Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach or Ocean (SE)

Just go for a Coast .....oh and do order a petrol version or you might end up with nothing......:upsidedown

It’s a tough decision. It’s very much each to their own. Always best to hire beforehand and get a feel for what you do and don’t need.
As Digger said above, we are a biased bunch and will fight to the death over our chosen model.

However all said and done. This has been discussed elsewhere before and the verdict was, the Beach is definitely perhaps the right one;)

Its not just about the kitchen unit is it. The breach is based on the transporter with poorer headlights and suspension as a result. The ocean is based on the caravell which is according to VW as better lights and suspension. Mind you I am having all the suspension upgraded on my ocean, so how bad or not the breach is I don't know. I also think that the windows behind the B post are different between the models.F

Its not just about the kitchen unit is it. The breach is based on the transporter with poorer headlights and suspension as a result. The ocean is based on the caravell which is according to VW as better lights and suspension. Mind you I am having all the suspension upgraded on my ocean, so how bad or not the breach is I don't know. I also think that the windows behind the B post are different between the models.F

Strictly speaking I think the Beach is based on the Multivan not the Transporter (although that may indeed still involve differences from the Caravelle/Ocean in the lights and suspension departments).

[EDIT] Just re-checked and some say both Beach and SE/Ocean are based on Multivan. But who knows (outside VW's hallowed halls)?

Last edited:
[EDIT] Just re-checked and some say both Beach and SE/Ocean are based on Multivan. But who knows
(outside VW's hallowed halls)?

Yes, that's correct.

The factory in Hannover operate two parallel assembly lines for the T6.

The "basic" assembly line produces commercial transporters.
The "comfort" assembly line produces the high end passenger vehicles. i.e Multivan and California

Yes, that's correct.

The factory in Hannover operate two parallel assembly lines for the T6.

The "basic" assembly line produces commercial transporters.
The "comfort" assembly line produces the high end passenger vehicles. i.e Multivan and California

Thanks Leffe! Sounds like you have the inside track. So is the suspension the same on the Beach and the Ocean?

Thanks Leffe! Sounds like you have the inside track. So is the suspension the same on the Beach and the Ocean?

I was lead to believe suspension is exactly the same, other than the springs. Which have a higher load rating. Which makes sense as the Ocean is based on a T32 and Beach T30.

It will also help carry the extra weight of the Oceans diamond plated chassis and gold covered insulation :rolleyes:

I was lead to believe suspension is exactly the same, other than the springs. Which have a higher load rating. Which makes sense as the Ocean is based on a T32 and Beach T30.
Agree on the first part, but pretty sure they are both based on the T30?

Agree on the first part, but pretty sure they are both based on the T30?

Possibly.
The Ocean gets the bigger brakes too.
But you would expect this as, it’s a heavier vehicle to slow down.

Possibly.
The Ocean gets the bigger brakes too.
But you would expect this as, it’s a heavier vehicle to slow down.
Our Cali is in MPV mode for over Christmas, 5 th seat in at moment but no water in tank, rear bed support/pad removed and just basic coffee/tea making stuff, performance is subjectively much livelier.

Thanks Leffe! Sounds like you have the inside track.
Not really. Just a robot on tinternet.

So is the suspension the same on the Beach and the Ocean?

Quick answer would have to be "No". But could be "Yes"

It depends on what you mean by suspension.

The suspension components will be shared across the range and depend largely on the options selected.
e.g. 4MO Beaches and 4MO Oceans will probably be the same.

If you've specified Dynamic chassis control (DCC) then you'll get different dampers.

You could specify larger anti roll bars on either.

There are different spring options - height and load ratings.

You make your choice and pay accordingly.

I can assure you that VW haven't created a special suspension for the "Beach" and a special one for the "Ocean". They don't sell enough of them to justify the R&D.

Interesting , I never see DCC (dynamic chassis control) mentioned on the forum, we have it and find it great.
The sport setting stiffens the ride and reduces body roll on Winding roads, the comfort setting dampens the ride and makes it a bit quieter and notably more comfortable, it does increase wallowing a lot. There is a normal setting which is mid way between the above.
It’s an expensive option, would we Order it again ? I’m not sure.
Sorry about being off topic but thought this might be of interest

Is the VW Dynamic system magnetic ie magnets around the damper chambers alter the viscosity of the oil?

The decision on whether to go for the SE/Ocean or the Beach can sometimes be difficult and in the end only you can decide. However, having owned both versions at the same time, may I offer my observations to hopefully help you decide?

Firstly, forget any thoughts or suggestions that one version is better than the other. They are completely different vehicles and are designed to suit different life styles. We found both versions to be fabulous. We have since sold the SE simply due to our not being able to use it as often as we had originally intended. We will buy another when our circumstances change. So buy which ever suits your long term needs.

I am not going to mention drive away awnings. An awning will of course increase the flexibility of both types of Cali but you must be able to use either version easily without one.

So the main reason for buying a campervan is to camp in and both versions do the camping thing very well indeed. So first:

Sleeping: Both versions have the same sized double beds upstairs. Once you have mastered getting up there you will find that it's not huge but more than big enough for two adults. The base is designed to have a bit of spring in it so you should find it reasonably comfortable. I suggest you get a Brandrup internal liner as this can make all the difference when the weather is cold, wet and windy. It also cuts down the light through the bellows on a bright morning. Both versions have beds downstairs that are easily put up. The SE/Ocean is obviously narrower than the one in the Beach due to the kitchen etc. We found the narrower bed to be comfortable but snug. The Beach downstairs bed is full width and very capacious. Both beds are quite firm and IMO both need the VW Comfort mattress to make them reasonably comfy, especially on the Beach due to the contoured bench seat it will have to sit on.

Cooking: You can cook in both versions. You obviously need to provide your own cooker with the Beach but unlike the SE/Ocean, that can also be used outside as well. Yes you may have to get out to get it from the boot but that will take no longer than it takes you to get out to turn the gas on with the SE/Ocean. Make sure you properly ventilate the van whilst using the cooker in both versions.

Fridge: The SE/Ocean has a very nice fitted fridge which appears to have only one main drawback. You have to take every thing off the lid to get inside. It doesn't sound much but it can end up being a bit of a pain. Again, you would have to provide your own self contained fridge/freezer for the Beach. We have a 12/24/240 volt self contained Waeco/Dometic fridge/freezer which is of roughly the same capacity and is brilliant. It is also portable so can also be removed into an awning whilst camping thereby freeing up more room in the van. These fridges are superb as they can be brought down to the correct running temperature and pre-loaded with goodies indoors prior to being loaded into the Cali and you decide where to store it, cabin or boot. They are designed to be used as either a fridge or a freezer. They also make a great foot stool.

Washing/washing up: You can do this in the small sink in the SE/Ocean. This vehicle also has both fresh and waste water tanks. We never used the sink as we found it too small. We also didn't get around to using the water tanks because we didn't use the sink, didn't want problems over the tanks and pipes freezing or issues regarding tank cleanliness. We just prefer to use water in separate bottles. Also, we almost always do washing/washing up at the site facilities which are usually more suitable. If not on site then we use our large collapsible washing up bowl. However, many other owners use all of these facilities in their Calis and don't find any issues so it's down to you to decide.

Storage: Basically the SE/Ocean has fixed storage facilities whereas the Beach requires you to provide your own solution. Personally, I found the fixed storage in the SE/Ocean to be very useful but some areas weren't that easy to use. The wardrobe is a very awkward space and we ended up using it to stuff bedding into. We never did find a use for the safe. We loved having the SE fully provisioned and ready to go at a moments notice. So it was perfect for us two old gits to go off and hide in. The Beach is a multi purpose vehicle so lends itself to a range of different storage solutions to suit those different uses. A quick weekend away will require a different storage plan to a longer holiday etc. This is where the flexibility of the Beach really counts. Nothing is fixed so everything is possible. It is very interesting seeing how owners have designed their own storage solutions. We use Really Useful Boxes which fit into the boot very neatly.

Comfort: The parking heater is essential if you plan to use your Cali all year round. It is standard on the SE/Ocean but an option on the Beach. Make sure you order one with the remote control. You can use this gem to pre-warm the van before you arrive back from a cold walk etc. You can also switch it on whilst lying in bed or having your breaky at home and by the time your get in it will be de-frosted and toasty warm.
You can make yourself very comfortable in both versions although you can stretch out a little more in the extra space provided in the Beach. With the front seats turned round both versions provide a cosy space to chat, eat, cook, read etc etc. However, you will find that the leg room is compromised if sitting in the swiveled front passenger seat in the SE/Ocean version as the kitchen unit is in the way. So you will have to sit at an oblique angle. Mind the seat doesn't mark your door card.
Seating to eat etc in the SE/Ocean is limited to four adults only (five in the Beach). However we have often used our seven seater Beach for picnics and have on occasions had seven seated round the table. When we've done this the two captains seats were occupied by little ones on the integral pop up child seats (option) but two adults could fit if the knew each other very well! We always remove the captains seats when going camping.

image.jpeg

Reliability: If you intend to sell before the warrantee expires then this issue shouldn't worry you, however if you intend to keep your Cali long term then it's worth giving this a thought. The California is a very complex vehicle and with that complexity comes the inevitable problems. Many of the threads posted on this forum testify to the type of issues that can occur from time to time. So be prepaired to pay out to have issues fixed at some point in the future.
This is an area where the Beach does have a big advantage. Whilst you are able to do everything in a Beach that can be done in an SE/Ocean, the Beach doesn't have the same level of complexity thereby making it a potentially less problematic long term ownership proposition. The roof is manually operated with no complicated electrical control panel or electro/hydraulic gubbins to go wrong down the line. Just undo the security fittings and the two over centre catches and up it goes.
As you have to provide the self contained cooker and fridge/freezer in the Beach there is no gas supply system, water tanks, pump, valves, pipework, sink, tap, cooker, fridge etc to go wrong at a later date. If your self contained camping equipment goes wrong, it will always be far cheaper to either repair it or chuck it away and buy new than paying garage rates.

So the choice should really be dictated by your long term needs. The SE/Ocean is a superbly built polished self contained camper van suitable for up to four adults, that can and often are used as daily drivers. You can even have a Thetford 335 chemical toilet that fits under the sink :Nailbiting. We had one in our SE but vowed that hell would have to freeze over before we would ever stoop to use it. It was only there as a very last resort. We still have it mint and boxed.
I haven't mentioned the possibility of the fifth swivel captains seat option in the SE/Ocean as IMO it compromises the main use of the vehicle too much to make it a worth while option.

On the other hand, the Beach is a sort of Swiss Army Knife, multi purpose vehicle. If your family is growing and you foresee the need to transport more that four adults or have growing littleuns then I would suggest the Beach is where you should spend you money. These vehicles can be re-configured to perform many different roles e.g we have used ours as a seven seater people carrier for a wedding party, moved the bench seat fully forward to transport a go kart for our grandson, used it for picnics, a mobile beach hut, a sports pavilion that can be positioned in the best viewing spot, had regular massive dumps in (at the council tip) and had many gloriously comfortable nights away camping.

Finally, I have read some saying " by the time you've specced up the Beach to a resonable level the price difference is not that much so you might as well have the SE/Ocean". This is utter nonsense. You must choose the vehicle that's right for you. Price comparisons are not helpful.

What ever you decide, good luck and happy adventures.

Last edited:
Think carefully about the scenarios in which you would be using the Cali and use your head.

In the showroom the Ocean's extra features are compelling, the Beach in contrast looks very basic but, for us, the Beach is the right choice.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

We seem to be just repeating the same things over and over. Anyone after the answer to Beach vs SE/Ocean should read the thread from the beginning and make their own mind up as everyone is biased. Other similar threads can be found using the search function. I suggest drawing a line under this subject, can we possibly create a sticky or FAQ section for newbie basics??

We seem to be just repeating the same things over and over. Anyone after the answer to Beach vs SE/Ocean should read the thread from the beginning and make their own mind up as everyone is biased. Other similar threads can be found using the search function. I suggest drawing a line under this subject, can we possibly create a sticky or FAQ section for newbie basics??
Or perhaps just don't reply if you're not interested? :)

"I haven't mentioned the possibility of the fifth swivel captains seat option in the SE/Ocean as IMO it compromises the main use of the vehicle too much to make it a worth while option."

IMO the problem with the 5 th seat is that it is too complicated, heavy and only one person can fit, identical to the situation in the Beach.
We use our Ocean just like yourself, as an MPV, beach hut and of course camper with the added benefit of a built in cooker fridge etc. Damn it we want our cake and to eat it.
I am trying to get someone interested in producing a lightweight twin seat bench to fit the Cali floor tracks just like Westfalia provided in their T4 conversions from 1991-2003. That seat could be used without any compromise on safety or payload.
If Westfalia could make one weighing 37 kg in 1991 I am sure a carbon fibre equivalent could weigh less than 30 kg today which would make it very portable. Major companies like Rib and Reimo produce tested, complicated seats for a variety of converters without problem, six seats would be very useful on many occasions, so why not?
PS, Before you suggest, if I had wanted a Beach I would have bought one.

What’s your age...???
Generally the older types will head towards an Ocean. The younger more adventurous types seem to go for a Beach.
That’s not a negative, but indicative of how Volkswagen have built and marketed each version of the vehicle.

Yes, there is always an exception to the rule. But generally that’s how it is:thumb

What’s your age...???
Generally the older types will head towards an Ocean. The younger more adventurous types seem to go for a Beach.
That’s not a negative, but indicative of how Volkswagen have built and marketed each version of the vehicle.

Yes, there is always an exception to the rule. But generally that’s how it is:thumb
A little Ageist.
I have an SE and covered a lot more miles and visited a lot more countries than some on here who are a lot younger than we are.

A little Ageist.
I have an SE and covered a lot more miles and visited a lot more countries than some on here who are a lot younger than we are.
Retirement gives so much more scope to travel and investigate the world than when one is still stuck in the rat race, Amarillo is an exception who is making the most of the preschool age of his children and an enviable income stream.

Boris: excellent summary. I'd like to make one comment/addition:
The Beach is available as a 4- or 5-seater. The 4-seater gives you the same bench as the Ocean and you still have the full car-wide bed but with added storage inside the van plus the large under-bed drawer of the Ocean. We've had a Beach with a 3-seat bench and regretted that choice; each time you want to access your gear you have to leave the car which is not funny in bad weather. My advice: if you don't have the need to drive around with five people you're better of with the 2-seat bench. The Beach is a great vehicle in which we have spent over 200 nights. We've now switched to a Coast (available in France, not the UK); I will report back about our experience after our upcoming February/March holiday in Spain and Portugal.

Suppose it’s good that vw offers both. I think the best way to think about it is not compare the 2 but think of it as coast is for touring and Beach is for days away. I’m thinking of it that way and I think it’s prob a good way to consider which to buy. Like some folk say “it depends what you’re using it for” that’s the decision to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s your age...???

Really? Plenty of retired people on here with Beaches. Surfboards,six-packs and a full head of blonde hair are optional despite VW marketing.

As for adventure I would hazard a guess most wild campers on here have an Ocean.

Last edited:
Really? Plenty of retired people on here with Beaches. Surfboards,six-packs and a full head of blonde hair are optional despite VW marketing.

As for adventure I would hazard a guess most wild campers on here have an Ocean.

Actually, thinking of the most intrepid, mountain-climbing, snow-ploughing, off-roading explorers on here most do have an ocean.

My own raison D'etre for having an SE/Ocean was because I do have a penchant for going off-road in foul weather in the most adverse winter months. I can see a lot of sense in a Beach and was toddling on the edge of buying one but for those reasons.