Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bungee benefits?

IMO
The reason the club sells this item is not to get rich , the price is not gonne bring in loads off cash in for the club.
The reason they sell it is , as a handy tool preventing the canvas getting caught in the mecanism. A new canvas wil coast you approx. 100x the price off a strap.
So the nonbelivers or the ones worry about the wearing the strap might cause or the estetic looks off their canvas , don't go for a bungeestrap
Mine stayes on ;)
Having one "in" the Cali is useless , who is gonna bring it on in wind and/or poring rain when you do dicide it could do the job ? Yourself or the wife.....:D
If you buy one , use it .

Just to add, we have had quite a few big VW dealerships ordering the bungee over the past year, some have been ordering quite a few! Wonder if they are sending them out with their new vans?

Just to add, we have had quite a few big VW dealerships ordering the bungee over the past year, some have been ordering quite a few!
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

I'll buy a bungee but I'm not sure it will be a permanent fit. Guy, the dealer, also told me that he was not convinced by them. I can see the benefit while putting the roof down in bad conditions and so will have one in a drawer, just in case, but I'll take it back off at the first opportunity.

I'm sure the canvas is durable but constant rubbing by another strong fibre, which the bungee is presumably made off, has to take its toll eventually, surely? Plus, the factory didn't fit one and there has to be a reason.

Of course, I've not tried one, but, if you touched a tent outer with anything in the wet, it causes it to potentially leak - does the bungee make the middle more likely to leak when it's up?

The other factor would have to be how much tension the bungee puts on the canvas when it is down - is it still tight at all, or does it sit slackly inside the roof? If it's slack then I see no harm when down.

As I said, I'll still get one anyway - just in case.
With a canvas roof - something touching the inner surface in wet conditions allows water to "wick" through. The Bungee is on the outer surface. So no problems.

Just to add, we have had quite a few big VW dealerships ordering the bungee over the past year, some have been ordering quite a few! Wonder if they are sending them out with their new vans?

So i have to refrase my post....
It does bring in lots off money for the club! :thumb

Like anything in this world that you buy there is going to be something to make it prettier, mor efficient, more cleaner, more aesthetic, more green, more original etc.

The joy of owning a Cali is to have a base vehicle that is superb in itself but then offers unlimited capacity for adaptation.

The bungee is not essential but it helps. It does no harm. I have had no capillary action leaks from it, no distortion of the canvas, no undue fabric stretching. It is not foolproof, nothing better than a mark 1 eyeball for that, but it helps.

At the end of the day it is a choice. I did not need to buy a cover for my porta potty but I did because I think it looks nicer. Not a necessity, just a value judgement based on me and what I like.

Its really is scarey just how many roofs I see that have had the canvas caught either in the rear scissors or trapped in the very front when closing. I'd estimate 7 out of 10. I've even pointed damaged out to folks who didn't realise it was there! I've also seen in trend in the aftermarket roof scene where people are starting to fit bungees to avoid this issue. As many have said before its a no brainer for the cost and I personally have the piece of mind that I have one fitted to 'help' me when the roof is lowered. The normal checks are still needed but why not have a helping hand??:thumb

I've just fitted one. I reckon there will be just as much wear caused be the repeated creasing of the canvas where it folds as the rubbing of the cord, so I'll chance it!

My bungee was supplied by the dealer, VW Llandudno Junction. The guys there said they had started supplying California's with them after a member of the sales team damaged belows in the showroom and they realised just how easy it was to trap the canvas in the mechanism.

Personally I think it is a must have, I gave my dad a demo of the roof in very windy weather, not the best idea, anyway the roof came down without any issue helped all the way by the bungy. It's staying on.

Expecting delivery of my T6 early March and have ordered a bungee - however at 5'3" was wondering how I was going to fit it on my own. Thanks for the tip - I'll get the dealer to do it for me before collection.

Bellows got caught in the guillotine poorly designed roof mechanism. When I seen how sharp the edges was I was shocked its no wonder here are so many damaged and the material used is like paper, will try and get this under my warranty as operated it as per the book and it still happened. The edges of the metal should be rounded to get rid of the sharp edge.

Bellows got caught in the guillotine poorly designed roof mechanism. When I seen how sharp the edges was I was shocked its no wonder here are so many damaged and the material used is like paper, will try and get this under my warranty as operated it as per the book and it still happened. The edges of the metal should be rounded to get rid of the sharp edge.

The canvas will get replaced when the roof paint is repaired, so don't worry.

Our van came back after roof repair so without the bungie. When checking the returned van/work and putting the roof down without it , it was quite noticable how much more care is needed when not using the bungie.. Having used the device since they 1st come out I would say this is the most import add on to a Cali owners shopping list when kitting our a van.

My bungie was in the van waiting to be fitted LOL! when it happened:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Sorry, but I don't see how it could have been operated as per the book if it got damaged. The mechanism does have sharp edges, I believe for a reason. If rounded then the bellows could get jammed instead of guillotined and the roof lowered assymetrically which could twist and damage the roof panel. I've had my roof up on at least 100+ occasions without a problem.
I think you will have problems getting VW to accept this as a warranty claim.

I stil managed to get the canvas in the mecanism even with a bungee fitted....
The wind in Norway was that hard i did not wanted to open a door realised to late i had to....did the correct procedure many times before ....
One moment of distraction could be it.
Glad mine got bearley no visible damage.

So , a bungee helps a lot , but you still need to be cautious!

Since then i leave the roof windows open a bit , not zipping them fully closed ;)

get a Beach / coast - manual roof carefully lowered while you watch and control the process. if you manage to damage a manual roof then you deserve a marco polo

we got our van from the preston dealer and yes the salesman there gave good advice but yes was a little anti - bungee. but as you say for £13 opposed to the cost of new bellows .. we ordered and fitted a bungee. you can hardly notice the cord , blends in well

get a Beach / coast - manual roof carefully lowered while you watch and control the process. if you manage to damage a manual roof then you deserve a marco polo

If the full SE / Ocean would come with manual roof i would take it.
Less weight , less worry 's , less that can get broken/ failure.

The Coast has a man. roof , but has other downsides compared to SE/ Ocean Making a Coast a Ocean by specs , makes it much more expencife than buying a Ocean.

And the Coast is not to buy in the UK...

Sorry, but I don't see how it could have been operated as per the book if it got damaged. The mechanism does have sharp edges, I believe for a reason. If rounded then the bellows could get jammed instead of guillotined and the roof lowered assymetrically which could twist and damage the roof panel. I've had my roof up on at least 100+ occasions without a problem.
I think you will have problems getting VW to accept this as a warranty claim.
My roof was asymmetrically when I got out to check it by about 6" on the passengers side, bellows still got jammed. They should be rounded as would prevent cutting into the bellows as they still jam. After looking at the Mazda bongo I have had for years with no problems with its electric roof or bellows I noticed that they had rounded edges, was just a thought that maybe VW have not realised.
Called my dealer and it goes in on Thursday to be checked over as it has a few issues with it, hope they do cover the roof under warranty, will let you know.

Back