Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which of the 6 heater options?

S

Stevecaterham7

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Have searched other threads and found a few clues as to some of the differences, but couldn't find a definitive guide as to the differences between all 6 of the different heater options on the T6. Can anyone simplify this for me please.

Would I be right in thinking the water heater options need engine temperature to work, or will they work any time? The 3 zone climate includes an auxiliary heater, is that the same as the standard water heater, or is it a 3rd type?

Hoping to finalise the order this week, so all clarifications and recommendations are much appreciated.

Too many unknowns re the T6 spec, nobody seems to know what half the options list is, better ask the dealer. Good luck.:thumb

Studying the German broschures I would say there are two different heater options.
The cheapest is the regular parkheater. It is using the normal heating system with the cooling/heating system of the van, but is not heating the engine. It is running off diesel and electricity. Comes with or without remote.
The more expensive one is using just air, hence it is half the power need of 3.5w vs 5.0. probably much quicker to heat the coupe if it is cold and takes less energy doing so.
I the german market only the beach can have the normal park heater. The Ocean and Coast has only the expensive as an option.

Making some progress on this, but the dealer wasn't totally sure to be honest.

It seems that the best route is to go with the 3 zone climate which includes a heater which has a timer and (the dealer thinks) a remote control.

The mega expensive version is an additional air heater over and above the water based one that is bundled with the 3 zone. This would seem to be overkill, unless you're going to be using it a lot in the deepest cold I guess.

Does that make sense to people?

Confusing all this is (sorry came over all Yoda there for a minute).

What I've been able to work out.

The heater linked to the climate control allows residual heat to be used for around 30 mins after parking up. No remote.

The parking heater is the same as in the current SE, runs off diesel and has a thermostat and remote.

Water heater - no idea.

If and when I spec my beach I'll be going for the option (in the brochure) that is next to the one that is standard for the Ocean. Figure at least that way I should get what the SE has now, which is what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confusing all this is (sorry came over all Yoda there for a minute).

What I've been able to work out.

The heater linked to the climate control allows residual heat to be used for around 30 mins after parking up. No remote.

The parking heater is the same as in the current SE, runs off diesel and has a thermostat and remote.

Water heater - no idea.

If and when I spec my beach I'll be going for the option (in the brochure) that is next to the one that is standard for the Ocean. Figure at least that way I should get what the SE has now, which is what I want.

Hmmm..I'd come to a similar conclusion, but dealer assures me the 3 zone climate heater will provide heat in the middle of the night, not just for 30 minutes.

What worries me is if he is wrong I've spent £750 on something that doesn't do what I want.

Can any current T5 owners with 3 zone climate confirm?

Must be something special for uk market, the three zone clima has nothing to do with the heater, could probably spec two zone and heater if you like.

Found a reference on here to the speccing of 3 zone climate as being important to ensure a decent re-sale value. It's a £700 option, and I think I'm more bothered about the heater than the temperature control bit in the back. Not sure what to go for.

@Stevecaterham7 I'm assuming you're looking at a Beach. If so I'm pretty sure that if you want heating during the night you need to spec the optional parking heater at about £1700. In the UK brochure there are two similar options for this and I'd go for the same option that the Ocean has as standard.

Logically I don't see why they'd offer the same function with the 3 zone climate at only £700.

I will probably go for both as I want the climate for the kids in the back when travelling and the diesel heater for when parked up at night.

Got the 3 zone and parking heater on my T5 beach. 3 zone has a 'rest' function that works on residue engine coolent temperature to heat for 30 min after the engine is switched off. All heating past this has to be done via the parking heater or via the mains hookup.

Beginning to get some more clarity around what all of the options are. Have been sent the detail below from VW. What they don't make clear is whether the auxiliary (water) heater will provide heat when the coolant is cold (but only get full heat when engine is warm), or does it need engine heat in order to warm the van (which would render it pretty useless over night).

7VA - this supplementary air heater is able to fully heat the air in the vehicle with the ignition switched off. It is controlled via the operating and display unit in the roof which has settings for the switch-on time, the day of the week and the desired temperature. Heat is guided into the vehicle via separate vents in the B-pillars.

7VG - this option provides an auxiliary heater combined with a supplementary air heater. The combination of two heaters enables the vehicle air to be fully heated when parked and supports the engine to heat the vehicle in cold conditions when driving. The supplementary air heater is controlled via the operating and display unit in the roof which has settings for the switch-on time, the day of the week and the desired temperature. Heat is guided into the vehicle via separate vents in the B-pillars.

7VF - this option provides an auxiliary heater combined with a supplementary air heater. The combination of two heaters enables the vehicle air to be fully heated when parked and supports the engine to heat the vehicle in cold conditions when driving. The supplementary air heater is controlled via either the radio remote control, providing on or off functionality, or via the operating and display unit in the roof which has settings for the switch-on time, the day of the week and the desired temperature. Heat is guided into the vehicle via separate vents in the B-pillars.

7VE - a water-based supplementary heater operating as an auxiliary heater. Controlled via the operating and display unit in the roof, it has functions for the switch-on time, the day of the week and the desired temperature. Heat is guided into the vehicle via the heating or air conditioning vents. The heat output depends on the coolant temperature – the full heat output is only available when the engine is at operating temperature.

7VL Auxiliary coolant heater with timer and remote control: a water-based supplementary heater operating as an auxiliary heater. It is controlled via either the radio remote control, providing on or off functionality, or via the operating and display unit in the roof with functions for the switch-on time, the day of the week and the desired temperature. Heat is guided into the vehicle via the heating or air conditioning vents. The heat output depends on the coolant temperature – the full heat output is only available when the engine is at operating temperature.

7VM Programmable parking heater with radio remote control: this supplementary air heater is able to fully heat the air in the vehicle with the ignition switched off. It is controlled via either the radio remote control, providing on or off functionality, or via the operating and display unit in the roof which has settings for the switch-on time, the day of the week and the desired temperature. Heat is guided into the vehicle via separate vents in the vehicle’s B-pillars.

Interesting. According to some german forums I have tried to read, the water version only heats for a short time and cant have a set temperaure. It is full on or nothing.
Also, the 7VA nore the 7VM option doesn't exist as an option, its water or air with or without remote.
The recommendation is if you are intended to sleep in the van vhile it is cold, get the air version (7VG or 7VF), if you only need the car to be frost free when you start it in the morning get the water version (7VE or 7VL). I am going for the most expensive air option even though it is nearly 1000£ more than the water version.

Got the 3 zone and parking heater on my T5 beach. 3 zone has a 'rest' function that works on residue engine coolent temperature to heat for 30 min after the engine is switched off. All heating past this has to be done via the parking heater or via the mains hookup.
So if you are on mains hook-up, are you saying that with the 3 zone climate option you can then heat the van over night without needing to use the air/parking heater?

No, 3 zone climatronic only has rest function when you stop for 30 mins, after that you need to fire up the night heater (runs on diesel). If you are EHU you can plug a heater in like an oil radiator.

Yep on hookup you can use a oil radiator or fan heater. Without hookup you can only use the parking heater or 3 zone for the first 30 min

Can you help me with the choice of engine heater. Have a little hard to decide which one is best. However, the seller recommends 7VF, is the seller right?

PR Code: 7VF - Parking heater with radio remote control plus auxiliary heater
PR Code: 9M4 - Auxiliary heating, timer, parking heater (water circulation)

7VF.png

9M4.png

7VF.png

9M4.png

Can you help me with the choice of engine heater. Have a little hard to decide which one is best. However, the seller recommends 7VF, is the seller right?

PR Code: 7VF - Parking heater with radio remote control plus auxiliary heater
PR Code: 9M4 - Auxiliary heating, timer, parking heater (water circulation)

View attachment 80442

View attachment 80443

View attachment 80444

View attachment 80445
The seller is correct.
That gives you a diesel air heater that you can use 24 hrs a day if you wish and runs off the Leisure Batteries + a separate heater that speeds up engine coolant heating on a cold, 5c or less, day and is completely automatic.

The 2nd option just gives the engine coolant heater that can warm the vehicle but will only run for a limited time as it will flatten the engine battery.

Does it means that 7VF has both water and air heater. Water heater to the engine and air heater for the cabin?

Does it means that 7VF has both water and air heater. Water heater to the engine and air heater for the cabin?
That's my interpretation. But we have different Options in the UK.
The engine coolant heater is standard on all Californias.
The air Parking Heater is standard on the Ocean and possibly the Coast. But an Option on the Beach.
Whichever is the more expensive Option should include both heaters.

Back