Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Strange tyre wear

Whilst I am here, have had some work done today and have my tyre report showing 7 mm apart from front n/s showing 6 mm.
They have done 6000 mls. I am guessing that if a wheel were to spin on uptake / take off then it would be that one???
4D68BE41-95F9-4B79-83F8-BA9C1268D405.jpeg

Whilst I am here, have had some work done today and have my tyre report showing 7 mm apart from front n/s showing 6 mm.
They have done 6000 mls. I am guessing that if a wheel were to spin on uptake / take off then it would be that one???
View attachment 44833
Hi theoretically yes the short drive shaft to that side makes the possibility for the wheel to spin up easier. All nice and level wear though so all good :thumb

View attachment 44833
Also, because we drive on the Left side of the road, Left hand bends tend to have a smaller radius than Right hand bends so more scrubbing of the Right hand front especially on FWD vehicles.
On the Continent the reverse is true and the Left Hand front is affected.

Also, because we drive on the Left side of the road, Left hand bends tend to have a smaller radius than Right hand bends so more scrubbing of the Right hand front especially on FWD vehicles.
On the Continent the reverse is true and the Left Hand front is affected.
You could add the weight transfer (due to body roll) to the right side unloading the left making it more prone to spinning.

With Adaptive Cruise control fitted, it seems that the local tyre place can't do the tracking. Vw quote is £130-£190 + vat and not for weeks. Grrrrrr.
What does this quote include?
1 tyre + tracking or is that just a hidious price for tracking?

Hi definitely a tracking issue the wheel is towing in however the inside looks a bit worn off as well so possibly it’s a little under pressure or it may just be the angle of the photo. As for an earlier comment about any garage changing tyres then yes any garage with the tyre equipment can however the problem lies with adaptive cruise control or emergency city breaking if you have the geometry (tracking) of the vehicle adjusted then the garage requires special equipment to carry out the calibration of the radar sensor to the angle of the rear axle and not every garage has that equipment. Vw dealers nation wide have the equipment as it’s mandatory for us to have it and there are some National windscreen centers over the country that can carry out the work. However I would always recommend going to a vw centre as we are specificity trained on the vw/Bosch system.
Just a query

Assuming that the Factory aligned both the wheels and the radar correctly any later wheel alignment utilising a full 4 wheel computerised system would set the wheel alignment back to 'factory' spec and require no radar alignment.

If as in this thread the tracking had gone out should it have generated a DCC or emergency braking fault?

If I just may bump this thread, and ask the original poster what EURO classification is your California?
I have a problem with my 2010 140hp CCHA engine. It is stated as EURO 4, but it is acutally a EURO 5 engine.

Just a query

Assuming that the Factory aligned both the wheels and the radar correctly any later wheel alignment utilising a full 4 wheel computerised system would set the wheel alignment back to 'factory' spec and require no radar alignment.

If as in this thread the tracking had gone out should it have generated a DCC or emergency braking fault?

I would love to say that everything is set perfectly from factory but it’s not, and the instructions from vw are that after every adjustment the radar must be reset it has parameters to work within and yes it will throw a fault code if there is a major issue but with that type of system that can take over your braking and control your speed I’m sure I would rather have it spot on than have it applying the brakes when they are not needed. Systems are in constant development and the new crafters system is self calibrating I’m sure the system on the T6.1will probably be the same.

I clearly missed something but is there a simple explanation of why the tracking impacts the radar auto cruise control?

I clearly missed something but is there a simple explanation of why the tracking impacts the radar auto cruise control?
Hi the radar is set to the angle of the rear axle and that’s adjustable.

Hi the radar is set to the angle of the rear axle and that’s adjustable.
Thanks @VW Guru, but I'm still not understanding. Why does a system that worries about what's in front, and controls acceleration and braking doing worrying about the toe-in or otherwise of the rear axle?

Thanks @VW Guru, but I'm still not understanding. Why does a system that worries about what's in front, and controls acceleration and braking doing worrying about the toe-in or otherwise of the rear axle?
It’s more to do with the driving axis of the vehicle imagine that both the rear wheels were pointing toward the middle of the road so pointing right of the vehicle chassis the front end would be pointing at the curb the sensor would be seeing the curb not the road infront now angle the sensor to the right and it’s looking straight at the road ahead. If the sensor is lined up with the rear axle then it is in a straight line with the driving angle of the vehicle and detecting everything ahead and not anything else.

View attachment 44833

Where you live can make a big difference, the number of roundabouts in Milton Keynes has a huge affect on on tyre wear on the passenger side fron.

Where you live can make a big difference, the number of roundabouts in Milton Keynes has a huge affect on on tyre wear on the passenger side fron.
Basingstoke is very close behind Milton Keynes re. roundabouts
To make it worse for pollution and free flow they are putting bloody traffic lights on them 24/7. Grrr