Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Switch to 18" wheels?

Custardtart

Custardtart

I'm (again) thinking seriously about changing my 17" thunders for some 18" wheels - I think the anthracite sportlines would go well on my olympian blue Cali.

I've already got 30mm lowered springs.

Could anybody who's made the change from 17 to 18" wheels (and especially if lowered also) tell me how much difference it made to the ride?

I guess it's got to be a bit firmer - but is it noticeable?

My concerns would be (i) discomfort for passengers and (ii) introducing rattles.

Thanks all.

Just remember that you won't "officially" be able to use an 18" spare. You can keep the 17" one as the tyre radius is fine but I should think any buyer would want all the wheels?

It's a major reason I stuck to 17s plus I am a bit of a small wheel favourer.

I don't think you'd notice any difference - it's only the massive wheels where things get silly. A mate just stuck Overfinch 22s on his T5.1 van and it' not only looks comical, it also rides like it has no suspension. Oh and it rubs the arches too :headbang :lol:

Re: Switch to 18" wheels?

Custardtart said:
I'm (again) thinking seriously about changing my 17" thunders for some 18" wheels - I think the anthracite sportlines would go well on my olympian blue Cali.

I've already got 30mm lowered springs.

Could anybody who's made the change from 17 to 18" wheels (and especially if lowered also) tell me how much difference it made to the ride?

I guess it's got to be a bit firmer - but is it noticeable?

My concerns would be (i) discomfort for passengers and (ii) introducing rattles.

Thanks all.
I found that 18" wheels (on my initial Cali) followed the camber in the road significantly more that 17" wheels. I did get the tracking on the 18" checked. It meant that even on dual carriage ways etc if was constantly adjusting the steering to stop it drifting to the left.

I recently swapped my 17" inch Thunders for 18" bi-colour Dakars. I do notice a difference when hitting deep potholes (sometimes it is just unavoidable) - it is much more jarring, but other than that there isn't really any difference in general driving.

Simon

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to try and get a go of a van on 18"ers and lowered springs tomorrow and see.

I think the van isn't great at absorbing lumps and bumps as it is so really can't decide whether to go for them or not.

Thanks again.

I have 20" on my california and the ride is really nice, looks good too :) go for it.....

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk 2

Factory lowering springs plus rated 18's with 103 rubber fitted and I think the ride quality has improved immeasurably.

You get the same jarring as before but without the rebound, wobble, shake and general vibration as you do with the tall springs - it has progressed from a crash to a solid thud; the additional inch in width of rubber on the road also makes the van track more cleanly and with greater feel. It still leans in the corners but at a significantly reduced rate.

I was tempted to go for some good quality coil overs as the good ones that I have felt improve the ride quality another level again, the issue for me though was over all value and for the price of a decent set of coil overs I picked up wheels, tyres and springs.

I am steering clear of a front spoiler and keeping at the factory height of a 30mm drop so as to retain some ground clearance in the fields.

Another key factor in ride quality with these vans is tyre pressure; when set from cold (stone cold) and at the measures listed on the door shut of the drivers B pillar you get a decent ride - I always check mine when back from dealers, they seem hell bent on over inflating them!

Interesting comments.

We test drove a T5 with 30mm lower springs and sportlines at the local dealer before ordering our wheels.

Your comments are identical to Mrs Custardtarts - the biggest change she noticed was the (pleasant) reduction in rebound and bounce. She was happy that the benefit of that outweighed any increase in the hardness of the ride which was minimal (between lowered 17" and lowered 18").

So I've ordered anthracite alloys - but they're taking a while to turn up.

I've no plans to put a spoiler on either - they look ok but I'd rather have the clearance. I'm not after a race van (what's that anyway) - I just want it to look a bit more planted/sturdy on the road.

Still undecided about the parking heater - mine didn't come with one so considering a retrofit but I've had a fair bit of trouble with rattles and squeaks so am worried in case the work introduces more problems - ones that the main dealer will walk away from. Anyway - that's for another topic.

Anthracite Sportlines are now on the van - I'm very pleased! :bananadance

They look great and there's no real change to the ride (compared to the 17" thunders I had before) which was my big concern.

Sportlines Wheels.jpg

Looking good!

Next winters project will be to drop the bus onto some high end coil overs....the more I see T5's lowered with the tyre just inside the wheel arch the more I like it.....

Those sportlines look great - I think 18's are the perfect match for a factory Cali :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Custardtart said:

They look great and there's no real change to the ride (compared to the 17" thunders I had before) which was my big concern.

Looking great, these are the same wheels I have been considering this weekend. Would you mind letting me know what they cost you ? Pm if need be. I only ask because my local VW dealer is quoting me that he can do them me for cost at ÂŁ1100 + vat and that's without tyres :shocked seems to steep for what I'm sure I was quoted ÂŁ990 all in by SMG at COTF 2013.

Cheers

Steve

Got 18" Sportlines and Sportline springs on mine now and the difference is quite amazing, feels a lot less wallowy and the lean and understeer on bends/roundabouts dramatically reduced.
Ground clearance is still good it doesn't look slammed either. No warranty issues and only a small loading on insurance. Very glad I did it.. oh yeah and it looks great :lol:

I've bought Oggies van and as he says the van has 20" wheels on it and as he says the ride is good. Unfortunately the rolling radius is 38mm too big and I don't want to reduce the profile of the tyres and reduce the ride quality. I bought a delivery mileage set of Thunders but now think I would like 18s. Has anyone got any images of an old shape Cali with 18s? I'm thinking old style Sportlines, possibly in gunmetal if VW did such a thing? Images or sources of wheels would be great. I've checked eBay but I can only find silver ones.

Custardtart said:

Your bus is yummy BTW :clap I'm glad there are a few people out there who are into modding their Cali. There seems to be a strong purist following which I totally get..... But I've always loved custom motors

I've gone down the 18" wheel route this week. I feel the lower profile tyre has hardened up the ride a little but nothing too drastic and it corners lovely, more car like than before, not messing with suspension though :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399704587.947968.jpg

Rubbadub said:
Your bus is yummy BTW :clap

Cozmo - that looks excellent - I think the black wheels look ace on your silver facelift van.

Custardtart said:
Rubbadub said:
Your bus is yummy BTW :clap

Cozmo - that looks excellent - I think the black wheels look ace on your silver facelift van.

Thanks mate :)

Does anyone have any thoughts on the Tyre Mobility Kit instead of a spare steel wheel? I was looking forward to fitting 18" Springfield Alloys but the thought of a temporary kit is worrying!

They work if you are able to pull over before the Tyre is too badly damaged. Most Tyre Fitters will refuse to repair though, blaming the sealant. This is untrue but you will end up paying for a new Tyre.
Remember though. If your Tyre is very part worn you may have to replace both tyres on the axle if you have a 4Motion to keep the rolling radius equal otherwise you could damage the Haldane coupling.
Bet the Dealer didn't mention that!