Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Beach pop up roof stay

ross walker

ross walker

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Hi, I have just fitted a Thule top box to my T6 Beach and noticed when the roofs popped up with it on empty its sagging a bit to the left where its fitted does anyone know of a pop up roof stay to take the tension off the struts? The box weighs 24 kg and understand there is a 50 kg limit is that correct? Its a LHD and had to put it on the left as can't reach over the awning. Also anybody know of a decent step thats high enough i bought a collapsable one and its not tall enough so using a folding ally bench at the moment but its a big thing to throw in the van.
Any info would be appreciated,
Thanks
Ross.

There are some gas prop stays that someone posted the other
day for the tailgate, like a piece of tubing that wraps around the
shiny part when erect.

In your case i wouldn't use them as you might put too much pressure on
the gas strut fixings, i would use one of these props.

Screwfix probably have them.
images-4.png

Thanks for that, i'll have a look at them. I guess it would be easier on the struts having the box in the middle but i wouldn't be able to reach in it. Any idea what the props are called?
Thanks
Ross.

found them around £32.
i'll check them out
thanks
Ross.

You might find that the 60 kilo limit is for the Ocean with the hydraulic roof which is why you need to support the beach roof.

Hi, I have just fitted a Thule top box to my T6 Beach and noticed when the roofs popped up with it on empty its sagging a bit to the left where its fitted does anyone know of a pop up roof stay to take the tension off the struts? The box weighs 24 kg and understand there is a 50 kg limit is that correct? Its a LHD and had to put it on the left as can't reach over the awning. Also anybody know of a decent step thats high enough i bought a collapsable one and its not tall enough so using a folding ally bench at the moment but its a big thing to throw in the van.
Any info would be appreciated,
Thanks
Ross.
I would recommend getting a longer ladder mounting the box centrally and then probably using 2 props, one on each side for safety and equal loading of the roof supports. Be careful on windy days until you’ve got a system you trust.

I use this ladder when I have my box on.

The further back on the roof you position the box the less turning moment it will place on the pivot point (hinge). Might help a bit.
There have been lots of threads asking about roof limits and no definitive answers. I would regard that 50kg as a roof down limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same issue. Our Thule slidebars are much heavier than normal racks. Paired with two solar panels is on the limit. I have experimented with a photo monopod but I dont trust it.

Ive used walking poles in the past when ive been concerned about the bit of sag if the box is left on - I didn't want it slowly closing on me in the night!! It doesn't take much effort to pop the box off when we arrive our campsite as long as were there for a number of days.

Back