Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean - DAB Interference / FM & DAB Auto Switching

C

CoutzCampervan

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I live in Guernsey and I'm experiencing issues with my DAB reception when listening to BBC stations. Not quite sure how to describe it but overall reception is good (its not dropping in and out) except for very brief busts of distortion which are no more than half a second and sort of sounds like someone blowing on a microphone. The interference happens whether or not I have my phone with me so it is not that.

The FM signal is fine but every time I go into settings on the Discovery Pro unit and change from FM/DAB to FM only it will play FM briefly and then revert back to DAB and the interference resumes and every time I turn the ignition on the setting is back to FM/DAB. I've deleted and reset all my pre-sets with FM only stations but still it "upgrades" my listening experience to DAB and the interference is back and I have to play around with settings again.

1) Does anyone else have issues with DAB interference (I see other threads on DAB reception dropping out and poor reception but other than these short burst of interference my overall DAB reception seems pretty good).

2) Does anyone no how to disable the auto FM/DAB switching function?. Is it normal that the unit will keep on switch to DAB despite me setting "FM" in advanced settings?

Any feedback welcome

Is the issue only when listening to the radio?
Could the Voice Enhancement feature be causing the apparent sound? We have a similar issue when the window is open and the wind causes a similar effect.

If you can dispel the above then you may need to check the DAB band settings. We had l band enabled and although we received stations, the reception was very poor

Do you have any USB chargers or the like in the van. I have had trouble with cheap ones causing interference.

There’s a workaround for this - basically program your stations in as FM (that is as long as they have a FM transmission). So in preset 1 is Radio 1FM not DAB. Go into settings click FM and you’ll drop back to the FM preset and it won’t switch to DAB.

Am sure there’s a more black belt Carista option somewhere to stop the auto switching. I was amazed to find AM on my 6.1 unit - handy for the Scottish highlands and BBC Scotland on 810kHz or even Caroline on 648 in Suffolk!!