Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop top roof

It can't be good for the roof panel twisting it that much.

I trust the dealer could agree that there was still a problem?

VW say there isn’t a problem with the roof on T6.1 Oceans, but then again they said there wasn’t a problem with diesel emissions. Until there was. They offered me £100 goodwill I could spend on accessories. I rejected the offer, pointing out that it costs between £100 and £140 a day to hire one of these and they‘ve had it for a month and it’s still not fixed.
They changed a ram but VW won’t let them change the pump. Just keep bleeding the system, it’ll be fine. Well, you can see the results.

I don‘t want to say at the moment. Bear in mind I have to sort things out with VW CustomerCare. I actually think the Service Manager is a good guy, highly regarded by his own staff and always courteous any time I spoke with him. He hasn’t had the necessary support from VW.
I think VW need to have a rethink. If it’s a warranty job on a roof, VW are paying for it and they should decide where they want you to take it. If that means there are only a few dealers working on roofs so be it.
The way it works at present, you book it in to your nearest van dealer, who may never have done a roof repair. That was the case with me.
Having said all that, roofs caving in was never a big problem until the T6.1 Oceans

Had exactly the same problem as mansfieldman75 except i didn't have the forethought to take photos to show the dealer. My roof has sagged since new(2020) but struggled for an hour to get it closed a month ago,up and down,up and down until it finally closed but fortunately no damage done to the roof.

Don’t worry. When the problem first occurred, Thursday 7th July, Porth Beach, Cornwall, the day the roof caved in literally and metaphorically, I never thought to take photos either. I was too busy standing on the driver‘s seat supporting the roof while my wife pushed the button.
Made sure I got some this time though.
Learned something too, how to brush out your numberplate on an iPhone photo.
See, always look on the bright side of life.

Hi Glenn, have a look at the posting from Robbox2 on August 2. There are some brilliant photos from the chap from Ireland of his roof problem. If you were to substitute my van for his, the photos would be same. He was in France, hot weather, I was in Cornwall, heatwave when problem occurred. There is a real problem with the roof system on T6.1 Oceans. Some say it’s a bad batch of pumps. Maybe. I’m not so sure. I think VW have a major problem on their hands. As for my own van, come tomorrow it will have been in for repair for 4 weeks. To say I am disillusioned with the whole business would be an understatement. On an £85000 van it’s just not good enough. Oh, and sympathies for your own predicament.
Thank you very much, I really appreciate your reply and thank you for confirming this. I was beginning to think it was something I had done. I like you am a bit disappointed with the van. Saved for years and was so happy when we finally got the van but I have to admit, that for such an expensive but of kit, we have had a lot of problems. I will keep you posted when VW look at it late September.

I’ve now read your previous posts and I really don’t think you have to worry about the repair not being covered by warranty. You had the van in twice before for a saggy roof to be looked at and you have photos. Don’t worry about it. It’s a warranty job. All I will say is don’t expect to get it back in a hurry. Apparently they need a special frame to work on the roof, for the safety of the technicians, and to protect the van from damage. In my case that alone took two weeks to arrive
Thank you very much for reassuring me. I must admit that I have been worried in case VW try to find a way not to do the work under the warranty.

Thanks. What we need is TripleBee to come over and get these roofs fixed. What that guy doesn’t know about electro hydraulic roofs ain’t worth knowing, and he’s funny with it.

Back