Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Absolut5 full audio installation

IanE

IanE

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all - I've just been on the phone to Noel of Absolut5. I got in touch with them because I know they are very well regarded by members of this forum. We've had our Cali from new and it's now in its ninth year with us. During that time I've spent a fair amount of cash trying to get what I consider to be good quality audio. I've had some success, but sadly for me and my wallet I'm not happy. Here's what I've got;

Under driver seat sub - Alpine PWE-V80 (8 inch powered)

Doors - Alpine SPG-17CS component

Rear - Alpine SPG-17C2 coaxial 2 way

Under driver seat power amp - Alpine MRV-F300

Head unit - second hand RNS 315

Under driver seat Audison bit Ten dsp

Driver and passenger doors dynamatted.

I got the RNS 315 Because I wanted to keep the VW look and integration - also I dislike the brash "disco" appearance of the modern head units I've seen. I was advised that the Audison dsp could correct for the speaker level only output from the 315.

Noel advises that I scrap the lot!! (With the exception of the rear speakers) and replace with a JL/Herz speaker/amplifier set up, including a 10 inch sub, along with a Kenwood DNX8180DAB or DNX9180DAB head unit. I guess I'd have to get used to the brashness! He assures me that either would integrate with steering wheel controls etc.

On his advice, I'm writing here to ask if anyone has had this system or something similar fitted by Absolut5?

We intend keeping our van for another ten years so I guess I might start saving up!

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

Dynamatting the doors and rear speaker surrounds is a DIY job, and made IMHO a good improvement to the sound quality and reduced road noise in our Cali. Might be worth trying before the bigger costs.

Hi Ian,

Dynamatting the doors and rear speaker surrounds is a DIY job, and made IMHO a good improvement to the sound quality and reduced road noise in our Cali. Might be worth trying before the bigger costs.

Hi and thanks for replying - as I mention in my message, the doors have been dynamatted - and it certainly improved things as you describe. Definitely worth doing but sadly it hasn't solved my problem, hence my looking for a bit more advice from any forum members who've had the work done as I describe above.

Cheers

Ian

I haven’t had the work done by Absolut5 yet, but would recommend them and have done many times.

I have a newer Kenwood unit and it integrates perfectly, you wont go back to a VW unit after for sure.

The system they are recommending they have installed in lots of T5’s, I imagine at least 50 by now, maybe ask them for a demo? But from feedback I’ve read you won’t be disappointed.

Thanks reserves - I'll give your suggestion some thought - unfortunately we live over 4 hours drive away though - hence my hoping to get some feedback on this forum from people who have had Absolut5 do work on their Cali before I take it further. I guess they may have had customers from up north - one way to find out!

Hi Ian

are you a member of the T6 forum? if ask on there

regards
jason

Booked in with Absolut5 on 1st April - confident that I’m not being fooled :) . The T6 forum has loads of positive feedback on Absolut5, but I drew a blank on any word from Cali owners - hey ho

I’m agonising now over which head unit. Absolut5 recommend the Kenwood DMX 7017dab, but I don’t like the graphical interface, to my eyes, it’s garish. They also could install the Pioneer SPH-DA230dab, which I prefer the look of. Jason at Absolut5 is clear that the Kenwood is the better unit in terms of speed of the processor and of switching between apps. I’ve had a go with both in Halfords and I’m ok with the speed of either :) I’m thinking I’ll go with the Panasonic, though the hard buttons are not to my liking - they’re tiny and manky looking.

I just wondered if there were any other thoughts on nice head units with CarPlay that integrate well with a 2010 Cali with steering wheel controls? I’d really like a modern clean and not flashy appearance - this is important to me. Please note I don’t require sat nav as I prefer google maps through CarPlay.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!

Booked in with Absolut5 on 1st April - confident that I’m not being fooled :) . The T6 forum has loads of positive feedback on Absolut5, but I drew a blank on any word from Cali owners - hey ho

I’m agonising now over which head unit. Absolut5 recommend the Kenwood DMX 7017dab, but I don’t like the graphical interface, to my eyes, it’s garish. They also could install the Pioneer SPH-DA230dab, which I prefer the look of. Jason at Absolut5 is clear that the Kenwood is the better unit in terms of speed of the processor and of switching between apps. I’ve had a go with both in Halfords and I’m ok with the speed of either :) I’m thinking I’ll go with the Panasonic, though the hard buttons are not to my liking - they’re tiny and manky looking.

I just wondered if there were any other thoughts on nice head units with CarPlay that integrate well with a 2010 Cali with steering wheel controls? I’d really like a modern clean and not flashy appearance - this is important to me. Please note I don’t require sat nav as I prefer google maps through CarPlay.

While you are at it, it’s worth asking them about a changeover switch to flip between engine and leisure batteries.

Hey Ian,

I've spoken to Jason a bunch of times, you're not being fooled and look forward to hearing your thoughts once installed :)

It's funny because Jason used to swear blind by the Pioneer units and hated Kenwood, this was before Kenwood updated all their units.

I have the Kenwood, an earlier version (but not the awful 525 unit, the 516DABS) https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ken...pple-carplay-android-bluetooth-dab-tuner.html

This unit fits the Cali exactly which is why I went for it, with the other units you'll need an aftermarket fitting plate, this bothered me but I have a fitting plate in my Golf which I have the Pioneer
AVIC-F980DAB and to be honest I don't notice the fitting plate anymore.

So, I'm probably in a good position to offer my thoughts, especially as I only use CarPlay and sometimes DAB but never in built Sat Nav

I like the buttons on the Kenwood, you can go directly to DAB or CarPlay and the volume control is a rotary knob which I like. The Kenwood as mentioned fits nicer than the aftermarket models.

However the UI of the Kenwood is not to my tastes at all, it's very flashy and not well thought out, after a while you get used to it but it's still bad, if you play a video from USB for example you can't even scroll through it, you have to watch an entire movie, no chapter selection, how did that get through testing? It's like they rushed the GUI out and didn't care about it, it's certainly designed for a non UK market.

I don't watch video's from the USB, but I'm trying to make the point how bad the UI is.

The Pioneer has less dedicated buttons, sounds better and the UI is way more classy. It's also more reliable than the Kenwood unit which CarPlay occasionally drops out. Also once every few months it switches off for no reason and reboots. On the Pioneer I miss the dedicated buttons, the volume is a button which I don't prefer.

Both units work the same with Steering Wheel controls, though I believe the Pioneer a little better thought out, when using DAB the MFSW will skip to the next preset station whereas the Kenwood will try to Tune in a station, Kenwood clearly don't care about the details.

So, which do I prefer? I've had them both over a year, I'm just used to them both.

The two you posted I'd opt for the Pioneer, although I've not looked in great detail, maybe Kenwood have upped their UI game?

I don't notice either unit being faster than the other.

Happy to chat this through if you want to send me a PM

Best of luck, sure you'll be happy either way.

Hi reserves - thanks a lot for the above. I really like the look of your Kenwood in terms of matching the van, also the lovely hard buttons! Such a shame about the GUI! The Kenwood unit that Jason recommends looks to have the same GUI. It’s reassuring to know that I’m not alone in not being keen. Also I’d be paying a fair chunk for features I don’t need - sat nav and dvd/cd.

Jason did say that they used to have Pioneer as their favoured head unit.

Your considered assessment is much appreciated - looks like I’m going for the Pioneer.

I do find the choice of head units frustrating though - why can’t they design one like my iPad? If only Apple did one - now that would be something! (Yes I’m an Apple addict:))

Just throw in that i have the Pioneer fitted and am very pleased with how it works and sounds.....however its an absolute pain to use in sunny weather, not a big problem in Wales i know. Drove to Spain last year and could not see the screen for long periods during the day. You have controls for brightness etc, and even a left and right hand drive option but still an issue. I have a T5. SE also.
20190218_235044.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Alform - looks like a tidy installation! You don’t find the hard buttons fiddly to use accurately when on the move? Its just that they seem quite tiny.

On the screen in sunshine issue, Jason at Absolut5 says that’s a problem with all (after market?) head units. They sell a Kenwood unit that overcomes the problem by having a mechanically tilting screen.

The buttons are quite small, but apart from the volume buttons ( dont have steering wheel controls) most other things are done through the touch screen. Saying that when i do use them i "know " where they are after using the unit daily for a few months if you know what i mean. My two phones (android & Iphone)are connected at all times via Bluetooth and depending on circumstances one of them will be plugged in via usb in the glove box for carplay and android auto.
I ended up cutting out a piece of black card to avoid the glare in Spain....not found a need in the uk, much shorter trips and roads are not as straight .

Last edited:
Do you know if the park pilot and reverse camera show up on these units?
I dont know the answer for park pilot, I am having an aftermarket reversing camera fitted which will plug into the camera input on the Pioneer .

Last edited:
The buttons are quite small, but apart from the volume buttons ( dont have steering wheel controls) most other things are done through the touch screen. Saying that when i do use them i "know " where they are after using the unit daily for a few months if you know what i mean. My two phones (android & Iphone)are connected at all times via Bluetooth and depending on circumstances one of them will be plugged in via usb in the glove box.
I ended up cutting out a piece of black card to avoid the glare in Spain....not found a need in the uk on much shorter and roads are not as straight .

Thanks Alform that's reassuring

I dont know the answer for park pilot, I am having an aftermarket reversing camera fitted which will plug into the camera input on the Pioneer .

Just to note, both my Kenwood and Pioneer do this.

However as with most things the Pioneer does it more gracefully.

On the Kenwood you have to press "I agree" when the unit boots up, so you start your vehicle put it in reverse and start reversing, all this time the display of your parking sensors sits below the "I agree" screen.

The Pioneer is intelligent enough to show the parking sensor info without making you do anything first.

Also as far as I remember when in CarPlay mode, the Kenwood doesn't display the parking sensor info when you go into reverse. The pioneer does.

This info is for older models, but I've updated the Firmware on the Kenwood and it they haven't fixed this.

Just throw in that i have the Pioneer fitted and am very pleased with how it works and sounds.....however its an absolute pain to use in sunny weather, not a big problem in Wales i know. Drove to Spain last year and could not see the screen for long periods during the day. You have controls for brightness etc, and even a left and right hand drive option but still an issue. I have a T5. SE also.
View attachment 41560
May I ask who fitted yours please Alform?
I’m looking at upgrading and unsure as to who to go to locally.
Cheers.

Had it fitted at Halfords Llansamlet. They had to order in a fitting kit including the surround etc. I did not go for the cambus adaptor at the time and wish i did now. That would allow the radio to be used on the accessory key mode.
Not for music, for watching movies when stationary.
I think it was around £70 for fitting including kit.

If you want to take a look PM me btw.

It’s not a difficult job if you have any DIY skills / time.

Had it fitted at Halfords Llansamlet. They had to order in a fitting kit including the surround etc. I did not go for the cambus adaptor at the time and wish i did now. That would allow the radio to be used on the accessory key mode.
Not for music, for watching movies when stationary.
I think it was around £70 for fitting including kit.

If you want to take a look PM me btw.
Thank you. I might take you up on that. The price to upgrade to VW units is bonkers. Be in touch during the week.

Hey Ian,

Guessing it was your Cali Absolut5 just posted about on Facebook?

How did it go, are you pleased with the results?

I now have great sound! I think the photos on Facebook illustrate very well the difference in quality of installation between Absolut5 and the two previous incarnations. Night and day really. I'm also very pleased with the headunit (Panasonic SPH-DA230dab) though I do have a problem with skipping tracks using the steering wheel controls. Absolut5 have advised me on that so I'm hoping that that problem can be solved.

View attachment 41560
Hi There

I know you have already been asked a lot of questions, but hope you can manage one more. I have T5.1 SE and just wanted to make sure that I will have full control via the steering wheel buttons and also that I will be able to see the forward and rear parking sensors. John

Hi There

I know you have already been asked a lot of questions, but hope you can manage one more. I have T5.1 SE and just wanted to make sure that I will have full control via the steering wheel buttons and also that I will be able to see the forward and rear parking sensors. John
Hi John - with my set up as detailed above I have full control via the steering wheel buttons, but I can't see the parking sensors - they still beep though!

Back