Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Pop-top gap when closed

D

DanS

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Happy Christmas everyone!
We have recently bought a T6.1 Ocean after 6 years with our T5 SE (though I'm yet to update my profile). There's a few teething issues to sort but the one I wanted to canvas opinion on was the gap between the seal on the pop-top and the fixed roof, when closed. Apologies if this has been addressed before but I've not found similar via the search (though ineptitude could easily be at play).
Passenger side:
20231221_121448.jpg
Driver's side:
20231221_121506.jpg

There's movement in the roof on the passenger side at this point, whereas the driver side is clearly flush. My main concern is water ingress, though the drain should take care of anything that gets into the gap.
Has anyone else got or had similar?
I've not approached the dealer yet but I'm anticipating the official line being 'within normal tolerances'.
Thanks in advance.

Happy Christmas everyone!
We have recently bought a T6.1 Ocean after 6 years with our T5 SE (though I'm yet to update my profile). There's a few teething issues to sort but the one I wanted to canvas opinion on was the gap between the seal on the pop-top and the fixed roof, when closed. Apologies if this has been addressed before but I've not found similar via the search (though ineptitude could easily be at play).
Passenger side:
View attachment 117543
Driver's side:
View attachment 117544

There's movement in the roof on the passenger side at this point, whereas the driver side is clearly flush. My main concern is water ingress, though the drain should take care of anything that gets into the gap.
Has anyone else got or had similar?
I've not approached the dealer yet but I'm anticipating the official line being 'within normal tolerances'.
Thanks in advance.
That is not within any tolerances.
Has it ever been ‘flush’ since you’ve had it? If not take it back.
I’ve had that once - when I left something in the the roof on the metal bit above passenger seat!
Happy Christmas to you. Nadolig Llawen i chi.

Not normal. We had this with T6 sometimes. You can gently help the roof by pushing with hand on side not getting flush in the last phase to get it flush on both sides. This way water ingress can be avoided. Make sure the matress in top roof is in the middle, not too far to the back . If under warranty do not hesitate to take it to the dealer.
Make sure cali is on horizontall surface and raise and lower the roof a few times in a row. Maybe some air bubbles in the hydraulics on one side .
Happy christmas

Last edited:
I’d agree with others - pop it back up and check absolutely everywhere for something in the way. The tiny rubber bungs on the scissor mechanism have a tendency to drop off, so check those too and that one is not in the way somewhere.

Thanks everyone. Great advice and good to know that I'm not alone in thinking it's not normal.
I must admit to not looking at that area closely when we collected the van but we've only had it a few weeks and the roof has only been up twice so I'm presuming it's been like it since then.
I'll put it up and down a few times and check nothing is in the way and contact the dealer.
Thanks everyone and I'll update the forum with any progress in case it helps others.

Thanks everyone. Great advice and good to know that I'm not alone in thinking it's not normal.
I must admit to not looking at that area closely when we collected the van but we've only had it a few weeks and the roof has only been up twice so I'm presuming it's been like it since then.
I'll put it up and down a few times and check nothing is in the way and contact the dealer.
Thanks everyone and I'll update the forum with any progress in case it helps others.
Don‘t forget to update your cali model,in your forum profile, it still shows T5.