Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 204 TSI Petrol - Slow to warm up

CampervanTime

CampervanTime

VIP Member
Vehicle
Westy Sven Hedin
Hi everyone

I’ve noticed that the 204 TSI Petrol van we have on loan from VW at the moment is extremely slow to warm up. Ok I know it’s cold at the moment but I drove 12 miles (25 minutes) this morning and it still wasn’t at 90c on the dial when I had finished my trip.

Yesterday going to the NEC (60 miles, 1.5hrs) it did, so I know the thermostat is ok.

/geek mode on/

The EA888 engine that the Cali uses is the same basic engine as we had in our Audi S3, and that had a really really quick warm up time as it had an electronic thermostat unit. I wonder if they just don’t fit that on the Cali.

I also noticed there is no Webasto coolant heater on the Cali either, so that won’t help. (Well, there is no webasto sticker on the door where the eberspatcher one is).

I also wondered if there rear aircon / heater matrix unit means that the Cali/‘velle has a particularly large amount of coolant that it has to heat too?

/geek mode off/

How quickly does the TDI warm up in cold weather like this? 0c etc?

I drive 6 miles to work & my cali does not quite reach temp even with the heater on.
So I bought & use a smart to get to work. Smart does reach running temp.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Leave it in second gear till it’s warm.

That’s what the Rev limiter is for. No?

This time of year..... I often do a 7-8 miles trip, first thing in the day..... Engine doesn't get to temp. I try to use my motorbike or push-bike for this journey, when I can......

Mine's a TDI, 150PS manual FWD Beach.

Another difference then. On my T5.1 180, if below 5c then it warms up within 4 miles maximum. The Coolant heater is ON as is the AirCon front & rear. I am getting heat within 2 miles.
If above 5c takes upto 7 miles.

needle doesn't move on mine until around 12 miles. Foot down up a hill needle moves quicker than the speedo.
below 5oC it warms up within 2 mins from aid of coolant heater which is nice.
Seats get warm in 20 seconds.
Also if you have the cab heater on trying to blow warm air in, it will steal any heat the engine is producing from the coolant via the matrix which will take it even longer .

Interesting stuff

Well the coolant heater is certainly not there on the TSI models. If you have a look at the brochure it says next to the parking heater with coolant heater (not on TSI models) so it is obviously just referring to the coolant element.

It is a bit of a pity though as it does take an absolute age to warm up. Not good at all. Bring on the TDI

I’ve been monitoring this more closely since my comment above.

I’m up to correct temp within 2-4 miles.... and it’s not the warmest out there this week.

Hmmm, it must just be the additional help of the coolant heater (the webasto) on the TDIs then. I'm pretty sure that is standard on the Beach even if you don't have the parking heater isn't it?

Another difference then. On my T5.1 180, if below 5c then it warms up within 4 miles maximum. The Coolant heater is ON as is the AirCon front & rear. I am getting heat within 2 miles.
If above 5c takes upto 7 miles.
My son has the 180 Sportline version (no coolant heater); he complains it takes ages to warm up.

My son has the 180 Sportline version (no coolant heater); he complains it takes ages to warm up.
Yes. Diesels produce much less heat compared to a Petrol engine, apparently.

That is why diesel cars prepared for cold climates have a diesel heater for the engine coolant so they warm up quicker.

Back