Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

To replace or not to replace...

G

gdg

We've currently got a 2007 Cali - we love it but would consider upgrading to a newer one although unsure if there are any tangible benefits from doing so other than everything being a little more shiny. Anyone done this and have a tale to tell? I'm struggling to understand what has changed substantively since 2007 and the most recent models.

Cheers in advance.

We've not got any - you saying the later ones have the problem? Apologies - I know its a big topic but I haven't picked up which years this mostly affects.

Biggest change is the engine, other changes are very small ie kitchen cabinet colours, seating cloth etc ..

geezerg said:
We've not got any - you saying the later ones have the problem? Apologies - I know its a big topic but I haven't picked up which years this mostly affects.

from 2006 to 2014

John :headbang

geezerg said:
We've currently got a 2007 Cali - we love it but would consider upgrading to a newer one although unsure if there are any tangible benefits from doing so other than everything being a little more shiny. Anyone done this and have a tale to tell? I'm struggling to understand what has changed substantively since 2007 and the most recent models.

Cheers in advance.

I am facing similar dilemma.
Having a new van is tempting. Also I think I would go for a 4-motion Beach, if so.

But... When I read how many problems people on the forum have with the new models, it makes me think to stay with the current 2007 one. It is 130 000 km now, so the time is: either to sell it now, or keep it for another 15 years with no-matter-what-mileage.

In fact when I list the number of major repairs, within last 2 years, and between 70 000- km and 130 000 km, which I made in the last 2 years, it makes me thinking that there will be nothing major to do anymore soon.

The failures were:
- Earth Shunt.
- Leisure batteries (replaced as precaution rather than necessity).
- Coolant pump (replaced as precaution).
- Exhaust manifold (bended)
- Oil cooler (leakage resulting in oil being mixed with coolant, major cleaning and all rubber and plastic elements replaced in coolant circuit).
- Mc Pherson columns top side bearing replaced.
- Lambda sensor
- Control panel knob
- Thermostat

The above list seems to me shorter than average list of failure in the new vans.

Also I like the 5 cylinder and no timing camp belt :p
Polyroof is also nice, but costs little more fuel consumption and goes to 2nd category on the French toll roads.

Regards
Andrzej
-

We have the 174 PS Auto model still running well - with only 30k on the clock. To be honest as I read a few of these posts it makes me think that our trouble free Cali is one to hold on to. Other than the earth shunt being sorted under warranty, and fixing one of the igniters - the van has been faultless.

Sometimes the grass aint greener??

Same here - I went through the changing my cali stage, but now I'm more than happy to stick with it, the roof corrosion is the main problem for me, I wouldn't contemplate buying another until I knew that was properly sorted out which could be some time!

i have a 2006 calie ,been ok .just not as good as my t4 westie was ,units etc .been running very good .had to do drive shaft as its a fault that vw did not grease the splines up from new .had a small clonk when pulling away .cost for part was £450 from vw .its there fault be will not say it is ,i have had splits t25 t4 now t5 calie .NO way would i have another . :thumb .as for my roof front panel its not good . :sad .had it painted but still getting bubbles :headbang :shocked

well despite all the current roof probs I am still seriously investigating trading up for a DSG auto box version! I still think the Cali is best T5 conversion around...

think these are next best thing .you can have the units you wont .not what some one else has chosen . on lay out .http://www.vanworx.co.uk all roofs and seats have been cash tested .and fitting has been tested .cost them a lot on money to get this done .and you can have LWB van :eek:

Back