Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 Ocean auxiliary heater not running

W

WolfDad

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi there - we've a 2006 T5 ocean, and tried to run the auxiliary cabin heater for the first time in 18mo+ last weekend, and it just doesn't start. There are a couple of good threads on the forums already, so I've run down some fault finding already:
  • control panel shows it as working, with the light on and not flashing
  • plenty of diesel
  • batteries seem fine, and the same happens with engine running or on/off hookup
  • no error codes from the hidden menu in the control panel
  • no error codes on OBDII through Torque Lite Pro app
  • I've checked all the fuses in the cabin and under the passenger seat (continuity with multimeter)
I thought I saw somewhere that there was a procedure for resetting a trip-out by pulling fuses, but I can't find that thread (insomniac scrolling is not the best way to fix these things!). Can anyone confirm if there is a reset procedure and point me to it please?

We haven't had a lot of use from the heater the last few years as we've been fair-weather campers with 2 young kids, but this year is looking like some soggy mountain-bike trips might be on the cards so I'd like to get it working... Any other suggestions please?

I'm really hoping this isn't going to be an expensive VW visit - we're in WF17 if anyone knows of a good place to take it to.

Thanks!
Dave

Other threads I've been checking:

Hi there - we've a 2006 T5 ocean, and tried to run the auxiliary cabin heater for the first time in 18mo+ last weekend, and it just doesn't start. There are a couple of good threads on the forums already, so I've run down some fault finding already:
  • control panel shows it as working, with the light on and not flashing
  • plenty of diesel
  • batteries seem fine, and the same happens with engine running or on/off hookup
  • no error codes from the hidden menu in the control panel
  • no error codes on OBDII through Torque Lite Pro app
  • I've checked all the fuses in the cabin and under the passenger seat (continuity with multimeter)
I thought I saw somewhere that there was a procedure for resetting a trip-out by pulling fuses, but I can't find that thread (insomniac scrolling is not the best way to fix these things!). Can anyone confirm if there is a reset procedure and point me to it please?

We haven't had a lot of use from the heater the last few years as we've been fair-weather campers with 2 young kids, but this year is looking like some soggy mountain-bike trips might be on the cards so I'd like to get it working... Any other suggestions please?

I'm really hoping this isn't going to be an expensive VW visit - we're in WF17 if anyone knows of a good place to take it to.

Thanks!
Dave

Other threads I've been checking:
Eberspacher recommend running the heater for an hour monthly.
VW is not the best place to go. They will just suggest supplying a new one.

Eberspacher Service agents would be the best place.

Earth shunt?

Does the fuel pump run (ticking noise)? Can you hear the fan running if you put your ear to the duct?
If the above are ok then it’s almost deffo the glow plug. Simple 5 min change.

Eberspacher recommend running the heater for an hour monthly.
VW is not the best place to go. They will just suggest supplying a new one.

Eberspacher Service agents would be the best place.

Thanks. From the door pillar stickers it looks like we have the Westbo Air top rather than the Eberspacher. Good news is that there's a service centre for that close by: https://www.melloronline.co.uk/

Earth shunt?
Might be, but we don't have other symptoms (flashiness) and it doesn't work not hook up either. The fridge box is damaged at the gas strut though so it might be a combined job over winter...

Does the fuel pump run (ticking noise)? Can you hear the fan running if you put your ear to the duct?
If the above are ok then it’s almost deffo the glow plug. Simple 5 min change.
Nope, we used to get those but nothing at all now, so it seems electrical (your earth shunt comment is good) or a trip-out...

It looks like there's a lot of stuff out there on the westabo, but I've not found a rest process for it yet. Or removal instructions...

I sense a bit of time lying on a cold driveway and shreading knuckles in my future

If your good with the spanners take it off the van and then take it for a service or buy the kit and do it yourself. The kit will more than likely include all the gaskets,o rings, burner matting and glow plug. The burner matting is directional.

Thanks. From the door pillar stickers it looks like we have the Westbo Air top rather than the Eberspacher. Good news is that there's a service centre for that close by: https://www.melloronline.co.uk/
Any use?

This thread contains a couple of Vids that will give you a good understanding of how the heater works and how easy it is to disassemble &service etc.

If none of pump/fan etc are working it suggests to me it’s not the heater unit, more likely the interface with the van ie, control box/power supply/earth.

……that said, the software may look at the glow plug resistance before it allows start up. If it see open circuit (dead glow plug) then it may just not allow any start sequence.
I’d try a new plug first.

My engine coolant heater was dead and I had no pump/fan initiation at all. Fitting a new plug and away it went.

If your good with the spanners take it off the van and then take it for a service or buy the kit and do it yourself. The kit will more than likely include all the gaskets,o rings, burner matting and glow plug. The burner matting is directional.
it's tempting and there are some good videos online for it (link below so I can find it!) - the thing that puts me off is the sloppy driveway and lack of ramps... I'll let you know if I go for it!

……that said, the software may look at the glow plug resistance before it allows start up. If it see open circuit (dead glow plug) then it may just not allow any start sequence.
I’d try a new plug first.

My engine coolant heater was dead and I had no pump/fan initiation at all. Fitting a new plug and away it went.
There's nothing like fault finding on an old vehicle is there? :D

Any use?

That's the one... the question now is which darn fuse is it? I'm guessing the most difficult to reach 25A under the seat, but very happy to be given another suggestion as any other fuse would be easier to reach :D

Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-11 at 2.33.06 PM.jpeg

No luck with the reset on this fuse...
As it’s not been used for a while it might need a full service if there is a fault before the Reset works.

it's tempting and there are some good videos online for it (link below so I can find it!) - the thing that puts me off is the sloppy driveway and lack of ramps... I'll let you know if I go for it!

Have you got any camper levelling ramps? Put them both on the drivers side to lift the van for easier access

Thank all for the suggestions an input on this.

I think I've tried all the options short of pulling it out for service now (and/or doing the earth shunt @sidepod ). That's going to take a break in the weather and some prep work on my part (having had a look I think some of the fixings on the undertray are going to need replacing) so it'll be a while before I get back to you on the outcome, but if I can I'll do my best to come back and close the thread with a solution when I have one!

Cheers,
Dave

Thank all for the suggestions an input on this.

I think I've tried all the options short of pulling it out for service now (and/or doing the earth shunt @sidepod ). That's going to take a break in the weather and some prep work on my part (having had a look I think some of the fixings on the undertray are going to need replacing) so it'll be a while before I get back to you on the outcome, but if I can I'll do my best to come back and close the thread with a solution when I have one!

Cheers,
Dave
Once the undertray is off best way to get the heater out is to disconnect the fuel line, cut xip ties securing the big air hoses that go into the step and door pillar and then remove the heater and its mounting cradle as one unit then disassemble to service on bench. I tried removing the heater but leaving the cradle on the van it dont work not enough wiggle room. Cant recommend the benefit of investing in vcds enough to enable diy repairs.

Once the undertray is off best way to get the heater out is to disconnect the fuel line, cut xip ties securing the big air hoses that go into the step and door pillar and then remove the heater and its mounting cradle as one unit then disassemble to service on bench. I tried removing the heater but leaving the cradle on the van it dont work not enough wiggle room. Cant recommend the benefit of investing in vcds enough to enable diy repairs.
Thanks.
It's the undertray that worries me most tbh - the fixings look pretty corroded.

I have ODBII but vcds would make a lot of sense - do you have a recommendation?

Ross tech list of offical distributors of vcds https://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.php
bought mine from ilexa, seemed to have the most professional / clear website with a licence package & support.
So I'll take a look at this, but for now the friendly local garage plugged theirs in and reset an over-temperature error, after which it ran happily for an hour! I'll give it another go in a couple of days, but I'm hopeful that this'll be it.

If it does go bad again, I had some really useful conversations with melloronline who are just down the road from me, who would be able to service the heater (or supply parts) once it's off the van.

Thanks once again for the help on this one - always good, friendly advice on the forums :)

PXL_20231117_101022865.jpg

Back