Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 California - shudder taking off in first gear

E

Eamonn

Vehicle
T6 Beach 102
Hi all,

I bought my '68 Beach from Listers in Worcester two and a half years ago, and still absolutely love it. However, there has been an occasional problem with it shuddering when taking off in first gear. As I let the clutch out and start to move, it shudders for a second or two and then all is good. I haven't noticed clutch slip in any gears, I've only experienced this taking off in first gear. It doesn't always happen, but it can be very pronounced when it does, which really detracts from the otherwise great driving experience. My wife says it's even more noticeable when sitting in the back.

I asked Listers to check it on each of the first two services, but they couldn't reproduce the problem. It's now in for its third service with them and I've asked them to investigate beyond taking it for a test drive. I don't want to take it back unfixed and then be out of warranty in a few months time!

Wondering if anyone else has experienced similar. I found a few threads about similar symptoms on DSG calis, but mine is a manual.

Any insights appreciated!!

Hi Eamonn

the shudder your experiencing, when does it happen I.e when the engine is a full working temp, cold , heavy traffic / clutch use, incline / decline, wet / dry Etc.

post a couple of the threads regarding DSG in this thread (please)

Hi Eamonn

the shudder your experiencing, when does it happen I.e when the engine is a full working temp, cold , heavy traffic / clutch use, incline / decline, wet / dry Etc.

post a couple of the threads regarding DSG in this thread (please)
Hi, thanks for your response. I can't say for certain whether temperature or dampness has any effect. Taking off on an incline does make it worse.

Here's a post about a DSG shudder problem, apparently due to a flywheel issue

As it's a manmual, sounds very much like a flywheel problem. It almost certainly has what's known as a 'dual mass flywheel' which is intended to smooth out the transfer of power from the engine, but when they fail you get the judder you describe. I had it on a diesel Passat (< 20k miles). It was difficult to reproduce whenever I took it to the dealer but eventually they accepted it was a problem and changed the clutch and flywheel under warranty.

First thing in a morning when cold?

As it's a manmual, sounds very much like a flywheel problem. It almost certainly has what's known as a 'dual mass flywheel' which is intended to smooth out the transfer of power from the engine, but when they fail you get the judder you describe. I had it on a diesel Passat (< 20k miles). It was difficult to reproduce whenever I took it to the dealer but eventually they accepted it was a problem and changed the clutch and flywheel under warranty.
Thanks for your response! Interesting that yours was another case related to the flywheel.

Could you film it, is it going to be noticeable on a video? If so you would have proof there is a problem and have a better chance of getting it fixed within warranty.

Wonder if the hill start brake is sticking somehow? When setting off on a hill the brake should hold for a second or so and then release

I don't know when it started, but my California does the same. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or warm. Starting of in the first gear I can feel a bit of shuttering. I can control it when I accelerate slowly and easy, but it is worse if I want to pull away quickly.

The camper is out of warranty so I wait a bit and see if it gets worse or if it stays like this. Beside that everything is ok. If the camper is rolling I can stay nicely in the first gear (eg. bad road).

My 08 T5 does it too, cold. At first I suspected DMF but my usual test for those is to find a steep ramp and try to reverse up it, and it passes that test.

DMFs are essentially consumables - if it is wearing and is left too long, the mounting holes can elongate and make removal impossible without and angle grinder. Worst case it lets go and wrecks the casing, so worth erring on the side of caution.

My 08 t5 also does the same, seems to be if I am trying to feather the clutch to move off uphill slowly it jumps and judders like crazy. If I am a bit more assertive then it's fine.
Only seems to do it from cold up a slope.

I'd tend to suspect the Dual Mass Flywheel.

Thanks all for the responses. It sounds like the flywheel probably is the culprit! Unfortunately Listers are saying that it hasn't happened on their test drive, and that they can't do anything about it until they can reproduce the problem. Very frustrating!

If they can't find it I'll have to video it the next time it happens and take that back as evidence.

Back