Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 Cal split charger repair

J

jps

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi, i have a T4 Cal that has an issue with the charger unit. I have seen many threads about repairing them/ swapping them out for a different unit. The new units work but you don’t get the plug icon on the control panel. you are looking at £100 plus for one of these units and £500 plus for a the existing unit!.

I have a guy that is willing to revers engineer the existing one and change the components for new parts. effectively this would be a modern existing unit! in the first instance this would be some background work on his part. but he thinks he could do this and for less than the £100 we pay for a replacement unit- my question is -
Are there other people out there who would be interested in this?

That would obvs be ideal, but only as and when people require it. Go for it and post his details here.

That would certainly be of interest - there has been a spate of Westy charger failures over the last 12 months, not really surprising due to the age but we all face the same issue:
Gunzl: €600 plus delivery for original NOS
Fraron: €200 plus delivery for a modern replacement with original functionality (not completely plug and play)
CTEK (or similar): £100 for a good charger but more awkward to install and doesn't give 100% functionality

I went for the Fraron option personally (cost/effort/performance) but I would have rather put an original unit in. I still have the burnt out charger at home and would be happy to offer it up for a trial if required?

A regular vac out with the Hoover to clear out the dust and a blast with an air line of the charger unit will help prolong its life. I'm convinced its the build up of dust/fluff in there that leads to an over heat.

A regular vac out with the Hoover to clear out the dust and a blast with an air line of the charger unit will help prolong its life. I'm convinced its the build up of dust/fluff in there that leads to an over heat.

It certainly doesn't help - from what I have seen though on mine and others, the failure is within a couple of the larger Aluminium electrolytic capacitors. These by the nature of their design and manufacture have an estimated life span (depending on use) of approximately 15-20 years due to the sealing materials deteriorating over time.

The excessive heat and build up of dirt in the cupboard they are mounted in will certainly shorten the life - one source I have read previously estimates a 10ºC increase from the nominal operating temperature will halve the life span of these capacitors.

Its not overly surprising then that these chargers that are ranging in age from 25 yrs to 16 yrs old are now failing quite regularly.

If anyone is still running the original charger I would certainly recommend that they check it regularly for early signs of failure - burning smell, bulging capacitors, scorch marks on components and connectors. Whilst the circuits are generally well protected, it's not worth the risk of an electrical fire, especially one that is buried deep in a inaccessible location.

so what this guys is proposing is striping and rebuilding the old unit with new components. The advantage i see with this is that you will have the original unit that it will work just as designed. hopefully for another 20 odd years. he’s an electronics engineer for a very well know race team. He knows what he is talking about.

im reluctant to pay 100s of pounds for a new unit that only fix's part of the problem. i would like the unit to be as designed and have all the functions.

so what this guys is proposing is striping and rebuilding the old unit with new components. The advantage i see with this is that you will have the original unit that it will work just as designed. hopefully for another 20 odd years. he’s an electronics engineer for a very well know race team. He knows what he is talking about.

im reluctant to pay 100s of pounds for a new unit that only fix's part of the problem. i would like the unit to be as designed and have all the functions.
Would he be any good at looking at / fixing my control panel?? Before I bite the bullet and order a new one ? Not sure what's up with it just nothing is working ? Cheers Nobby

Sounds like he knows what he's doing. The old charger looked fairly rudimentary, component wise. I plumped for the fraron unit before I had a failure due to all the issues others were having. This dude sounds like a handy person to know though.

Hi there any chance of this guys details as would like a burnt out unit revamping please

Hi, i have a T4 Cal that has an issue with the charger unit. I have seen many threads about repairing them/ swapping them out for a different unit. The new units work but you don’t get the plug icon on the control panel. you are looking at £100 plus for one of these units and £500 plus for a the existing unit!.

I have a guy that is willing to revers engineer the existing one and change the components for new parts. effectively this would be a modern existing unit! in the first instance this would be some background work on his part. but he thinks he could do this and for less than the £100 we pay for a replacement unit- my question is -
Are there other people out there who would be interested in this?
Yes i'm interested. Has there been any progress?

Hi, I have left the company I was working for when I posted this, so don’t have any contact with the guy who worked on my charger.
what I can say is he took it apart and replaced some of the components. He said it was a simple job in the end.
Mine has been working fine since.
If you can find anybody with a little electronics understanding who has the time then it’s worth a go. With the cost being what they are.
I would say I agree with others that have said just swap it out for a modern version if it’s going to cost you money though.
Sorry I can’t be any more help.

Back