Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 and RNS whilst parked up

maq1017

maq1017

Dear all,

First post and trying to spec out my ideal T5 California here :) I'm really keen on the RNS 510 as I have it in my car right now, but wondered if its worth it based on the following question.

Is it possible to use the RNS when parked up and hooked up to an external power source? I know in most VW's the unit turns off after 30 mins and I'm wondering if e battery would drain. Search suggests this was an issue on T4s.

Anyone with experience who can comment I'd appreciate as this will influence my spec!

Thanks in advance and great forum, I hope to be part of the Cali community soon
M.

I have the RNS 510 and recently spent two nights hooked up. Both nights I watched DVDs on the 510 with no problem. Although the automatic switch off every few minutes was annoying. I wouldn't be without the 510. Had one in my previous car and it was almost the first thing I added to the Cali.
Have Fun
Bob

Me too, getting one was never not going to happen.

You can save yourself quite a bit by retrofitting if that helps.

Me as well. As has been said the auto switch of is a pain when watching dvds but when my waranty runs out I will put it on a relay to power it from leisure batteries when ignition is off.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

You can bypass it by leaving the ignition on, and on hook-up the main battery will be charged as well. Downside is the DRL's will be on all the time.

Cheers

That's valuable info, thank you. I can retrofit RNS myself so could consider that an option, I was most bothered about battery drain and the dreaded switch off :)

Thank you for clarifying. DRL switch off should be easily fixed with VCDS too I hope.

Regards
Martin

Martin I'm sure I read somewhere that the drl's can't be switched off. I might be wrong though :laugh2

maq1017 said:
That's valuable info, thank you. I can retrofit RNS myself so could consider that an option, I was most bothered about battery drain and the dreaded switch off :)

Thank you for clarifying. DRL switch off should be easily fixed with VCDS too I hope.

Regards
Martin

Not simple to code out. Also be aware of type approval and your insurance as if you hit someone and they say they didn't see you (for example) and it is daytime then it would transpire pretty quickly that they have been turned off (even if possible).

cheers

smgcowfold said:
You can bypass it by leaving the ignition on, and on hook-up the main battery will be charged as well. Downside is the DRL's will be on all the time.

Cheers

What we need then is an enterprising person to design some black out curtain type things for the front lights. :)

or maybe just some towels lol

James

For most VW's it's a simple coding change to disable DRLs, do we have reason to think it's different on a T5 compared to a golf for example?

I figured from a canbus perspective the control modules would be similar. Maybe that isn't the case.

We asked when they first came out and it is not a coding issue alone.

If you do do it, then remember about insurance and type approval etc...just in case the worst happens.

cheers

Martin the T5 BCM is quite similar in function to the Polo if you're looking for VCDS tweaks/info.

Some cars have an extra position on the headlight switch for DRL's.

smgcowfold said:

Cheers
Hi Alex,
It does not work on my 13 Cali until the switch is in the second position and of course all the instruments light up as well as the DRL's
Will this do any harm to the instrument display ?
Thanks
Richard

So I've seen the T4 seems to have some kind of solution to switch the RNS over to the leisure battery any such trick possible for the T5?

Would be great to find a permanent solution that doesn't involver leaving the lights on, as the RNS is such a good entertainment system.

Thanks
M

Not difficult to make a battery switchover with a relay. Will do mine when warranty runs out next year.

Suggest you talk to a good autoelectrician.

Andy said:
Not difficult to make a battery switchover with a relay. Will do mine when warranty runs out next year.

Suggest you talk to a good autoelectrician.

Had this done to my pioneer system last year was done while I waited cost was about £100. Well worth doing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Back