastonbury and only remembering a few weeks after (post heat wave) but that was wound out and cleaned (unless mould is in the mechanism) The awning is external so that wouldn’t leech into the van interior would it ? I would struggle to see how it’s anything engine related as you say as the smell is there with Pugh the engine being on.

Hey WelshGas…the van is probably used very infrequently these days on daily trips as I work from home and cycle into the office on the odd occasion I am in. I have just run an aircon cleaner through so will see if that helps. Initial thoughts centred around the wind out awning which was left wet during Glastonbury and only remembering a few weeks after (post heat wave) but that was wound out and cleaned (unless mould is in the mechanism) The awning is external so that wouldn’t leech into the van interior would it ? I would struggle to see how it’s anything engine related as you say as the smell is there with Pugh the engine being on.
If the smell lessens after AirCon cleaner then probably worthwhile changing the Pollen filter. If no change check the carpets, passenger side footwell, between front seats and check behind kitchen cupboards for leaks from sliding window.
Leaks from sliding door window normally fairly obvious.

Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this ? We’ve had our van about 15 months and it has developed an odd smell, I can only characterise it as a cross between stale cigarettes and something rotting. We’ve cleaned the van out and disinfected, Miltoned the waste and water tank but the smell still remains and hits you when you open any of the doors.
I am guessing that the deep clean included the fridge? Have you had your nose in there recently?

I am guessing that the deep clean included the fridge? Have you had your nose in there recently?
Yep the fridge is smell free, always gets a clean after use and the lid left opened to air. Also per WGs advice checked windows, carpets and cupboards for any sign of leaks and nothing .

Surely a leaky EGR would throw a code and stop DPF regens, which would also throw a fit?

Yep the fridge is smell free, always gets a clean after use and the lid left opened to air. Also per WGs advice checked windows, carpets and cupboards for any sign of leaks and nothing .
Nothing in the "no mans land" behind/under the bed?
The bit of the floor that is normally covered by the bench seat.
The bit I hate cleaning. Sliding the bench all the way forward and clamber in over the bed extension !

Surely a leaky EGR would throw a code and stop DPF regens, which would also throw a fit?
Reading about this on the T6 forum, apparently not. The smell is normally the first sign. Maybe the pipe that commonly fractures is on the output side, so leak may decrease as it heats up and it would only leak if EGR valve was open. I'm not totally aufait with how the EGR valve functions under different engine conditions but I would have thought it would be closed during DPF regeneration.

Nothing in the "no mans land" behind/under the bed?
The bit of the floor that is normally covered by the bench seat.
The bit I hate cleaning. Sliding the bench all the way forward and clamber in over the bed extension

Nope all moved and checked even washed the mattress cover from the top bed. We are away in it this week so will check, although with roof open all weekend the smell is usually negligible….. or maybe we get nose blind

Nope all moved and checked even washed the mattress cover from the top bed. We are away in it this week so will check, although with roof open all weekend the smell is usually negligible….. or maybe we get nose blind
As an update….tracked the smell to the grey water tank drain out pipe, so must be coming up through the plug hole. The drain pipe smells like the smell in the van so that seems to be the obvious source. I have rinsed the tank out with Milton but guessing you if there is grot in there and with the recent hot spell it’s turned stinky.

As an update….tracked the smell to the grey water tank drain out pipe, so must be coming up through the plug hole. The drain pipe smells like the smell in the van so that seems to be the obvious source. I have rinsed the tank out with Milton but guessing you if there is grot in there and with the recent hot spell it’s turned stinky.
I'd have another lukewarm fill up 2/3 full and go for a drive. Get the Milton sloshing around in there before rinsing again

Back