Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5.1 external lights upgrade needed

CaliGem

CaliGem

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,

I don't often drive my 2010 Cali at night but I want to upgrade the standard bulbs which are still in situ!
They're dire!

I've read other posts about changing whole units but I just want the bulbs swapping out. I'm guessing that will involve a few separate bulbs for daytime lights, main beams, fog lights! I don't know if there are better back bulbs too?

I'm not on FB so please can anyone advise of the best bulbs available?

I'm starting to upgrade a few things as she's getting on a bit

PXL_20230815_184917112.jpg

Hi all,

I don't often drive my 2010 Cali at night but I want to upgrade the standard bulbs which are still in situ!
They're dire!

I've read other posts about changing whole units but I just want the bulbs swapping out. I'm guessing that will involve a few separate bulbs for daytime lights, main beams, fog lights! I don't know if there are better back bulbs too?

I'm not on FB so please can anyone advise of the best bulbs available?

I'm starting to upgrade a few things as she's getting on a bit

View attachment 113304
You can buy upgraded bulbs for Main/Dip beam, Fog etc. Osram Nightbreakers 150 or 200% bulbs.
Buy online, Halfords or other Motorfactors.

In my opinion the upgrades buobs make very little difference, we did our bulbs but ended up changing the headlights as the new bulbs didn’t improve it enough

In my opinion the upgrades buobs make very little difference, we did our bulbs but ended up changing the headlights as the new bulbs didn’t improve it enough
Did you have H4 or H7 main beam bulbs?

That would explain the difference I'm afraid.
H4 bulbs are dual filament. The H7 headlights are very different. Also with H7 system on Main beam both dipped and main beam bulbs are on.
Everyone seems to not like the H4 headlights and swap them, frequently, for H7 lights but that needs some changes to the wiring/ coding to exactly replicate the normal H7 function, but easily done.

Back