Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 Roof Mattress Uncomfortable - Options

Caligirl

Caligirl

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
My hubby and I prefer to sleep "up top" to keep space below free. My husband doesn't think it uncomfortable but I find I wake stiff as a board.

Has anyone replaced the mattress and found it more comfortable??

We see you can buy Confortz replacement 1" mattress with a Zonesleep Topper and that these can be left in situ when roof closed. As anyone tried this?? There is also a Comfotz 2" memory foam. Really grateful for your comments and help/suggestions.

My hubby and I prefer to sleep "up top" to keep space below free. My husband doesn't think it uncomfortable but I find I wake stiff as a board.

Has anyone replaced the mattress and found it more comfortable??

We see you can buy Confortz replacement 1" mattress with a Zonesleep Topper and that these can be left in situ when roof closed. As anyone tried this?? There is also a Comfotz 2" memory foam. Really grateful for your comments and help/suggestions.
Hi,

We have had the 1 inch Comfortz mattress and Zonesleep Topper for the past 2 years and they are a great combination. They are left in the roof so no messing about with bedding apart from sleeping bags/ covers. The Zonesleep is also very comfortable. Highly recommended.

Hi,

We have had the 1 inch Comfortz mattress and Zonesleep Topper for the past 2 years and they are a great combination. They are left in the roof so no messing about with bedding apart from sleeping bags/ covers. The Zonesleep is also very comfortable. Highly recommended.
Thank you for your reply. Did you also find the original uncomfortable? Also have you washed the Topper yet? Does it fit in a standard washing machine?

Thank you for your reply. Did you also find the original uncomfortable? Also have you washed the Topper yet? Does it fit in a standard washing machine?
Hi again,

We did find the original mattress very uncomfortable. My wife and I have used the mattress as well as our daughter and her husband and we have all been pleased with it. I forgot to mention that we also bought the Zonesleep mattress cover that encloses the Topper. We have never washed the Topper because the cover protects the mattress. We just pop the cover in the washing machine. Hope that this helps your choice.

Hi again,

We did find the original mattress very uncomfortable. My wife and I have used the mattress as well as our daughter and her husband and we have all been pleased with it. I forgot to mention that we also bought the Zonesleep mattress cover that encloses the Topper. We have never washed the Topper because the cover protects the mattress. We just pop the cover in the washing machine. Hope that this helps your choice.
That's great. Thank you for your quick response. At least I can tell my hubby that I'm not the only one who found it uncomfortable!

We bought a topper for downstairs but now sleep upstairs.
Find it quite comfortable but never thought of using the topper upstairs.
It's just one of the many things we bought for the van when we acquired it and then found unnecessary.
Maybe we should try it upstairs, especially if it can be left there with the roof down (I'm not sure whether it's a 1" or 2" version - better check).

We bought a zonesleep for upstairs and a comfortz topper for downstairs. We find the zonesleep an improvement but then had the bright idea of trying the comfortz topper upstairs which fits well.

We then tried various combinations upstairs.... The best is zonesleep on top of comfortz downstairs topper on top of mattress, but it does take up a lot of packing space and faffing.

Just the comfortz topper on the original mattress is MUCH better than just the Zonesleep on the mattress. Particularly if you like to sleep on your side.

Hope this is helpful
Tigs

I don't know how long you've had your Cali...our first two years we both found the upstairs sleeping arrangements slightly uncomfortable, but this year we miraculously seem to have gotten used to it. Perhaps stick it out another year?

I saw in Aldis yesterday mattress toppers, looked to be 2inches thick for £34 if I remember correctly. I bought an inflatable topper from cali.eu and we have been very pleased with it. I don't leave it in situ, so taking in and put a bit of headache but worth it for a more comfortable night's sleep. During the summer w/o a sheet on it it felt cool. Coming home last week it needed a proper Cali mattress fitted sheet. Still, I consider it worth the €99.

It's funny, we find the roof bed to be really comfortable. So much so that we ended up buying a new bed for our house.

We use two of the inexpensive toppers from ikea. They are the right length and a little wide.

We had the same. I was quite happy with the standard upstairs mattress, but Marga wasn't.

We tried several combinations and eventually switched to the german Caliboard replacement mattress, a 3-layered thing that is very comfortable. It has a layer of normal foam and a layer of this spacecraft stuff, and then a layer like Zonesleep on top. Rather expensive, but very comfortable.

Marga also found the slats a little 'wobbly' (if one turns, the other is shaken about) and to 'dampen' that we have added one of these thin self-inflating air mattresses underneath. This is now our ideal combination. Altogether it is a bit too thick to close the roof nicely, but we open the self-inflating mattress' valve when we close the roof and the excess air is then pushed out and the roof closes nicely. When we open the roof, the self-inflating mattress inflates itself, all we have to remember is to close its valve before we climb in...

+1 for the self inflating mats (though I've not had the courage to put the roof down on them yet). Coming from outdoors tent / hiking to the comfort of a Cali I recently pulled out a couple of quite thin, lightweight camping mats (Thermarest) and stuck them under the mattress upstairs. We dont find the bed too uncomfortable but any help was welcome. Yet to try it in anger yet but this set up does seem to be significantly more plush than the standalone mattress. The Thermarests fold down to a small package so no real issue but I may well go with the above and leave them under the mattress with the valves loosened..

+1 for the self inflating mats (though I've not had the courage to put the roof down on them yet). Coming from outdoors tent / hiking to the comfort of a Cali I recently pulled out a couple of quite thin, lightweight camping mats (Thermarest) and stuck them under the mattress upstairs. We dont find the bed too uncomfortable but any help was welcome. Yet to try it in anger yet but this set up does seem to be significantly more plush than the standalone mattress. The Thermarests fold down to a small package so no real issue but I may well go with the above and leave them under the mattress with the valves loosened..

We have 2 Thermarest Basecamp self-inflating and was hoping that they may be able to left in place with the valves closed after they have deflated. They are quite old and only inflate maybe about 1-2 cm but that could be just enough.

It may or may not work but I plan on trying it.