Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5.1 van cover.

Ozzy Pete

Ozzy Pete

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Just wondering if anyone has bought a cover for their van to protect it from the elements over winter. I have a bike rack so would prefer one that fitted with the rack but not essential. Any recommendations? I’ve seen them from £65 to £150 And up .

Suggest you do not bother, they often cause a fair bit of damage. Grit gets between the fabric and the paintwork, then when the wind gets underneath the friction between the fabric and the paintwork results in scratching. These scratches can be quite deep and will not polish out. I really would keep well away from a cover. Other may have a different opinion. This topic has been covered in other threads on here.

Suggest you do not bother, they often cause a fair bit of damage. Grit gets between the fabric and the paintwork, then when the wind gets underneath the friction between the fabric and the paintwork results in scratching. These scratches can be quite deep and will not polish out. I really would keep well away from a cover. Other may have a different opinion. This topic has been covered in other threads on here.
Did these problems happen to you?

Did these problems happen to you?
It happens to a friend, when I mentioned my intention to get a cover he said "come and have a look at this before you purchase". His car roof was covered in scratches and he had only had the cover a few months. Suggest you search this topic on this forum for a wider set of opinions.

Covers need to be of a good quality, with soft lining and breathable.
Loose covers will flap in anything more than a breeze and cause rubbing on corners, scratched or worse paint damage.
Non-breathable ones will trap moisture and sweat causing corrosion.

I've used quality ones on cars & 4x4's which were a good fit and well strapped on with no problems.

It happens to a friend, when I mentioned my intention to get a cover he said "come and have a look at this before you purchase". His car roof was covered in scratches and he had only had the cover a few months. Suggest you search this topic on this forum for a wider set of opinions.
I know there are many types and qualities of covers to be had. I think I will do a bit more research before I decide.

Covers need to be of a good quality, with soft lining and breathable.
Loose covers will flap in anything more than a breeze and cause rubbing on corners, scratched or worse paint damage.
Non-breathable ones will trap moisture and sweat causing corrosion.

I've used quality ones on cars & 4x4's which were a good fit and well strapped on with no problems.
I actually bought one for my Merc SLK but got rid of the car before I had a chance to use it. That cost me a fortune and was supposed to be tailored to fit exactly. I can understand that the looser the fit and the poorer quality materials used then more problems will occur.

Back