Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 USB-C compatible with USB-PD (Power Delivery)

HappyGus

HappyGus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi,

I will be soon placing an order for a T6.1 and have got a question.
I've been unable to find an answer to this question(either on the specs or with my local retailer :( ), so I wonder if somebody has the T6.1 and already knows the answer:

The T6.1 comes with the USB-C sockets. Those new socket allows the use of a charging technology called USB-C PD(or USB-C Power Delivery).

This allows:
1) Fast charging(as fast as QuickCharge or even faster)
2) Charging devices that require more power than a smartphone(laptop by example).

In my case:
1) sometimes my car doesn't provide enough power to charge my phone under heavy usage when I drive(waze+spotify+hotspot), but if I charge with a 12V USB-C PD socket, it's perfect(But using a 12V socket prevents me to use Android Auto since currently the cable is required)
2) if I could charge my laptop without having a 12V converter when I drive, it would be perfect

So is there anybody that knows if the T6.1 support the "USB-C Power Delivery"?

I don't know, but my best guess would be that you're asking too much too soon. https://www.embedded-computing.com/...ext-generation-usb-power-delivery-to-vehicles
But since they did use the USB-C, there is already no more USB-A limitations, so I feel they would already have done the biggest part.

I don't expect to have 100W, but maybe something in between, since that is already nicely done by 12V USB-C plugs since the last 4 years would not be too much to ask.

HI all

Does Anyone know where all of the USB-C [Power Deliver] sockets are please? I have seen there’s two up front on the dash board and reading above it seems they‘ll charge a laptop too, which is great news if working remotely from the van, but at the risk of draining the starter battery hence the question if there’s any behind the b-pillar.

Thanks

HI all

Does Anyone know where all of the USB-C [Power Deliver] sockets are please? I have seen there’s two up front on the dash board and reading above it seems they‘ll charge a laptop too, which is great news if working remotely from the van, but at the risk of draining the starter battery hence the question if there’s any behind the b-pillar.

Thanks
I've received the bus. They don't support the power delivery mode, so no laptop charging. They are not powered when the engine isn't running, so no risks of draining battery. There isn't any other USB-c. You have 2 other old USB on the kitchen. I've baught a 12v to USB-PD converter

I've received the bus. They don't support the power delivery mode, so no laptop charging. They are not powered when the engine isn't running, so no risks of draining battery. There isn't any other USB-c. You have 2 other old USB on the kitchen. I've baught a 12v to USB-PD converter
Thanks for confirming before I rushed out with my Laptop today to check if it were working. Oddly the 12V sockets are live as my dash camera continues to work when switched off.

I‘m contemplating purchasing the following

Does it charge laptops?

... and are their any boffins that could work out the leisure battery drain rate if I were to use one, let’s say I’m using a 72W USB-C PD 12V Charger. My days of ‘ohms law’ are behind me unfortunately
I guess it depends which one. My laptop require only 30w, some laptop require 45 and some. Other even 90w

Does it charge laptops?

... and are their any boffins that could work out the leisure battery drain rate if I were to use one, let’s say I’m using a 72W USB-C PD 12V Charger. My days of ‘ohms law’ are behind me unfortunately
Amps x Volts = Watts

So if Power Consumption is 72 w then at 12v you’ll be using 6 amps/hr.

I’m interested in this thread because on a longer trip we tend to carry a lot of devices including a MacBook Pro. What I am wondering from the OP’s question is why not use the standard mains charger plugged into the 240v inverter socket in the front seat? My further question is would this work whilst driving as well as parked up?

I’m interested in this thread because on a longer trip we tend to carry a lot of devices including a MacBook Pro. What I am wondering from the OP’s question is why not use the standard mains charger plugged into the 240v inverter socket in the front seat? My further question is would this work whilst driving as well as parked up?
my feeling was that converting 12V DC to 230V AC to 5-19V DC was going to be much less efficient than converting 12V DC to 5-19V DC.

my feeling was that converting 12V DC to 230V AC to 5-19V DC was going to be much less efficient than converting 12V DC to 5-19V DC.
Maybe so, but the OP question and majority of responses were about whether there was enough power via the various usb outlets to charge a laptop. My point is the 240v socket is the most powerful in the van and so would obviously be up the task with the standard home charger. I suppose efficiency might be an issue when off grid to minimise battery drain but OP was talking about charging whilst driving. I am wondering if anyone has done this and what the pros and cons might be?

...the more I think of it, what is the point of having usb-c upfront? What are the benefits if they’re not of type PD because I’ll need to procure additional cables to charge phones as I cannot use existing ones.

...the more I think of it, what is the point of having usb-c upfront? What are the benefits if they’re not of type PD because I’ll need to procure additional cables to charge phones as I cannot use existing ones.
Delivers power 2-3 times faster than USB3 and data about twice as fast

I've got a Baseus one, seems to work ok but gets awfully hot ..... literally cannot touch it, its that hot! Wondering how the others fare or if anyone experiences the same with the Baseus one?

I've replaced the 12v socket on the kitchen's cabinet for a USB charger that supports PD. I still haven't tried my MacBook Air on it, but I'm hoping the specs are accurate and it works. For any T6 owners (or even T6.1 judging from this thread) wanting to do this, I have put together a detailed explanation of how I did it. It is really simple and, in my opinion, well worth the effort: https://medium.com/@maxi-mizer/replace-vw-california-kitchen-12v-outlet-with-usb-ports-f5f6394d7993

BTW, this is what it looks like now:
IMG_5351.png

Coming back to this thread. I am quite disappointed with the electricity. There are two leisure batteries, which should be able to at least charge a phone overnight.
If I understand it correctly:
  • Front ports are from starter battery, so no overnight charging with the engine off (which is a good idea, I do not want to drain starter battery)
  • Inverter would do DC->AC->DC, not very efficient, but doable
  • Kitchen cabinet ports are only when you are connected to outside power - that would work, but only when on power
  • There are no USB ports that are charging devices from leisure batteries! So let's look at the 12V sockets
    • One in the trunk - not really useful for charging phones
    • One in the roof for the person(s) sleeping in the pop-up roof - fine, I'll buy an adapter, but why not USB?
    • One stuck behind the bench, really badly accessible (but I might be able to stuck it in with a usb cable out - but why not usb ports?)
    • One in the front near the windshield - I found another post that this one comes from the leisure battery as well, is it true?
When you sleep, how do you charge your devices if not plugged-in?

Coming back to this thread. I am quite disappointed with the electricity. There are two leisure batteries, which should be able to at least charge a phone overnight.
  • Front ports are from starter battery, so no overnight charging with the engine off (which is a good idea, I do not want to drain starter battery)
  • Kitchen cabinet ports are only when you are connected to outside power - that would work, but only when on power
  • There are no USB ports that are charging devices from leisure batteries! So let's look at the 12V sockets
    • One in the roof for the person(s) sleeping in the pop-up roof - fine, I'll buy an adapter, but why not USB?
    • One stuck behind the bench, really badly accessible (but I might be able to stuck it in with a usb cable out - but why not usb ports?)
    • One in the front near the windshield - I found another post that this one comes from the leisure battery as well, is it true?
If you have camping mode switched on, the kitchen cabinet sockets should work.

The USB socket on the kitchen are on the leisure batteries. But I would recommend to buy a 12v usb-c 60w adapter. Like this you can even charge laptop without converting DC to ac to DC

I think others have answered but the ports next to the plug socket on the end of the kitchen cabinet are both from the leisure and always on, on hookup or not. Only the main plug is activated by EHU. Invertor is leisure (only item in front of the seats that is) but as you say, you have to be careful not to have too many amps and drain them. Phones should be fine though, as long as you keep an eye on the batteries. Kettles and toasters, not so much. Many people plug in a little USB hub into the 12v that is under the bench seat and mount the USB on the facia so they are easy to get to. The 12v in front of the dash is from the starter battery. Everything is from the headrests forward apart from inverter. Full agree on the pop top 12V - pointless and should be USB. Not sure about the camping mode comment - camping mode is for lights, not sockets.

I think others have answered but the ports next to the plug socket on the end of the kitchen cabinet are both from the leisure and always on, on hookup or not. Only the main plug is activated by EHU. Invertor is leisure (only item in front of the seats that is) but as you say, you have to be careful not to have too many amps and drain them. Phones should be fine though, as long as you keep an eye on the batteries. Kettles and toasters, not so much. Many people plug in a little USB hub into the 12v that is under the bench seat and mount the USB on the facia so they are easy to get to. The 12v in front of the dash is from the starter battery. Everything is from the headrests forward apart from inverter. Full agree on the pop top 12V - pointless and should be USB. Not sure about the camping mode comment - camping mode is for lights, not sockets.
for the pop-top 12V: I've a 12V socket that charge really much faster than the factory USB, so I prefer they put some 12V than outdated USB ports.
Also, I've an external 4G/5G antenna that I use when I work in very remote locations. It's mounted on a suction cup and I power it from this socket.

You DEFINITELY CAN charge laptops overnight from either or both USB ports on the side of the cabinets - my laptop, as most are these days, is low powered USB-C chargeable. Ensure you’re charging using a USB 3.0 blue cable

We’ll often leave two laptops on charge overnight using this method

For those with a T5, we’re behind the curve with a 12v Hella socket next the the 240v socket on the side of the kitchen cabinet.
Following an evening of fiddling through small apertures, I’m pleased to report I’ve managed to replace this Hella socket with a USB + USB C PD socket.
Using maxi-mizer-t6’s guide above, the process was similar, though the Hella sockets width was smaller than the new USB sockets. So both the cabinet’s hole and plastic face plate needed to be opened up.
Silver cover wouldn’t close over the new wider face plate, so this has been removed too.

Pleased with the end result, as the Hella socket plus adapter was a cumbersome setup which often got knocked out.

Before (during) and after photos.79C71FED-FBDD-4861-B5EA-07CD0ED3B511.jpegC99E1495-39C9-40E3-A184-B0840E672BCC.jpeg

Back