Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upper Mattress Replacement

whiskymac

whiskymac

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
An often discussed subject ...

I sleep upstairs in the van and am a very restless sleeper with a back/hip problem. I fidget a lot, thus disturbing my friend who sleeps below. I don't find the existing Ocean mattress particularly uncomfortable however wonder what suggestions the lovely folks of this forum may have to resolve the issue. And whether the expensive Zonesleep ULTRA Replacement Upstairs Mattress is worth the investment. Or maybe the Sea to Summit self inflating campervan mattress? Or any other thoughts? To save space I don't want to carry a separate topper around, so want something that can be left in place in the roof.

Thanks in advance.

Share your pain, I had a hip replacement just over 2 years ago. You? We have an inexpensive topper from Amazon wrapped in a duvet cover and it’s made a world of difference. Can dig out the details if that may be of assistance. I hope whatever route you choose works for you. Probably not ideal to store anything porous up top, other than when travelling, as it will get damp. We use big mesh dive bags to store bedding and bungie them when travelling to minimise space.

Sorry to butt in, just to let you know the Zonesleep Ultra is due back in at the end of next month. This is by far one our most popular products and we already have 20+ on back order from the next shipment.

I too have had one hip replaced and will also need the other one doing in the not too distant future (a legacy of intensive sport and too many miles on the clock). I tried zone sleep and other toppers but have found the Sea to Summit to be the most comfortable solution for me. We use it instead of the original upstairs mattress, so it has the additional bonus that it can be left in situ deflated with the roof down. I deflate it ‘upstairs’ by the simple process of folding it and sitting on it to squeeze out the air.

I too have had one hip replaced and will also need the other one doing in the not too distant future (a legacy of intensive sport and too many miles on the clock). I tried zone sleep and other toppers but have found the Sea to Summit to be the most comfortable solution for me. We use it instead of the original upstairs mattress, so it has the additional bonus that it can be left in situ deflated with the roof down. I deflate it ‘upstairs’ by the simple process of folding it and sitting on it to squeeze out the air.
And it’s not possible to
Sorry to butt in, just to let you know the Zonesleep Ultra is due back in at the end of next month. This is by far one our most popular products and we already have 20+ on back order from the next shipment.
Thanks ... I have subscribed to the ‘let me know when it is back in stock service’ and await the feedback from this post.
leave it inflated upstairs?

Share your pain, I had a hip replacement just over 2 years ago. You? We have an inexpensive topper from Amazon wrapped in a duvet cover and it’s made a world of difference. Can dig out the details if that may be of assistance. I hope whatever route you choose works for you. Probably not ideal to store anything porous up top, other than when travelling, as it will get damp. We use big mesh dive bags to store bedding and bungie them when travelling to minimise space.
I would be interested to know exactly what you use. Thanks.

The advice with inflatable mattresses is to store them with the valves open, so you probably wouldn't want to keep it fully inflated with valves closed upstairs even if there is space.

An often discussed subject ...

I sleep upstairs in the van and am a very restless sleeper with a back/hip problem. I fidget a lot, thus disturbing my friend who sleeps below. I don't find the existing Ocean mattress particularly uncomfortable however wonder what suggestions the lovely folks of this forum may have to resolve the issue. And whether the expensive Zonesleep ULTRA Replacement Upstairs Mattress is worth the investment. Or maybe the Sea to Summit self inflating campervan mattress? Or any other thoughts? To save space I don't want to carry a separate topper around, so want something that can be left in place in the roof.

Thanks in advance.
I replaced the standard mattress with the Sea to Summit self inflating on our Scottish trip. Best nights sleep I’ve had - and that includes my home bed !
It would be perfect except I kept waking up after dreams about how much it cost !
about £200 eek

I would be interested to know exactly what you use. Thanks.

Here you go. Works perfectly for us upstairs or down. If your situation is similar to mine I also found I benefited from doing additional exercises to strengthen the muscles around my hip, which made the general discomfort much less. Happy to drop them over.
Topper £37 which fits upstairs perfectly.
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z697WCK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_BrYGFb0P8ZPFJ
Duvet cover £17. My Wife machined the cover to the exact size.
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CLQ4ZRF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_XsYGFb5RWVMG8
Here’s the mesh storage bag we use (although there looks to be slightly smaller ones available for half the price).
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001P4FNCU/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ExYGFbQRE22F4

Can you tell me which Sea to Summit model you have - we'd like a more comfortable sleep upstairs. I see they do a campervan one, but it looks designed to fit downstairs?

Can you tell me which Sea to Summit model you have - we'd like a more comfortable sleep upstairs. I see they do a campervan one, but it looks designed to fit downstairs?

The Campervan Model. It is a little narrower but works well for us ‘upstairs’ and has the bonus that if needed it can also be used downstairs.

Thanks, I'm buying one now!

... and can I check, for the wool mattress topper, did you get the small double 120x190 or the EU double 140x200?

Back