Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 California draining the fresh water tank

Hubble

Hubble

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I'm having trouble draining the fresh water tank. I've located the lever in the rear cupboard, under the removable panel, but it doesn't do anything. I've checked under the vehicle and I can't see any caps on the drain pipes that would stop it draining. Yes, there's water in the tank.
Anyone had this problem?

Interesting. Not a problem I've experienced to date. Have you tried removing the water filler cap? There may be an airlock. If that works - winner! It's also recommended to pull the fuse for the water pump and open the tap so all the water in the pipes drains back to the tank and out. If it's not an airlock the only other alternative is to use your tap and pump the tank dry then at least you'd be able to get in and replace the drain tap - it's a pretty basic in-line valve from the looks of things. Just a fiddle to get to being in the back cubby.

Thanks. I'll give it another try bearing those things in mind.

Let us know how you go. In case it proves useful - 701070816E is the part number for the valve.

One other option in case it's blocked, connect a hose to the drain and blast back up into the tank.

With the filler cap off etc it did drain but very slowly, just a trickle. There's loads of crud inside the tank and pipes so I'm going to take the whole lot apart and clean it. Any tips for getting the tank out?

Haven't taken the tank out of ours to date. Hoping not to - it looks bit of a fiddle. At a glance it feels like the wardrobe would need removing to allow the tank out. Personally I'd be tempted to see how good a job of cleaning it could be done in situe. Having had the cap off to investigate waterpump shenanigans I know even that won't be the simplest of tasks. :mad:

Back