Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Van cover?

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Does anyone cover their van in the Winter? Our garage isn't quite high enough to fit in and we're not using it all that much at the moment - living by the sea means non stop wind and driving sea spray which isn't ideal. Any recommendations? We do still use it so something easyish to fit and remove would be best.

I remember one of the people on here having one and it getting slashed - I wondered then if it was potential thieves checking it out first...

Might be nothing, but worth thinking about.

Cheers

Ian

I bought one from keredewor who never used it. Its sat in the garage ever since! In fact, I haven't even had it out of the bag. I had and have good intentions to use it but...

Just read that the cover doesn't fit Cali's because of the awning and the bike rack.
They say it is a snug fit at best with a tin top.
So fits a basic t4 or t5 she'll only.
Hope this helps.

www.sgt-training.co.uk

Yep, JustKampers one doesn't fit.

Our van is about two inches too high to fit in our garage!

On reflection, it's often so windy here that a cover may do more damage than good (I had a custom fitted one on the BM for the while - it flapped wildly then partly blew off even when strapped down)!

You should have a word Kev, they do 10% for Caravanists...

Protec covers are SUPERB.
I had mine slashed last year but Protec collected it and put a new side in it.
I had the Cali under it all winter and it was completely dry and spotless.
They are breathable and fit snugly. I have a bike rack and there's plenty of room for that.
I would thoroughly recommend them.
I'll send you a pic if you need.
Paul

I purchased a Hamilton Classic Breathable 5 Layer Fleece Lined Outdoor Cover 2 years ago but found it a hastle to put on. It lies in the loft having never been used, waste of £200

Good initiative. I was about to start such a thread on the topic.

Unlike last winter, our Cali will spleep outside this winter and I fear a bit the impact of very low temperatures over a couple of months (-10 °C in January and February in Annecy) and quite some snow thus humidity.

I was thinking about a cover but also would appreciate any recommendations regarding the freezing temperatures. I will purge the water pipes but I am not sure that soft plastic pipes might resist. This is the most dramatic effect I am afraid of.

I will use it a bit to keep the battery alive and if necessary I can plug it.

Thanks in advance for your own experience and advices.

I have the awning too. No problem at all.
Mine withstood all of the snow, ice and rain last winter could throw at it.
The van remained totally dry.
I'll take a picture tomorrow and post.
I'm in Bristol if anyone needs to look.

I looked at various van covers at the NEC show in October. The Protec was the best by far. More expensive, in the region of £400 but built to last. I've just ordered one and there is an eight-week waiting list. I was asked to send photos of the van from all sides. You can ask for the easy fit system, which as the name suggests, enables the cover to be put on more easily

Martin, I got a 10% discount because I had registered an interest at the NEC show. The actual cost was approximately £377 for the easy fit cover. Bruce

Getting in touch with ProTec today, how secure are they around the base of the vehicle? Can they be strapped down? Any pictures would be appreciated. Cheers.

Make up some small diameter weels (think space saver style) for it, purely for rolling it into the garage.
Or, some corner trolley's (small platform on castors), take the wheels off and lower each corner on blocks onto a trolley, push into garage.
Not ideal but a fairly simple soloution. Infinitely better than a van outside under a cover getting moldy. Yuk.

Pod.

Yes they have straps that run underneath the vehicle. They keep it nice and tight.

Back