Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Surprising benefits of the Cali

m10chkcalifornia

m10chkcalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Very new to Cali ownership so just beginning to realise some unexpected benefits.

We set off on a short break yesterday - not camping but to stay at an Airbnb, taking elderly mother-in-law for a bit of a holiday. Decided to use the Cali: more space, easy packing and the ability to take her places and make a cup of tea /picnic. All excellent benefits.

Then got stuck on way to her in complete traffic chaos. A1 shut due to accident and we are held in a closed section - for nearly 2 hours. This would normally spell disaster. Dogs getting stressed (one needs medication), us getting stressed. As it was I got in the back, got them a drink, some treats and meds (washed down with the pate we had in the fridge). Gave ourselves an impromptu picnic. Excellent! If it had gone on longer we could have set up a tea bar and made our fortune!!

It is a superb vehicle, not just for camping in!

I love having a fridge. Being able to be anywhere and buy some local produce without the need to rush home to get it refrigerated is really useful among other benefits.
Agree very useful and far better than a cool box with frozen blocks.

We bought it to use it as a travel van and not just a camping van. Ability to stop, snack, have a cup or cold drink, tend to the dogs, change clothes, take a nap, read, or just relax admiring some great view is priceless....then a Hilton de luxe room completes the day. :)

I live in a two bedroom apartment in the middle of Bologna. My daughter and her friend are visiting and I'm on nightshifts. The van is parked in an underground carpark so I simply pull the bed out and sleep down there while they are visiting !

When things go wrong on the roads - crashes, snow, closures etc the Cali with all season tyres is probably the best vehicle you be in.

A few years back two of us plus our German Shepherd were driving between Manchester and Leeds. Sudden, heavy snow closed the M62 so we were diverted onto the much smaller A62. It looked like we were going to get stranded.

As it has the night heater and we always keep bedding, tinned food etc ... the Cali took the stress out of the whole scenario. I reckon we were 10 minutes away from being stranded as the A62 also became impassable- but we made it back.

This scenario contrasted vividly with a family Christmas in Hertfordshire about 20 years ago. We left early on Christmas Day to return to Manchester ahead of a morning Boxing day flight to Canada. Our suitcases, passports etc were all in our Central Manchester flat.

By the time we reached the M6 the forecast snowfall hit. The outer lane of the M6 was soon impassable. The middle lane was in trouble and getting worse by the minute. Driving that car in top gear like a hearse it just drifted about six feet from the middle to the outside lane. Was weighing up whether to pull into a service station in this cramped little car and hope that the road got cleared overnight v taking chances ploughing on.

We carried on, made it back that day but it was an awful experience.

I did get stuck on the M62 the first time I towed a caravan. It was not pleasant and after a bit more drama because it then developed damp*, I now have a Coast. Equipped with toilet, much easier. I don't actually camp but it's a very good daily driver with options.

* top tip if you buy a caravan, use a local dealer and also Bailey's customer service was abysmal.

I trump your Ikea flat pack, we’ve just transported 5 beds (frames with mattresses, one a superking!), all linen, curtains/poles, 6 bikes (4 folding variety), 2 dogs and 2 adults to Spain! Kept the rear seat in and still managed to sleep upstairs on route. Had to have a few goes packing mind!

It is a Beach though…

7EEE0B2C-3EB3-4D97-870D-9068DB419E17.jpeg

I trump your Ikea flat pack, we’ve just transported 5 beds (frames with mattresses, one a superking!), all linen, curtains/poles, 6 bikes (4 folding variety), 2 dogs and 2 adults to Spain! Kept the rear seat in and still managed to sleep upstairs on route. Had to have a few goes packing mind!

It is a Beach though…

View attachment 125889
Impressive packing skills right there :cool:

My Family would say thats Dad packing

And you've still got an unused two cubic feet of space!

It is a Beach though…

View attachment 125889
So what did you put in the boot lid where the chairs should go ??!

Holidaying in Ireland where the weather can be mixed the van really comes into its own … particularly on beaches where we can change into swimming gear, shelter from the wind, make the obligatory ham sandwiches and cup of tea, play cards round the table…. Absolute game changer.

I don’t think I can beat the 5 beds, 6 bikes etc packing and driving to Spain, that is seriously impressive

However, we’ve found an unplanned use for ours as a mobile home office. We only bought our van last November and planned a summer road trip round Ireland but an unexpected cancer diagnosis meant cancelling that for this year. However, instead of regretting our very expensive purchase, it’s really made our lives easier. We’re a long way from the hospital, too far to come and go twice in one day when I have chemotherapy and I’m there for most of the day so my husband works in the van in the car park on treatment days and doesn’t have to use up all his annual leave driving me to appointments. Of course it is also fantastic to look forward to a weekend away in the van at the end of each of my treatment cycles too. So no regrets, I’m so glad we went ahead and bought the van (even with the leaky bellows) and the big road trips are still to look forward to.

Back