Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 - head unit upgrade to Kenwood 8021

Abracadabra

Abracadabra

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The T5.1 is approaching 10 years, and although the head unit was working perfectly it wasn't delivering everything I wanted. RNS510.
In touch with Absolut5 in Amesbury, they recommended the Kenwood DMX 8021 DABS. I did not want a 'floating screen' but a discreet quietly unobtrusive head unit.A very good recomendation and I am delighted with the unit and its performance.
However, journey to success was a fraught and frustrating experience. My first choice would have been for Jason and Noel at Absolut5 to take charge and install. They are five hours from Cumbria, and I failed to find a local installer who inspired confidence. A comprehensive discussion with Noel indicated that I could probably complete the installation myself. And I did....eventually.
The following are some notes on this experience.
The new unit offers Android Auto/Apple Car Play with associated phone mirroring; Google Maps and Waze for example. Also a much simpler and easy to use telephone, navigation hands free system. The sound seems better to my ears (Spotify). And the Kenwood 520 dash cam is a step change from my previous one with extra safety features. All touch sensitive and so responsive.
There are some quite big differences between the systems. You lose some of the steering wheel controls including the navigation and junction countdown. On balance the new microphone and access to hands free telephone and nav is so much easier. Rear camera as always, dash cam can be accessed for recording and observations if required on screen. (The dash cam is quite sophisticated)
Before ordering Noel checked that I had the right sort of equipment kit, espeically a full set of trim tools, auto wrapping felt tape, a decent tool kit and a multi meter. He was incredibly helpful with advice, many thanks due. To connect the rear camera you need to raise the carpet and lift the driver's seat. All possible on my own with a little preparation. The trim tools are essential to remove the dash board and other trims. And, the T 20 bit on a flexible connector to a mini electric screwdriver was a Godsend. Lights and torches essential for the dark corners.
I got really stuck in a couple of places. The unit didn't fire up. Noel had me interogate the 'fuse 19' and 'key and ignition' situation. Multi meter was reading all fine. The problem was me. Apparently after market units don't switch on like a manufacturer's without a key and one turn on the ignition. I hadn't appreciated that. Then i couldn't get the microphone to work. Absolut took back the units, harness and micorphone checking all was good. Re installating was puzzling because the microphone still didn't work....until Noel got on the phone to to me sorted it. The harness wiring has either unique connectors or the wires are colour coded with labels.
It seems the old RNS unit has value and there is already interest in it.
I like that you wouldn't give the unit a second look. The microphone can go almost anywhere, so under the rear view mirror is great for both passenger and driver. GPS and phone pairing almost instant.
The notes above have been written with other people in mind who are considering an upgrade. Youtube was a good resource but didn't reveal all I needed to know.
I believe the support offered by Absolut5 was certainly the extra mile, and warmly recommend them.

Back