Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T7 Spyshots.

VW has also said its smaller car based chassis isn't apt for commercial loads. That job will be covered by the electric Buzz starting next year, and the diesel/hybrid VW rebadged Turkish made Transit starting in 2024. No word on who will make the next California.

Maybe both. Coming Forum fight: my German electric Buzz Beach is better than your diesel Turkish Transit based Ocean? :eek:
I can’t help thinking the T6.1 is the end of the line for the Cali we know and love and that it’s successor is likely to be a very different beast. In my mind, the jury is out as to whether it will suit my needs. I’d love to have an electric vehicle, but I think I’ll end up keeping my 2017 Ocean for another decade.

Amazing so much investment in new diesel engines is going in with 8 years to go (13 for hybrid)...
My understanding is that the ban only applies to Cars and vans ie under 3.5 tonnes leaving diesel around for a while until battery powered electric or something else becomes viable for larger vehicles.
Could a diesel electric hybrid T series / cali end up weighing over 3.5 tonnes and escaping the legislation?

Paint job might look good on a Cali :)

61228C71-DEEA-47AA-9466-62918F10E58F.png

hhhmmm...... is the driver sitting in the middle of the van there? :eek:

and theyre releasing this in June ?

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/05/07/vw-t7-multivan-teaser-image/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000015
Yep, like I mentioned on another post, the forward false A pillar is to disguise that the new platform is a long nosed car platform. It makes visibility worse, but just like with the new Buzz, it's meant to give the impression of being a van, while the rearward placed front row doesn't give the space efficiency of a van. Just imagine eliminating the front A pillar and suddenly you can see it's a car. It's basically a modified Caddy chassis with a false van nose stuck on.

Last edited:
Beauty was never a VW issue...

VW will stay ugly.jpg e0a0c67ab148b49a1bd5c3e061ca5b67.jpg
49056174142_d9bba5e3e5_4k.jpg6b7c29f06d3e4a72dd2f9be67b2348c4.jpg
Schermafbeelding 2021-05-08 om 04.34.25.jpg
If I look at that evolutionary scheme, they seem to use 'ugly' again as a USP.
Sorry, I just like them 'straight'.

Last edited:
Until VW claim that the T7 can carry at least 2 Euro pallets then I won't even consider it as a possible replacement for the cali, what it looks like is all very interesting but unless it can carry at least 1 tonne then it can't be a cali.

VW confirmed the T7 won't be used as a platform for the California. Also other heavy chassis will continue to be built on a 6.1.
so you aren't going to drive an electric california any time soon
Do you have a link for this source of info?

Do you have a link for this source of info?
Certainly. You are from Switzerland, do you speak german? google translation below checked by me.

Mit der MQB-Plattform hat der T7 also eher eine Pkw-Basis, die zwar bestimmt komfortabel, aber weniger robust sein wird. Beispielsweise wird der MQB nicht so eine hohe Nutzlast zur Verfügung stellen, wie sie gewerblich genutzte Fahrzeuge in der Regel benötigen. Als klassisches Nutzfahrzeug bleibt deshalb der T6.1 weiterhin verfügbar, auch nach dem Marktstart des T7.

Trotz vieler Anpassungen wird sich der neue VW T7 sicherlich schwertun. Als Campingbus ist die Zuladung zu gering, weshalb WohnmobilistInnen wohl eher auf den 6.1 zurückgreifen werden, der durch größere Kapazitäten überzeugt. Ein anderes Problem bleibt die Elektromobilität. Der Wunsch nach einem mit Strom angetriebenen Campingbus mit ordentlich Reichweite bleibt unerfüllt.

and :
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/neuheiten/vw-bus-t7-2021-fotos-daten-design-motoren/
Der Nachteil des MQB: Die Plattform ist nicht für den harten Einsatz als Nutzfahrzeug ausgelegt – daher bleibt der VW T6.1 auch nach der Markteinführung des T7 als Nutzfahrzeug und California im Programm.

Translation for the forum:

With the MQB platform, the T7 has more of a car base, which will certainly be comfortable, but less robust. For example, the MQB will not provide as high a payload as commercially used vehicles usually require. As a classic commercial vehicle, the T6.1 will therefore continue to be available, even after the market launch of the T7.

Despite many adjustments, the new VW T7 will certainly struggle. As a camping bus, the payload is too low, which is why mobile home owners are more likely to fall back on the 6.1, which impresses with its larger capacities. Electromobility remains another problem. The desire for an electricity-powered camper van with a decent range remains unfulfilled.

The disadvantage of the MQB: The platform is not designed for tough use as a commercial vehicle - so the VW T6.1 will remain in the range even after the T7 has been launched as a commercial vehicle and California.

Certainly. You are from Switzerland, do you speak german? google translation below checked by me.

Mit der MQB-Plattform hat der T7 also eher eine Pkw-Basis, die zwar bestimmt komfortabel, aber weniger robust sein wird. Beispielsweise wird der MQB nicht so eine hohe Nutzlast zur Verfügung stellen, wie sie gewerblich genutzte Fahrzeuge in der Regel benötigen. Als klassisches Nutzfahrzeug bleibt deshalb der T6.1 weiterhin verfügbar, auch nach dem Marktstart des T7.

Trotz vieler Anpassungen wird sich der neue VW T7 sicherlich schwertun. Als Campingbus ist die Zuladung zu gering, weshalb WohnmobilistInnen wohl eher auf den 6.1 zurückgreifen werden, der durch größere Kapazitäten überzeugt. Ein anderes Problem bleibt die Elektromobilität. Der Wunsch nach einem mit Strom angetriebenen Campingbus mit ordentlich Reichweite bleibt unerfüllt.

and :
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/neuheiten/vw-bus-t7-2021-fotos-daten-design-motoren/
Der Nachteil des MQB: Die Plattform ist nicht für den harten Einsatz als Nutzfahrzeug ausgelegt – daher bleibt der VW T6.1 auch nach der Markteinführung des T7 als Nutzfahrzeug und California im Programm.

With the MQB platform, the T7 has more of a car base, which will certainly be comfortable, but less robust. For example, the MQB will not provide as high a payload as commercially used vehicles usually require. As a classic commercial vehicle, the T6.1 will therefore continue to be available, even after the market launch of the T7.

Despite many adjustments, the new VW T7 will certainly struggle. As a camping bus, the payload is too low, which is why mobile home owners are more likely to fall back on the 6.1, which impresses with its larger capacities. Electromobility remains another problem. The desire for an electricity-powered camper van with a decent range remains unfulfilled.

The disadvantage of the MQB: The platform is not designed for tough use as a commercial vehicle - so the VW T6.1 will remain in the range even after the T7 has been launched as a commercial vehicle and California.
So also a 3rd Party " informed" comment.

and :

"daher bleibt der VW T6.1 auch nach der Markteinführung des T7 als Nutzfahrzeug und California im Programm."

"so the VW T6.1 will remain in the range even after the T7 has been launched as a commercial vehicle and California."

I think the English version would be clearer like this:

"so the VW T6.1 will remain in the range as a commercial vehicle and California even after the T7 has been launched."

"daher bleibt der VW T6.1 auch nach der Markteinführung des T7 als Nutzfahrzeug und California im Programm."

"so the VW T6.1 will remain in the range even after the T7 has been launched as a commercial vehicle and California."

I think the English version would be clearer like this:

"so the VW T6.1 will remain in the range as a commercial vehicle and California even after the T7 has been launched."
agreed, google translator is good but not perfect

Bottom line then is don’t wait in vain for a T7 based California (or an all electric T6.1).
Get those orders in :)

So also a 3rd Party " informed" comment.
They are two popular german Motorhome and car magazines... I think they are at the moment in a position to have more info available than somebody else.
Of course it is not a statement from VW itself.
Math on the back of an envelope: electric vehicles weight 500-600kg more than a comparable car, still with limited range. Is it logic to think that a Cali that already weights 3ton might need even bigger/heavier batteries? I'd say so. It is going to be tough to stay within the 3,5tons, driving on slim wheels with incredible pressure.
It may be doable, but I'd say don't count on it any time soon. Happy to be proved wrong btw.

They are two popular german Motorhome and car magazines... I think they are at the moment in a position to have more info available than somebody else.
Of course it is not a statement from VW itself.
Math on the back of an envelope: electric vehicles weight 500-600kg more than a comparable car, still with limited range. Is it logic to think that a Cali that already weights 3ton might need even bigger/heavier batteries? I'd say so. It is going to be tough to stay within the 3,5tons, driving on slim wheels with incredible pressure.
It may be doable, but I'd say don't count on it any time soon. Happy to be proved wrong btw.
The presumption is that the California will continue as is.
The new platform is supposed to to be used for the Caravelle/Multivan. What is the base vehicle for the California?
Why introduce the Grand California into a market that was already well served.
We will just have to wait but I'm suspicious that the T6. 1 was introduced so quickly after the T6. More of a test bed for things to come.

The presumption is that the California will continue as is.
The new platform is supposed to to be used for the Caravelle/Multivan. What is the base vehicle for the California?
Why introduce the Grand California into a market that was already well served.
We will just have to wait but I'm suspicious that the T6. 1 was introduced so quickly after the T6. More of a test bed for things to come.
VW is selling Calis at , let's be honest, ridiculous prices. We often say it is because they can get away with that., i.e. there is strong demand. They certainly aren't going to change the Cali as we know it anyway dramatically, other than very small and little upgrades as they've always done.
This is true not only for the Cali, but all models from the VW group. Every new model is a small update/facelift than the predecessor. VW is extremely conservative and careful not to loose their clients/market shares by changing formulas/models that so far have worked very well for them.
On the Cali in particular, which in many countries is some sort of a Cult , from the 60'ies, they won't risk loosing that, which is undoubtedly helping their sales.
Personal opinion of course.
The T6.1 isn't much different from T6. It brings what people are looking for now, safety with assisted drive features. Behing the B pillar the changes are very minor updates, same as under the bonnet.

As you say the Cali is a brand that allows inflated prices, and the Caddy Cali shows the direction of travel. I can imagine a "Cali-lite" based on the T7, giving them a Cali brand from the Caddy up to the Grand.

VW confirmed the T7 won't be used as a platform for the California. Also other heavy chassis will continue to be built on a 6.1.
so you aren't going to drive an electric california any time soon

No they haven’t, they confirmed that the T7 will be used for the California. The work vans will continue to be T6.1.

Or at least that was my understanding.

No they haven’t, they confirmed that the T7 will be used for the California. The work vans will continue to be T6.1.

Or at least that was my understanding.
And where did you read that? Please see my posts above with the relevant articles

And where did you read that? Please see my posts above with the relevant articles

I did read the articles but im not sure if they are from VW?

This video from VW seems to imply that the California will use the T7 platform. I could be wrong of course as the presenter doesn’t make it extremely clear!

This thread is a duplicate of https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/t7-california-hybrid-to-be-presented-in-june-2021.39581/

Which has much of this conversation already.

Personally I'd be surprised if they don't have a T7 California eventually. I think they will sell the 6.1 California and 7 vans side by side up until the T7 California is released, which will be after the Multivan and Caravelle owing to the additional complexity/engineering required. They need to get rid of the T6.1 eventually, which it looks like will be when they move to a common commercial van platform with Ford, but I don't think they will build California on this platform. All guesses.

At least the sliding door is on the proper side!