Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T4 California or T5

Manfridas

Manfridas

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hello everyone,
We don’t have California yet but thinking of getting one,as we have T5 multivan at the moment,I have little kitchen until fitted for short one or two nights staying away from home and I just dreaming about getting a cali so we can go away for longer trips,but why californiaclub members don’t have much to say about T4 from 2000 and upward. My question is: are they not good? Or is here just rich people who buys T6? I previously had 2 of T4 vans,one was for work a transporter and another after that was caravelle and now we got T5 multivan,but I have to say T5 is no where near as reliable as my old T4’s. We can’t afford off buying new so two options: good tidy T4 California or yearly year T5 California?

F1CF5B6B-E149-4614-B885-3CCAEBD764DD.jpeg

DF00DC8C-DE27-4A1E-8ABD-8554C7A621DC.jpeg

95C0D620-A124-4386-8FA7-63199C0BA74B.jpeg

Welcome , the forum original started out as a T5 California forum and then added the T4 section .
The T5 and now T6 is more common now a days compared the T4 as they are less arround due age.
I do think many T5 owners on here owned a T4 before ....not me doh ....i'm with the "rich people" owning a T5, as you say (or think) . Wich i was rich doh , i'd buy a T6 or even a Grand California :D

The vast majority of T5/6 owners don’t even know the 4 exists let alone that it was the forerunner of the 5.

Back in the day I had to ask to get the T4 section included on this forum.

Anyway I’m a 4 aholic sinply because they’re the worlds best kept secret.
They’re completely indestructible in every sense. They’re from at time before vehicle construction meant lightning every component in order to achieve stringent emissions targets.

They represent excellent value for money. The later 4s have an identical configuration internally to the early 5s.

Two years ago we updated our 93 T4 to a 2003 version. I’ve always liked the 5 but I couldn’t justify an extra £10k for simply a updated model that wouldn’t do anything more or better.

The main drawback is the left hand drive thing. Personally I no longer notice and we do a lot of Euro road trips I see it as a n advantage. Many people just don’t like the concept.

If you’re serious about a 4 then search on Mobile.de and import one yourself.

The vast majority of T5/6 owners don’t even know the 4 exists let alone that it was the forerunner of the 5.

Back in the day I had to ask to get the T4 section included on this forum.

Anyway I’m a 4 aholic sinply because they’re the worlds best kept secret.
They’re completely indestructible in every sense. They’re from at time before vehicle construction meant lightning every component in order to achieve stringent emissions targets.

They represent excellent value for money. The later 4s have an identical configuration internally to the early 5s.

Two years ago we updated our 93 T4 to a 2003 version. I’ve always liked the 5 but I couldn’t justify an extra £10k for simply a updated model that wouldn’t do anything more or better.

The main drawback is the left hand drive thing. Personally I no longer notice and we do a lot of Euro road trips I see it as a n advantage. Many people just don’t like the concept.

If you’re serious about a 4 then search on Mobile.de and import one yourself.

Thanks for taking your time for long honest thought,appreciate... You are thinking like me,to spend 10k more for the early T5 is it worth it as its not gonna do anything more or better.

I am living in Lithuania so LHD is must and yes mobile.de probably the only website to find it.

I personally don’t mind the look of T4,they got the character “old but gold” . And they hold the value.

Welcome , the forum original started out as a T5 California forum and then added the T4 section .
The T5 and now T6 is more common now a days compared the T4 as they are less arround due age.
I do think many T5 owners on here owned a T4 before ....not me doh ....i'm with the "rich people" owning a T5, as you say (or think) . Wich i was rich doh , i'd buy a T6 or even a Grand California :D

I would buy T5 California as well rather than T4,just saying is it worth paying 10k more for early year one? Hmm don’t know...

I like the look of the T4s, but personally felt more comfortable with the newer T5...

I like the look of the T4s, but personally felt more comfortable with the newer T5...

I got to admit that you are absolutely right. The seats are much more comfortable and the gear stick in a better place + the sound proof is much better,the stereo is also much much better,but still is something about the T4 California I can’t explain it what it is,maybe is that simplicity... maybe that reliability... low cost repairs and tha character... I don’t know what it is,but I fancy one more than T5

I would buy T5 California as well rather than T4,just saying is it worth paying 10k more for early year one? Hmm don’t know...
The T4 , 1990-2003, Habitation / Camping wise has the same facilities as the T5 but is now 15+ years old and well looked after examples are becoming difficult to find. Likewise parts are becoming rarer year by year. So if you are prepared to search for a suitable example and are capable of looking after the vehicle or have the money and a good mechanic then it would be a good choice.
However, don’t expect to save money in the long term and depending where you intend to travel in the future then the Emissions standard of the T4 may have an impact.

The T4 , 1990-2003, Habitation / Camping wise has the same facilities as the T5 but is now 15+ years old and well looked after examples are becoming difficult to find. Likewise parts are becoming rarer year by year. So if you are prepared to search for a suitable example and are capable of looking after the vehicle or have the money and a good mechanic then it would be a good choice.
However, don’t expect to save money in the long term and depending where you intend to travel in the future then the Emissions standard of the T4 may have an impact.

Got the point... emition is the problem,but I know few Germans and they all saying T5 is “scheise” ant T4 is “gut”... plus I have a T5 now and yes its always goes something wrong,very expensive maintenance compare to T4.

So there we have it. 5 is scheise, 4 is gut. :bananadance2The definitive in depth analysis.

Buy what you like if you don't you will never be happy with it. and welcome to the forum.