Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

t4 california/westfalia shore to battery power switch is stuck!

R

Redlyne_mr2

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
The switch on the "fault current protector" is stuck. I had a small space heater plugged in while connected to shore power and I think it tripped a breaker. I can't find any sort of breaker switch in my 92 Canadian Eurovan t4 westfalia/california. I don't want to force the switch because it will most certainly break, I can't imagine why it's stuck in that position. Has anyone had this happen before? Here is a pic of the assembly.

thanks
https://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/Gue.../Shops/GuenzlClassicParts/Products/701070514A

In afraid this makes little sense.

The trip switch in your van has tripped and is now stuck?

In afraid this makes little sense.

The trip switch in your van has tripped and is now stuck?
Yes the black switch on the box posted in the pic will not move, its stuck open/closed. I don't see any other circuit breaker.

Is the heater still plugged in?

Do you have power anywhere in the van?

Has a breaker tripped at the “shore” end?

Is there a smell of burnt components?

Nope heater is unplugged, although, the tiny red/black reset button might be jammed and the outlet still thinks there is a device plugged in. I have power from the aux battery, just no shore power.

Breaker on the shore end was fine, there was power.

No smell of burn components.

I'm going to see if there is an issue with the outlet and report back.
thanks for the help.

My RCD is like this. My test switch doesn't work, it doesn't trip, so I pulled it down manually once and it cut off the power, but then I couldn't get it to go back up. Eventually I just kept pushing it up and it's stayed up since. So a jammed switch could be possible.

IMG_20180216_101532252_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180216_101532252_HDR.jpg

Hmmm. It sounds like it’s knackered.
I wouldn’t like to rely on it if the test button (which mimics an earth fault) doesn’t work.

Time for a new one.

Hmmm. It sounds like it’s knackered.
I wouldn’t like to rely on it if the test button (which mimics an earth fault) doesn’t work.

Time for a new one.
Thanks - will look into getting a new one fitted. I've never really used the 240v yet anyway but still want it to be safe

I just solved this issue. The Todd Engineering Mini-Panel MP15 circuit breaker on-off toggle is a cheap series 43 switch that binds up. Easily replaced, unscrew the four screws holding the fascia to the cabin then pop-out the two finish washers to get behind the panel and replace the switch.

Back