Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding window in sliding door

barry

barry

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
The sliding window in the sliding door is comprised of two parts.
The sliding bit and the fixed bit.
The sliding bit has popped out.
I managed to replace it but when I pinched the device that permits the sliding it popped out again (onto my knee).

I'm not quite sure wjhat's broken.
When I squeeze the bit that permits the sliding, the dowel looking thing that protrudes from the lower edge retracts. The corresponding one on the upper edge doesn't though. I can push this latter protruberance down with a fair bit of pressure with my hand and I suspect it's the link that broken.
I can't see any way of dismantling the sliding window to see if that's the case and whether it can be botched.
Any ideas?

If a replacement part is required are we talking about a replacement sliding window, ditto but with the fixed window too (or, with experience of VW, ) the door ?
Sorry for the well-placed cynicism :Iamsorry

TIA
:thumb

I managed to replace it but when I pinched the device that permits the sliding it popped out again (onto my knee).

When I squeeze the bit that permits the sliding, the dowel looking thing that protrudes from the lower edge retracts. The corresponding one on the upper edge doesn't though. I can push this latter protruberance down with a fair bit of pressure with my hand and I suspect it's the link that broken.
I can't see any way of dismantling the sliding window to see if that's the case and whether it can be botched.
Any ideas?

If a replacement part is required are we talking about a replacement sliding window, ditto but with the fixed window too (or, with experience of VW, ) the door ?

TIA
Don’t know if you can buy the slider but when I had a leaking window the whole window was replaced. Quite a straightforward job done by a windscreen firm for the dealer. If I was you I might be inclined to just get a non opening replacement, just a glass panel.

Any ideas?

TIA
As @westfalia said, replacement catch/ lock available. £7.99

Video of replacement.

As @westfalia said, replacement catch/ lock available. £7.99

Video of replacement.

video really helpful, thanks wgas.
first step, take it to bits.
then try fix what's broken.

It may simply be a case that the top rod is not engaged in the cam, (operated when pinching the catch, possibly a simple fix,
if something is broken get a new kit and replace the lot, as all the gubbins are plastic except from the lever rods. The plastic parts will not last if glued
very easy fix if you have a modicum of DIY ability.

It may simply be a case that the top rod is not engaged in the cam, (operated when pinching the catch, possibly a simple fix,
if something is broken get a new kit and replace the lot, as all the gubbins are plastic except from the lever rods. The plastic parts will not last if glued
very easy fix if you have a modicum of DIY ability.
Thanks folks.
Ordered the fixing kit at £7.99 today.
My grandad used binder twine and string to fix everything that broke.
In his image I use gorilla glue.
But In this case I'll take advice and invest in a replacement kit.
Once again people thanks for the heads up.

£7.99 fixing kit has arrived.

I've dismantled the pinch switch of the sliding window and gorilla glue doesn't look a solution as a poster above suggested.
The rotating articulation of the pusher with the cam had sheered at the rotating joint.
so i just replaced everything.
seriously fiddly.

i'd read somewhere it was a 15 min job.
with the window removed it took me 2 hours.
the video was very helpful.

putting the sliding window back in place once the pinch switch had been fixed was a nightmare.
another hour.

so thanks for the help y'all.
It's 26oC outside, heaven knows what the temp was inside the Cali while I was doing this.
I'm due a large G&T now (holding much of the T).

[ps just come back from a week in Skye (airbnb in a remote quiet bit overlooking Rona).
saw maybe a half dozen Calis in the busy bits of skye but hundreds and hundreds of great whites.]

Back