Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 Sliding door bush/roller broken - part and fix advice

Max-Felix

Max-Felix

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi all. Always happens on the eve of a trip...

Door was a bit draggy and now what I'm I presume is the lower roller has completely gone. Please see pics.

So now it is just rubbing on the lower assembly...

Can anyone advise the exact part(s) required and the best way to access and replace the part?

Ideally I need to find a physical supplier today.

Many thanks all.

IMG-5242.jpg

IMG-5243.jpg

IMG-5244.jpg

Last edited:
you could try Bognor motors in Chichester, they hire out Californias and do servicing I think.

Any decent local bearing supply firm should be able to find something on the shelf to suit.

Thanks guys. I've had no luck finding a kit in time so I will have to fashion a roller. Can anyone confirm the exact Torx/Splined bits required ASAP.

Thanks guys. I've had no luck finding a kit in time so I will have to fashion a roller. Can anyone confirm the exact Torx/Splined bits required ASAP.
If I remember it right, it's a 40 splined. Buy a set than a single one and will come in handy in future.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

If I remember it right, it's a 40 splined. Buy a set than a single one and will come in handy in future.

Also, are you able to measure the roller dia etc? Lots available on Amazon for prime next day delivery.

Thanks for the post. No, just today to fix! Mrs Felix is currently picking me up Spine bit sets from SF and Halfords so hopefully I’ll work something out. M8 splined is the fitting for sure.

Support the bottom of the sliding door when undoing / removing the bottom bracket, to prevent the mid bracket scraping the paintwork, and make it possible to move the door panel outwards for access (timber is ideal support. )

Is just Kampers in your Neck of the woods ?

They will have the replacement part

Thanks guys - joy of joys the bolts came out with no fuss. All supported up, back, etc and underneath - watched the videos...:)

Only issue is being one of those riveted parts it's pretty difficult to fashion a decent bodge...

IMG-5259.jpg

IMG-5260.jpg

It may not help you today but you can buy all three rollers and shafts as a repair pack (multicoloured auction & autodoc)

Can you fit a circlip or captive washer to the existing shaft - if you can make up a “solid bearing” to press onto the PTFE roller
Aluminium, brass, copper, plastic etc may get you out of trouble in the short term

Well, necessity being the mother of...and all that.

This just might work pretty well - managed to drill and tap the spindle for an M5 bolt and with the help of some aluminium and nylon spacers and bushes it spins pretty darn nicely. Should hopefully hold up until I can get the correct part but at least all the mounting bolts will be super easy to access and undo:

IMG-5261.jpg

IMG-5262.jpg

IMG-5263.jpg

Well, necessity being the mother of...and all that.

This just might work pretty well - managed to drill and tap the spindle for an M5 bolt and with the help of some aluminium and nylon spacers and bushes it spins pretty darn nicely. Should hopefully hold up until I can get the correct part but at least all the mounting bolts will be super easy to access and undo:

IMG-5261.jpg

IMG-5262.jpg

IMG-5263.jpg
Great Job ,

Thread lock ?

A bit more of an update and hopefully some tips for others:

Put it all back and still draggy due to the slightly worn roller so off/on put on 5 layers of HD heatshrink - off/on - draggy on top now - so even a little wear on the roller is not great. So...off/on and took two layers off and it was ok. Should hold until the correct part is fitted ASAP.

Tips:

The units are about £15 to £30 in the UK (Chinese pattern part - also on AliX for about £10 or less) or genuine VW at £150 odd...

Definitely clean out the whole channel (up and down) with WD40 or similar solvent and a mild Scotchbrite, dry, clean, rinse etc. Lube the roller catch by the piller.

Support the door every which way.

Soak the bolts in WD40 or similar overnight before tackling and make sure the splined bit is fully tapped home, the first un-doing will be your best chance, don't slip!

Some YT videos to watch at bottom of post but it's M8 splined not Torx on most T5s.

The bit kit linked is perfect. https://www.halfords.com/tools/hand...-advanced-11-piece-spline-bit-set-628118.html

A 10mm spanner will allow access to the rear bolt.

IMG-5264.jpg

IMG-5265.jpg

IMG-5266.jpg

IMG-5267.jpg

IMG-5268.jpg

IMG-5269.jpg

IMG-5270.jpg

IMG-5271.jpg

Last edited:
Back