Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Options - Factory Fit vs Dealer Fit

blondebier

blondebier

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I'm looking at the current options list on a new T6 beach.

They all sound great and before long it's quite easy to have configured a van north of £50k. That's a fair amount to spend and I couldn't really justify it even if I could afford it!

So... how many of the options could be retrofitted at the dealer? I guess things like electric vs manual roof would be obvious factory fit. Engine, gearbox etc.

What about things like tow bars? Sat nav?

I hope this isn't as stupid as it sounds. I guess my question is more like when could options be termed accessories.

Once I've chosen an engine and gearbox should I be that worried about what it comes with? Are most things ok to be added later? Are there any warranty issues with my thinking?

Is there anything definitely worth getting factory installled by experience?

Any tips would be most welcome.

I picked up an ex-demo T5 a couple of months ago which had the entry level sat-nav. As part of the deal they got the 510 installed for me at factory cost so that should certainly be considered an option for retro-fitting. If you're in the Surbiton part of the world I can give you the details of the third party company they used for it as well if you like.

Auxiliary heater is a must for most people I think and you'd want this done in the factory.

Thanks Bramco - It looks like the auxiliary heater is standard on the beach now. The brochure on VWs site has it listed under BEACH STANDARD EQUIPMENT. :thumb

Not knowing anything about this - does it heat the car with the engine off? Is this what does the engine pre-heating too or is that something else?

Sorry blondebier. I should have said parking heater. This whole area is very confusing in the terminology they use and the dealers don't seem to have much of a clue either!

Revising what I said earlier, I think the auxiliary heater is the function which allows you to direct any remaining heat from the engine to the front or rear when you stop. So 30 minutes or so before the engine cools.

What I should have said most people can't do without is the parking heater. This is a separate heater that also runs off the diesel which blows warm air into the vehicle and can be used independently of the engine. You wouldn't want to retrofit this.

As for which option for the Beach, its very confusing. I think you want a 7VG or VM. But what the differences are between the other options at the same price I haven't a clue. As I said on another thread, this option tripped us up on our order. We found out that the option we had ordered didn't exist and that the factory would builkd our van without the heater. Even 6 weeks out from the build they weren't flexible enough to make this change, so we had to re-order.

If I was doing this again I'd ask for the option which is exactly the same as the SE. That way you know they'll be able to build it.

Sorry to hear that.

I've just had a look at the online brochure and it has parking heater listed under the standard equipment for the SE.

I can't find any info on the VW site that lists it as an option for the beach though.

Very frustrating. I'm trying to pull together a list of options that I'd like and then approach various online brokers for a quote.

I don't want to miss anything that I should have selected at the point of ordering though.

I'll add parking heater to the list.

Take a look at the options brochure that someone posted earlier in this section. It's a PDF of all the options.

Thanks. I'd been looking at the T5 brochure all along. Grrrr

They got the 510 installed for me at factory cost so that should certainly be considered an option for retro-fitting. If you're in the Surbiton part of the world I can give you the details of the third party company they used for it as well if you like.
There's not much involved in this upgrade (assuming you initially had RNS 3xx), it's plug and play especially as the GPS antenna is already fitted. I upgraded from 3xx to 510 myself (to match that fitted in my Superb) and added the high spec bluetooth/handsfree module at the same time. Both from the bay. Some tweaking was required with VAGCOM to tell it the module was fitted, but it all works properly including display on the MFD. Future upgrades are MFSW and CC :)

Am interested in who did your mod though as I am local to you and thinking of an amp/rear speaker fit (please PM).

Factory fitted options are covered by the 3 year VW warranty. Dealer fitted options may not. Need to check. Self fit certainly will not.

Back