Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Auxiliary Heater Fan wont stop running

Jubilado Tim

Jubilado Tim

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have a 2014 California SE,. I have a problem with the Auxiliary Heater fan continuing to run even when heater is switched off and van locked. I understand that there is a fan which expels the fumes when the heater is running and I wonder whether it is this fan since it runs when the heater is switched off.
Does anyone out there have any experience and /or remedy for this problem.
Also where is the fuse for the parking heater fan?

Have you tried resetting the control panel?

I have a 2014 California SE,. I have a problem with the Auxiliary Heater fan continuing to run even when heater is switched off and van locked. I understand that there is a fan which expels the fumes when the heater is running and I wonder whether it is this fan since it runs when the heater is switched off.
Does anyone out there have any experience and /or remedy for this problem.
Also where is the fuse for the parking heater fan?
It should be a 20amp fuse in the fuse box , centre of the Dashboard by the gear lever.
Position can vary.

For those of you who don't know, if you ever get any problems with roof stuck or any other error say with the heater or fridge, you are able to access the hidden menu in your control panel as used by the VW Engineers.

Access as follows:

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)

2. You will get the hidden menu.

3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.

4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"

5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear

6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors

7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!

8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

Any problems should be resolved assuming these are Electronic and not Mechanical.

Error Codes from Control Panel.

1 = 1 = Pop-up roof

2 = 2 = Plumbing Heating

3 = 3 = Cool box Cooler

4 = 4 = Sewage wastewater

5 = 5 = Fresh water

6 = 6 = Outside temperature

7 = 7 = Battery

Error Code Defect Fault

1010 1010 Short-circuit to (earth) roof

1001 1001 Fuse / short circuit to (plus+) roof

1100 1100 Short-circuit output Roof "on"

1101 1101 Fuse roof "to"

1110 1110 Short-circuit output Roof "to"

1111 1111 Fuse starting Roof "to"

2100 2100 Short-circuit output heating on / off

2101 2101 Fuse output heating on / off

2001 2001 Interrupt input heating 30

3100 3100 Short-circuit output coolbox

3101 3101 Fuse interrupt output coolbox

3001 3001-J698-cooler input error "Active"

3010 3010 Short-circuit input icebox "actual temperature"

3011 3011 Interrupt or fuse input icebox "actual temperature"

4000 4000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

4001 4001 Fuse circuit to plus water level sensor failure

5000 5000 Short-circuit to ground water level sensor

5001 5001 Short circuit to plus water level sensor failure

6000 6000 Short-circuit to ground temperature sensor or for outdoor temperature

6001 6001 Fuse / short circuit to plus two temperature sensors for outside temperature

7001 7001 interrupt input interrupt input D +

Did you get a resolution to this? On our 2012 SE the fan started going constantly. We had no error codes at all and pulled every fuse but nothing stopped it. Finally got it into our local garage who have pulled the plug on the heater underneath the van, but they aren't up for trying to fix it.

Hi Debs, yes I did get this fixed but blooming expensive! It was the Ecu on the Eberspacher parking heater, part alone was £430 but fixed now. Technician originally thought it might be the thermostat on the unit as this is not uncommon and a lot cheaper to fix.
Good luck with yours.

Hi Debs, yes I did get this fixed but blooming expensive! It was the Ecu on the Eberspacher parking heater, part alone was £430 but fixed now. Technician originally thought it might be the thermostat on the unit as this is not uncommon and a lot cheaper to fix.
Good luck with yours.
Thanks for replying. Out of interest, which garage did you take it to?

By the way, the fuse for the parking heater fan is a green one in the fuse box under the front ash tray - taking that out did stop the fan running.

It didn’t with ours, which was really odd. Again, thanks for replying, we’re based in the Lakes so Shropshire’s a bit of a drive. Glad you’re all sorted.