Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 California side awning

C

chrisswash

VIP Member
Doe's anyone know where I can buy an original T5 California side awning.

I have a 2005 T5 california comfortline LHD .

Any help would be very appreciated.

I was hoping to get a new VW awning. Any idea's on where I would get one.

Steve at smg parts will be able to help you 01403 581242

thanks for your help. i will getting my new awning in a couple of weeks. :thumb

Yeah I'm pretty sure that they are omnistor

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

OK, help please dear Forum. So we have a new 2013 Cali which has the roof rails and a gutter thing but no awning. We would like to get an awning so my question is should we try to get a VW one fitted or would another make do or are they really all the same? The brands I have seen seem to be Fiamma or Onmistor. Can anyone advise which is considered the best? Can you take them on and off? We spoke to someone about the Thule Omnistor, not sure if that is the same thing. Very confused now.....

Hi there. The omnistor is the awning fitted by vw. Omnistor is owned by Thule so some are labeled differently. The other alternative is the fiamma f45 the main difference is the fiamma is more square and boxy in appearance than the omnistor/Thule. The omnistor looks the best in my opinion. It can be removed by two people in about 15 minutes

Hi Guys ---on a very similar theme.

I have a RHD Cali with Omnistar fitted on the drivers side where the sliding door is positioned.
My Cali has a mounting track both side of the van. Not sure if they all do ?

Having the awning on the drivers side seems to stop the ability to have a drive away awning as it blocks off the awning channel.
I was considering a Vango airbeam but does this mean I have to remove the Omnistar awning which is so useful for short stops.

Is these anyone out there with an Omnistar awning who has found a way to fit a drive away awning as well to have the best of both worlds for short stops and longer camping. ?
Anyone out these doing this with a Omnistart combined with a Vango airbeam ?

I have considered shifting the Omnistar to the other side and whilst there is an awning track to the other side there are no drillings for bolting down the Omnistar and I dont wish to start drilling holes in my van and it seems daft to consider fitting the Vango airbeam on the passenger side as on longer stop overs it could not be accessed through the van sliding door opening.

If there is someone out there who has found a way of keeping the location of the Omnistar awning AND fitting a Vango airbeam to the same side, please let us know what you have done.

Thanks

Hi,

It really is no problem to have both, the omnistore/thule awning has a built in channel along the leading edge, and so it is possible to fit any driveaway style awning to this.

We tend to have the awning out about 8 inchs as this stops the awning from snagging on the sliding door.

I have the Vango AirAway Sapera which we love for it's ease of use, and massive space!!

If you have any more questions, just shout!!

redredzimmer said:
Hi,

It really is no problem to have both, the omnistore/thule awning has a built in channel along the leading edge, and so it is possible to fit any driveaway style awning to this.

We tend to have the awning out about 8 inchs as this stops the awning from snagging on the sliding door.

I have the Vango AirAway Sapera which we love for it's ease of use, and massive space!!

If you have any more questions, just shout!!
it also provides an ideal way to tension the awning without mm precision on van parking

Thanks both for your replies.

That has answered my question nicely. I will start looking for the best deal on a Vango Airbeam.I think the Kela would suit our needs better.

Great to have support like this.

( Not sure why I didn't get a notification of replies though as I had ticked the box )

I have the Vango Kela Awning but not been away in our new California yet how does it attached to the Van? we also havethe Black wind out arwning too and not sure how the Vangoo will attach

If you wind out the awning a little and lift up the front flap you will see a channel you slide your length of kador strip into the channel you then attach figure of 8 onto the kador strip in turn your vango will have awning bead around the edge slide this into the other side of the figure of 8 and you are done. To drive away just slide out the figure of 8
The correct kit is available in the club shop
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/drive-away-awning-kador-kit-for-the-vw-california

Just a thought: I looked at the Vango Kela and then read reports about the window not straightening out and therefore remained very scrunched ie not exactly window quality. I then looked for this on sites and concluded it did indeed appear to be a problem with them.
I decided against an awning for other reasons, but would probably not have bought this one.

Back