Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 or T5? and more

Noeleen

Noeleen

Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi!
I am new to this, looking for a good quality (even if simple spec) custom made camper.
:?
Can anyone advise if a May 2012 registered Cali is likely to be a T4 or T5 or is that a silly question?
Is it a given that a custom made vehicle is classier than a conversion? That it is quieter and is less likely to fall apart?
Is 140bhp lively enough to enjoy the drive or is it sluggish? My car is a 2008 Volvo S80 and it is powerful - I wouldn't like to be driving a "slow" camper.

In anticipation, many thanks.
Mangan

Mangan said:
Hi!
I am new to this, looking for a good quality (even if simple spec) custom made camper.
:?
Can anyone advise if a May 2012 registered Cali is likely to be a T4 or T5 or is that a silly question?
Is it a given that a custom made vehicle is classier than a conversion? That it is quieter and is less likely to fall apart?
Is 140bhp lively enough to enjoy the drive or is it sluggish? My car is a 2008 Volvo S80 and it is powerful - I wouldn't like to be driving a "slow" camper.

In anticipation, many thanks.
Mangan

Hi Mangan,

Welcome to the forum.

A 2012 VW Transporter will be a T5 face lift version. The T5 launched in 2003 and is still current.

The 140 is OK but not as powerful as the 180bhp and you will need to be aware of this when pulling out into traffic if you don't want to get an angry toot. If that worries you then they can be remapped to improve power, turbo lag and fuel consumption. It is after all a van, so will not be anything like your Volvo.

They are good at eating up long runs, can cruise the motorway at 70mph all day. You sit high and the driving position is comfortable with arm rests.

Camping build is made from an ally sandwich sheet and not MDF or Ply, and the noise comes from the stuff rattling about in the cupboards. One down side is that this is a RHD vehicle built in a LHD design, so the sliding door is on the right and the front passenger seat swivels round to face the end of the sink unit. Not ideal but OK when abroad, and a small compromise to make to get a vehicle that makes me smile every time I drive it.

I spoke to someone this week who liked the Cali but felt it was too expensive. They bought a low mileage panel van, 64k mls apparently, and spent £47 on the build. Add the cost of the van and they were very near the cost of a new Cali.

Hope that helps

Alan

Hi Alan and thanks for the greeting

Glad to hear of the ally sandwich stuff and that there's no ply or MDF. That explains how it is more professional. I am going to test drive an SE TDi 140 in a dealer's at w/e. As this summer's weather has been so good so far, and my forecast is for more of same, I am desperate to make a purchase asap.

I don't mind about the door opening on outside of vehicle, have had that before in the ugly Fiat Ducato motorhome which almost gives me nightmares to remember, due to it's size. I hope to be more discrete in my travels in a Cali.

Hope you have a good summer yourself!

N Mangan

Hope the test drive goes well.
Let us know if you do buy one. Lots of support on here should you need it.

Alan

Hello again Alan

Bought my Cali and drove back to Ireland. Was deflated initially as van not valeted and hand over was sloppy and delayed. Didn't have time to find out about leisure batteries, how/where to turn on/off/charge/etc so have a lot of manual reading to do. I also didn't find a spanner & jack anywhere in the van. What I thought was toolkit turned out to be first aid kit. I will get on to dealer when business opens. Do you think perhaps they didn't supply any?

Kind regards

N Mangan

Mangan said:
Hello again Alan

Bought my Cali and drove back to Ireland. Was deflated initially as van not valeted and hand over was sloppy and delayed. Didn't have time to find out about leisure batteries, how/where to turn on/off/charge/etc so have a lot of manual reading to do. I also didn't find a spanner & jack anywhere in the van. What I thought was toolkit turned out to be first aid kit. I will get on to dealer when business opens. Do you think perhaps they didn't supply any?

Kind regards

N Mangan

Did you buy a SE or a Beach?

The SE has a cooker and only seats two in the back as a result and an electric pop up roof. I have a SE, so know about this.
The Beach differs slightly and others can advise you better than me on this version of the Cali.

The SE has two leisure batteries. One in the back in a locker under the wardrobe, the other one is under the front passenger seat together with some fuses. They are charged along with the engine battery from the alternator when driving. When you hook up to the mains, there is a charger installed that will charge all 3 batteries. You don't need to do anything (except make sure the RCD in the rear cupboard is on) the charging is automatic.

The tool kit is contained in a box at the bottom of the back of the rear seat. It can be easily overlooked, particularly if you have stuff in the back already.

There is a delivery check list in the download section on the forum which will help. You need to be a VIP member to access this though.

Enjoy your first trip.

Alan

Back