Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alpine head unit draining the battery?

johnyboy

johnyboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Got this note from my chum with a Cali; looking for advice from the "hive mind" :D

Battery went flat on the camper again. It appears (from the garage) that my Alpine head unit is drawing more current than is reasonable and will flatten within 3 - 4 days of no use.
I hope to get some more technical data about what is happening but goes along the lines of the head unit shakes hands with a CPU and doesn't let go even when switched off, creating the draw.

Could I ask you to consult the T5 hive mind to see if this is common and to see what head units are out there that may not cause this issue? I am assuming there will be approved units that I don't have to buy from VW.

Any thoughts as to whether this is a rogue unit or would similar problems occur with the Kenwood for example?

Which Kenwood exactly?

A Kenwood made specifically for a VW - no problems

A generic Kenwood made for any vehicle - possible problems, but these can be overcome.

reserves said:
Which Kenwood exactly?

A Kenwood made specifically for a VW - no problems

A generic Kenwood made for any vehicle - possible problems, but these can be overcome.
As per thread title op is referring to an alpine head unit.

It is probably being kept powered up by the canbus.

johnyboy said:
Any thoughts as to whether this is a rogue unit or would similar problems occur with the Kenwood for example?

Was responding to the above :)

I meant "The" Kenwood approved - DNX525DAB

Is there a way to avoid the situation with the current stereo?

johnyboy said:
Got this note from my chum with a Cali; looking for advice from the "hive mind" :D

Battery went flat on the camper again. It appears (from the garage) that my Alpine head unit is drawing more current than is reasonable and will flatten within 3 - 4 days of no use.
I hope to get some more technical data about what is happening but goes along the lines of the head unit shakes hands with a CPU and doesn't let go even when switched off, creating the draw.

Could I ask you to consult the T5 hive mind to see if this is common and to see what head units are out there that may not cause this issue? I am assuming there will be approved units that I don't have to buy from VW.

IS it wired correctly? In particular is switched power linked to ignition? Maybe worth a check?

Read the thread titled 'radio does not switched of with ignition' in the mechanic and technical section/audio and navigation. Sounds like your friend is having the same trouble.

Back