Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 vs T6 Driver's Seat - Same or Different?

Yorvik

Yorvik

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Please would any owner who has experience of both T5 & T6 advise whether the driver's seat is the same or different?
I have a T5 and cannot manage to get comfortable despite every adjustment and foam/cushion addition imaginable. There are no VW California dealers anywhere close to me to try a T6 and the dealers I have spoken to on the phone seem relatively ignorant regarding any differences. I find the T5 seat a bit 'buckety' whereas some other VW's (Polo & Passat) have flatter seat squabs.
Any experience/advice would be most appreciated.

Don't think there is any difference. I had my seats re-trimmed in leather near Liverpool and the company also could do any seat work including total rebuild. That might be an option as they can re use the original cover.

Last edited:
I have owned a T5 SE and a T6 Beach at the same time. As far as I am aware the only difference between the two versions are the seat coverings. The basic standard under lying swiveling seats appear to be exactly the same on both models.
Have you thought about trying the non swiveling VW comfort seat option. I believe you can order this for the drivers seat only leaving the passengers seat as standard. I have no experience of these seats but as the name suggests, you might find it more comfortable. As they aren't that popular, being non swivelling, you might be able to locate a second hand one for you van and then have it retrimmed to match.

Last edited:
Many thanks - both options worth trying. Do you recall the name of the firm that recovered your seats Digger? I hadn't though of the comfort seats but certainly something to look into. The swivel function whilst really useful will only be so if I can use the van and therefore it is something I would be prepared to lose.

To be honest I noticed a difference just between the T5 drivers seat and the passenger seat. I find the passenger seat horrible and have since it was new.

Do they do discounts sometimes then? I've had a quote but not going to get it past management...

My bet it's Trim-Technik in Birkenhead..... I'm booked in for a re-trim in leather in a few weeks time.

What sort of design/colours are you going for? I popped in there last week to pickup some samples but can't decide whether to play it safe with something relatively plain/simple, or go for something more jazzy! :cool: Would be really interested in seeing photos when its done too :thumb

I got one of these https://www.backinaction.co.uk/back...ullsiO4IH1eMhmJs47ww3b0CKxNQaujQaAkQuEALw_wcB which suited my back at the time. They used to lend them to you to try, so it might be worth asking the manufacturer if that is still an option.
I had a Mk5 Golf which nearly crippled me, but my wife's Mk4 was fine. The back friend was enough to make the Mk5 a pleasant car to drive. I used it in the T5 for a while, but the seat, or my back, mellowed after a while.

What sort of design/colours are you going for? I popped in there last week to pickup some samples but can't decide whether to play it safe with something relatively plain/simple, or go for something more jazzy! :cool: Would be really interested in seeing photos when its done too :thumb

I'm just going "OEM Caravelle" look and colour, like below. Mine's a 7-seater Beach, currently in Kutamo fabric.

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 11.36.02.png

I got one of these https://www.backinaction.co.uk/back...ullsiO4IH1eMhmJs47ww3b0CKxNQaujQaAkQuEALw_wcB which suited my back at the time. They used to lend them to you to try, so it might be worth asking the manufacturer if that is still an option.
I had a Mk5 Golf which nearly crippled me, but my wife's Mk4 was fine. The back friend was enough to make the Mk5 a pleasant car to drive. I used it in the T5 for a while, but the seat, or my back, mellowed after a while.
Thanks Simon - Back Friends are really great. I use them constantly at home but don't find them all that useful in the T5 unfortunately.
I've now managed to speak to Experia who convert Transporters. Graham has confirmed that the T5&T6 seats are not quite the same, having different seat base foam. These can be ordered in and then used on the T5 with the original fabric used to re-cover. He did think however that the lack of height adjustment might be a significant factor.
Interestingly I had the chance to sit in a Merc Marco Polo and couldn't believe how much more adjustment was available. Height, rake and even angle of the seat base - all fully adjustable on both front seats which can also rotate. Great shame VW don't offer the same seat flexibility.

Many thanks - both options worth trying. Do you recall the name of the firm that recovered your seats Digger? I hadn't though of the comfort seats but certainly something to look into. The swivel function whilst really useful will only be so if I can use the van and therefore it is something I would be prepared to lose.
Apologies for delay.
Trimtechnik. They are in the Wirral and have worked on several Cali's. They even give you back original covers if you ever need them again.

Apologies for delay.
Trimtechnik. They are in the Wirral and have worked on several Cali's. They even give you back original covers if you ever need them again.
Thanks Digger - much appreciated.

Back