Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TAIL GATE AWNING SUITABLE FOR BIKE RACK?

chris spencer

chris spencer

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi All. Can anyone suggest a tailgate awing that can be used when bikes are on the rack? If this is at all possible. Ideally we want to keep our bikes on the tailgate other wise they are not secure. I thought they might do one with straps rather than canvas over the tailgate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We don't need anything too big. Just somewhere to cook and sit.

You cannot lift the tailgate with the bike on the tailgate rack for 2 reasons

1 - weight of bike on rack is too much for the struts and it will not stay up

2 - the handlebars of the bikes can dent the roof (a few people have done this on the forum)

When I carry bikes they are the last thing on and first off on any trip. I never lift the tailgate with bikes on the rack.

Take a decent cable lock/cable extension and d lock. d lock the bikes together and then cable lock the bikes to one of the wheels. This would be as if not more secure that leaving them on the rack.

I was always under the presumption that the reason for the powerful struts was so that you could indeed lift the tailgate with a couple of bikes. Both of my bikes have carbon frames and are extremely lightweight. However I am glad that you mentioned the handle bars hitting the roof as I will check there positions before opening the tailgate. Either way it seems that the bikes will have to be removed over night as I think the pop top would definitely hit the bikes if raised together. I appreciate you giving me the heads up.

Not sure what your options are but I've gone the tow bar route and one of the reasons being is I want easy access to the rear door and security. Idea being that bikes can be locked on tow bar rack which will be put in a pop up utility tent I have when I'm on site. Bikes should be secure and out of sight and tent doubles up as somewhere to put the portaloo

Mike

Thanks Mike. I had already committed to purchasing the vw rack. I will just have to see how I get on but thanks for your help.

Thanks Mike. I had already committed to purchasing the vw rack. I will just have to see how I get on but thanks for your help.
The rack also makes a great cloths drying rack when on the site. #worldsmostexpensiveairer

Last summer we did a 5.5K tour in Europe with 4 bikes on the tailgate.
Often the tailgate was left open with the bikes on it... by using a pole. We use one of those extensible poles intended for painting high walls. Very compact and convenient.
By arranging the bikes in the correct order and turning steering wheel from the front wheel, the bikes did NOT touch the roof.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10351269/cali/20160806_181804_HDR.jpg

We have the (carbon) bikes in the two middle positions on the genuine T6 rack, so we can open the tailgate with the bikes still on ant notning hitting the roof (when roof down).

We also always amount the bikes as the last, and remove as the first. Bringing a Kryptonite Lock and cable.

That said, there are several tailgate awnings mounted underneath, so the rack can stay.

Back