Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5.1 180 won't run at full revs stood still

burko73

burko73

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi

When my Cali is parked up and you rev the throttle it won't go past 2500 revs. When driving it will accelerate right through the rev range no probs. why is this? Does the second turbo only come in when you're moving or something?

Also, when I go over a hump back bridge at lowest speed or a hump back bridge like rise/ fall at lowing speed I get a bit of hesitation for a split second from the Cali.

Otherwise it goes great, pretty rapid acceleration.

Also - just had low oil today and needed a 1l top up. How much do others have to put in their 180's. I've not checked it for ages as I sort of got in the habit of not checking modern cars as they don't tend to use oil.

It is quite normal not to over rev when stationary mine is the same

I think the hesitation will likely be the traction control reducing power for a moment.

Traction light doesn't come on though! It would always come on in my old golf.

Those with 180s go outside and rev yours over the 2500 level, see if it will rev. If it doesn't, how would they do an mot on it as they demand full revs with a diesel?

My 180 doesn't let me rev it over 2500 when not moving - I think it must be software stopping you. No idea if this impacts the MOT.

Not noticed the lack of power over the brow of hills, but my old VW EOS used to do that and I assumed it was traction control - on the cali it is probably masked by the DSG gearbox.

Not had to put any oil in ours between services - although not really looked!!!!

T

Yep I hadn't looked. You get used to not looking these days though 24k miles is a long time.

Mine will also not rev up fully at stand still, which is not good for an engine especially when cold.
I had a real shock a month or so ago when I checked oil & it was nearly off dip stick !! I put a good litre in. No oil light came on ! I also have got used to the ecu telling me when to add oil, but obviously T5 does not tell you.

My RX8 used about 0.7Litre/1000 miles, and that was normal.

Yep, not a good thing I think to rely on the oil light coming on on the dashboard to fill up.

burko73 said:
Yep, not a good thing I think to rely on the oil light coming on on the dashboard to fill up.

I drive a truck & most modern trucks do not have a dipstick that driver has access to. Have to rely on the ecu measuring it & telling you how many litres to add, if any.