Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate 'California' lettering

BikerGran

BikerGran

Growing old disgracefully
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Mine has always been missing (yes, it really IS a California!) so when I saw one advertised I decided to replace it. Problem is, the letters look too big to me but I suppose I've never looked very closely, also I need to know exactly where to position it.

I wonder if someone could measure the height of the letters and length of the word? And also maybe give some idea of how much the letters stand proud? And a picture of a tailgate to show me where to position it?

Thanks in advance!

my 2006 is 150mm down from bottom edge of rear window and 30mm
in.
like the plan from loz. a = 30mm

Thanks all, that's great!

What about the actual dimensions of the letters? And I'd love to see a photo to make sure mine look right before applying them!

Have you received them yet? I'm sure they are supplied with a backing template so you get them in the right place. If not, google is your friend and look at the images, may be helpful?.

The size is the same as the TDI IIRC.

The letters come prearranged so you can stick them on all at once with the correct spacing.

SMG Tonbridge can order you an official set about £20 inc postage

Last edited:
Mine are starting to bubble on the silver coating. I’m unsure whether to risk it for a biscuit and do it myself or let them do it under warranty when it goes in for service along with my squeaky engine serpent belt.

Can you get the TDI badges too? The red on my D and I letters has completely faded.
Must be the sun daarn saaf.

The length of the lettering is 270mm x 30mm.View attachment 34466
Thanks that's perfect - the first picture worried me but the font is the same as your picture!

Oh and yes, I've now discovered mine are pre-arranged with a film on the front to help with positioning! I didn't like to take them out of the plastic bag till I knew what I was doing!

Many thanks to all who responded!

VW seemed to move the signage around on the tailgate depending on...year? whim? operator? who knows.

Mine are aligned lower, with the reversing light.

Alan

fullsizeoutput_624.jpeg

Back