KalitheCamper

KalitheCamper

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Stonehenge is perhaps the world’s most famous prehistoric monument. It was built in several stages: the first monument was an early henge monument, built about 5,000 years ago, and the unique stone circle was erected in the late Neolithic period about 2500 BC. In the early Bronze Age many burial mounds were built nearby. Many can still be viewed from the Henge. At the site there is a visitors centre, museum, cafe, shop and examples of round houses (believed to be a real example of how Neolithic humans lived). You can either walk to the Henge (about 30 - 40 minutes with slight inclines, pathway is even along a safe restricted lane) or via a shuttle bus running every 5 minutes.
A fabulous place to visit, and a spiritual one for many. You can’t access the stones (unless you attend the solstices) however you can get close. Price wise, entry fee I suggest is a little expensive at £30 per adult (2024 prices) however - we chose to take a joint membership to the National Trust which allows free entry and parking. The price of our membership was £151 - so far after previously visiting Avebury Henge and now Stonehenge, we have already recouped £110 of that investment, and with so many sites locally, and across the UK - it was a no brainier.
I would certainly recommend looking into how a National Trust or English Heritage membership could potentially save you money if you are interested in visiting what is a breathtaking Neolithic site in Wiltshire.

IMG_0146.jpeg

View attachment IMG_0150.jpeg

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0159.jpeg

IMG_0144.jpeg

View attachment IMG_0143.jpeg

Great post about an amazing place!

Living nearby for the last decade or so I’ve never actually paid to visit the stones and visitors’ centre - although I keep meaning to.

We do however frequently take advantage of the free parking at Durrington Walls (What Three Words: space.developer.satellite and spillage.clarifies.plastic - no height restrictions), then walk from there via Woodhenge, the Cuckoo Stone, along part of the Larkhill Military Railway, by King Barrows, then approach Stonehenge itself via The Avenue.

That last part, where you rise out of a dip on the ancient processional way to see the stones in front of you, is always spectacular.

You’re pretty much as close to the stones then as the paying visitors, separated only by a waist-high wire fence.

The circular route is 4 or 5 miles, depending on whether you take in the Cursus on the way back.

There’s a great Time Team Special giving context about the whole landscape around Stonehenge and an interpretation of the relationship of the wood and stone used for the two neighbouring henges.

Here’s a National Trust guide to that walk:

There are also some great road and gravel bike rides in the area. After a few decades I’ve finally reconciled myself to living ‘down south’ due to this landscape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the post !

I remember taking our kids to Stonehenge at couple of times, some 15-20 years ago and at that time being able to walk thought the stones, inside the circle, no restrictions imposed.
Having experienced that, I completely lost any interest of visiting again, despite having being a NT member for years and having driven past the site a dozen of times at least in the last few years.

If only they’d put a 30ft fence/hedge along the A303 to stop all the rubber neckers and alleviate the traffic chaos. A lot cheaper than building a tunnel and it’ll keep Swampy happy

Agree. The A303, A31 and A34 are my least favourite roads ever and probably because of where I live I seem to spend a ridiculous amount of time stationary on them.

Stonehenge is perhaps the world’s most famous prehistoric monument. It was built in several stages: the first monument was an early henge monument, built about 5,000 years ago, and the unique stone circle was erected in the late Neolithic period about 2500 BC. In the early Bronze Age many burial mounds were built nearby. Many can still be viewed from the Henge. At the site there is a visitors centre, museum, cafe, shop and examples of round houses (believed to be a real example of how Neolithic humans lived). You can either walk to the Henge (about 30 - 40 minutes with slight inclines, pathway is even along a safe restricted lane) or via a shuttle bus running every 5 minutes.
A fabulous place to visit, and a spiritual one for many. You can’t access the stones (unless you attend the solstices) however you can get close. Price wise, entry fee I suggest is a little expensive at £30 per adult (2024 prices) however - we chose to take a joint membership to the National Trust which allows free entry and parking. The price of our membership was £151 - so far after previously visiting Avebury Henge and now Stonehenge, we have already recouped £110 of that investment, and with so many sites locally, and across the UK - it was a no brainier.
I would certainly recommend looking into how a National Trust or English Heritage membership could potentially save you money if you are interested in visiting what is a breathtaking Neolithic site in Wiltshire.

View attachment 129733

View attachment 129734

View attachment 129735

View attachment 129736

View attachment 129737

View attachment 129738
Great post and like other we live near by, regularly drive past and have not stopped to visit. Also good shout on the National Trust membership, we keep saying we must use it more and this is a great example.

I never realised that National Trust members could visit Stonehenge free. I'm a retired ex-EH staffer so have an EH pass, so we go there from time to time - good visitor centre museum. But I remember walking among the stones as a child, and it's disappointing not to get anywhere near them nowadays.

I never realised that National Trust members could visit Stonehenge free. I'm a retired ex-EH staffer so have an EH pass, so we go there from time to time - good visitor centre museum. But I remember walking among the stones as a child, and it's disappointing not to get anywhere near them nowadays.
I’m pretty sure NT members don’t get free access to any EH sites. Be chuffed if I’m wrong!

No, definitely seems to be the case at Stonehenge. EH Stonehenge ticket info says:
'National Trust (England) members are entitled to free entry to Stonehenge and can book by selecting the ‘Associated Organisation’ option.'
It's not general, but particular to Stonehenge, though it is probably the case in a few other places too.

No, definitely seems to be the case at Stonehenge. EH Stonehenge ticket info says:
'National Trust (England) members are entitled to free entry to Stonehenge and can book by selecting the ‘Associated Organisation’ option.'
It's not general, but particular to Stonehenge, though it is probably the case in a few other places too.
Thanks that’s worth knowing
Great, for NT England members…….. I’m NT Scotland!

Well hopefully you can get into some Historic Scotland properties free!

NT And EH are both exceptionally good value. Whenever we are travelling in the UK we use their excellent Apps to see if there are any properties nearby and often lunch in their cafes. Have discovered all sorts of very interesting locations we would never have seen otherwise. EH send regular member emails with links to educational webinars and podcasts which are great for all ages, as well as details of the special events hosted by their volunteers during school holidays.

On the subject of Stonehenge which is not far from us, a few years ago we wondered why there were loud helicopters flying over our garden. It turned out that Barack Obama was attending a G something meeting in South Wales and Stonehenge was on his bucket list.

We bought NT life joint membership for each other as a sort of wedding present, that was (ahem!) 35 years ago and I think it was maybe 600 quid or something. It's embarassing how much value we've got out of that, even with inflation. It makes me a good tipper in the cafes anyway. And quite smug of course. I have an NT badge on the back window of our Cali but really its main purpose is to aim the tow hitch when reversing up to trailer.

You certainly do at Stonehenge as it is maintained by both. Parking too - all explained on the Stonehenge website. Not sure if any others, it may be exclusive to Stonehenge.
I hadn’t appreciated that both organisations looked after the site. I wish they’d amalgamate! Having two memberships is just a bit pricey.

Last year I visited Stonehenge and yes I got in with my NT membership I also spent the night in my Cali on the dirt track next to the Henge and woke up with a fantastic view of the Henge through the mist.Henge.jpg