Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 or T6?

Salmonjo

Salmonjo

Hi everyone. We are on the brink of buying our first Cali after years of talking about it. Do we part with our very hard earned cash on a new T5 at a good price or do we wait (for who knows how long) for aT6? What do you think?

Depends where you are. If UK may have to wait until 2017 for delivery. Maybe earlier if you are based on the Continent.
Also unlikely to be any Discount on T6 California for many months, until rush of orders abate.

Have a think about how the original T5 and the facelift (T5.1) feel to you. That happened in 2010, and I reckon there is a £2k or £3k premium over the last of the old and the first of the new (other will have different figures).

That change had an engine upgrade, a few exterior and interior tweaks. It perhaps didn't seem major at the time but now appears quite significant. Vans dated well away from the change don't change too much it's just those at the margin that will be hit / benefit more.

If you are in a hurry, buy a T5 but don't get carried away with the hype that prices have gone crazy because of T6 delays. They have amongst some of the sellers who follow the forum (and a couple of dealers who realise there is a bit of a shortage) but there are still sensibly priced examples popping up which you can identify once you know the market. They'll be cheaper again in a months time as the school holidays near their end.

You could always buy at earlier T5 (so long as you understand the roof rot and warranty issues), enjoy that for a few years, then go for a T6.

Hi everyone. We are on the brink of buying our first Cali after years of talking about it. Do we part with our very hard earned cash on a new T5 at a good price or do we wait (for who knows how long) for aT6? What do you think?
It depends whether you're happy to wait.

I couldn't!

do it.

There is nothing in the T6 that is superior to the T5 except the price.

From my experience the T5 delivers, we all await with bated breath, for the next two years, to see if the T6 does.

and ...

this is a challenge, especially to North wales man ...

If you have a 180 DSG T5 four motion in stock ,talk to me as I will happily buy a new vehicle with three years peace of mind at a decent price than wait until the T6 is being offered at anything like a sensible price.

Cash, no quibble, an October 2013 T5, high spec, 20,000 miles in part ex.

As the above ...

A health warning to everyone who reads it ...

I am unusual.

I am totally uninterested in 0-60, euro 6 or euro 5, pretty lights or ugly lights, big wheels or skinny wheels,

I want something that I can go away in, is superb to drive, comfortable to sleep in, is rugged enough to bounce of rough roads. park anywhere and works. Don't bother me about the tech bits, the pretty bits, the sparkly bits or the "strut my stuff" bits, tell me it works, and can do what I want it to do, and the Cali does it magnificently.

Yep Granny.....I recall in winter 11/12 being high up in Sicily....Snow n Ice and one way into a village and one way out.....sliding down a village hill with houses 6 inches on either side of the wing mirrors.....made it and found a street to sleep in.....safe.......